BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Liberal Hypocrisy

08-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #133
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
With that logic pain killing medications should never have been invented b/c some people use them to their detriment.
Well that's the logic dude is using.

Complaining about the devices that his generation made.

I got into a similiar discussion with another person in my neighborhood. Past generations taught us millenials to get educated and get jobs in tech, tolerant different races and cultures, care about the environment and such.

Well now we are grown up doing exactly that, and yet all the past generations do is whine about it. Like damn y'all mad that we actually listened to you?

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #134
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie_2005 View Post
Well that's the logic dude is using.

Complaining about the devices that his generation made.

I got into a similiar discussion with another person in my neighborhood. Past generations taught us millenials to get educated and get jobs in tech, tolerant different races and cultures, care about the environment and such.

Well now we are grown up doing exactly that, and yet all the past generations do is whine about it. Like damn y'all mad that we actually listened to you?
I understand your point, but, the near addiction of so many people to "being connected" is not great. The people happy millennials listened and have become so enamored with telecom tech are making money off of it. (just watch an hour of TV and if it isn't a car related advert it's a phone or data package.)

It's almost become a sort of cocoon for people. I know I'm guilty of that.

I wish our Pres would stay off of Twitter a bit.
      08-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #135
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand your point, but, the near addiction of so many people to "being connected" is not great. The people happy millennials listened and have become so enamored with telecom tech are making money off of it. (just watch an hour of TV and if it isn't a car related advert it's a phone or data package.)

It's almost become a sort of cocoon for people. I know I'm guilty of that.

I wish our Pres would stay off of Twitter a bit.
i agree with the addiction comment. I do think it's a borderline addiction with the majority of the world.

how, is that millennial specific issue, or did it just happen to become an issue during our generation?

for example, let's say the devices came out in the 80's. is that then a generation Y problem? and that's my point: we get into this "my generation/your generation" arguments thinking that the buck has to stop with someone, but the reality is that the buck never stops, because it can't.

i mean damn bro, if i could listen to each generation complain, i'm sure this country has been going down the shitter since 1776 lol. most issues can't be chalked up to blaming it on generations, yet it's easy to attempt to scapegoat an entire group that way one doesn't have to take any responsibility for their own efforts into the problem.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #136
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

It's different.

The Millennials enjoy a rich and prosperous life without doing anything; hence their laziness.
This generation enjoys the spoils of parents who are inheriting wealth from the baby boomers and continually complain of the lack of opportunity and the price of real estate, so they just party on.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410230.00
Delta03117395.00
gjm1201328.50

08-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #137
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how, is that millennial specific issue, or did it just happen to become an issue during our generation?
Probably just timing, but, that doesn't make it positive. I do believe that millennials have had it generally easier than previous generations and have a hard time accepting that things don't always go your way. Maybe baby boomers had it easy as well. Not the same absolute level of material 'stuff' but still a lot more relative to previous generations. And that showed in some of the excesses of some in that group.

I think I'm guilty of a thread jacking
      08-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #138
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i respectfully disagree, especially implying that we are lazy.

each generation has it "easier" than the next. that's how it's SUPPOSE to work. the next generation that comes after us is gonna have it easier than us millennials, and so on and so on.

i'm pretty sure the people who grew up in the 1920's will think the people who lived through the 1980's are a bunch of pussies. i'm sure the people who grew up in 1800' will think the people whining about the great depression during the 1920's were just whining.

really the generation argument holds little water. especially since if it actually did, then the people who are complaining about millennials should show some responsibility in being horrible parents, as they generally are the ones who raised said millennials.

it's funny that the people who imply that millennials are lazy and don't take responsibility are the ones not taking any responsibility.

a vicious cycle.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #139
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:

each generation has it "easier" than the next. that's how it's SUPPOSE to work. the next generation that comes after us is gonna have it easier than us millennials, and so on and so on.

i'm pretty sure the people who grew up in the 1920's will think the people who lived through the 1980's are a bunch of pussies. i'm sure the people who grew up in 1800' will think the people whining about the great depression during the 1920's were just whining.

really the generation argument holds little water. especially since if it actually did, then the people who are complaining about millennials should show some responsibility in being horrible parents, as they generally are the ones who raised said millennials.

it's funny that the people who imply that millennials are lazy and don't take responsibility are the ones not taking any responsibility.

a vicious cycle.
I agree and disagree. Generally, the older generation has something to complain about the newer generation and vice versa. However, each generation generally shares unique characteristics and are a product of their times, which was basically built by the previous generations. Are we to blame the old or the new for what has become the now? That's another debate.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #140
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:

a vicious cycle.
I respectfully disagree. Gen X should be taking the major responsibility for where millennials are today. The PC mentality taken to extreme that gave us participation trophies and the everyone is a winner mentality has made a generation that cannot accept losing. You are right that the ones that raised the millenials should show some responsibility for raising pussies. Of course, not all Gen X parents raised their millennial offspring like that and as with any other generation, there are some outstanding millenials - some.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #141
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Probably just timing, but, that doesn't make it positive. I do believe that millennials have had it generally easier than previous generations and have a hard time accepting that things don't always go your way. Maybe baby boomers had it easy as well. Not the same absolute level of material 'stuff' but still a lot more relative to previous generations. And that showed in some of the excesses of some in that group.

I think I'm guilty of a thread jacking
I hate the bad rap that millennials always get. I am one but definitely not the stereotypical(in the eyes of media and Gen X) millennial but this annoys me so much. Studies/analysis have proven that we are not really any more lazy or entitled than any other generation. And you guys(not you specifically) are the ones that raised "us" so if anything you are partly to blame.

I do agree on the PC and everyone's a winner aspect though.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...ntent=deeplink

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4168299...n_tab_contents
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #142
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I hate the bad rap that millennials always get. I am one but definitely not the stereotypical(in the eyes of media and Gen X) millennial but this annoys me so much. Studies/analysis have proven that we are not really any more lazy or entitled than any other generation. And you guys(not you specifically) are the ones that raised "us" so if anything you are partly to blame.

I do agree on the PC and everyone's a winner aspect though.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...ntent=deeplink

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4168299...n_tab_contents
Stereotyping Millennials, like any stereotyping, results in being wrong a lot of the time. Having said that, carrying on with the BabyBoomer / Millennial comparison - BabyBoomers "misbehaved" with some of the anit-war protests, campus takeovers, etc, etc. They were protesting a war where people were being killed and maimed in large numbers. (admit that many of the protestors and rioters were just caught up in the fun). Now fast forward to Trump's election. Some of the Millennial reaction is nearly comical. And the nonsense going on in Universities is truly comical. Pets to calm the hurt from the election, time off, and on and on. Just the other day a friend sent me a link where a professor at my Alma Mater is allowing students to choose their grade if they don't agree with the grade given to them as a stress reduction measure. And this is a fairly conservative school and not a sort of fluff course.

My very cynical assessment is that Millennials are being played by big business (not oil or steel or auto) for their $$ and being played by one political party for votes. By the links you posted I don't think you are being manipulated.
Delta03117395.00

08-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #143
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Liberal hypocrisy! Ha Double Negative for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #144
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post
Liberal hypocrisy! Ha Double Negative for sure!
Didn't you mean oxymoron?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
Katin114.00

08-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #145
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I agree and disagree. Generally, the older generation has something to complain about the newer generation and vice versa. However, each generation generally shares unique characteristics and are a product of their times, which was basically built by the previous generations. Are we to blame the old or the new for what has become the now? That's another debate.
i agree with you that each generation has their own defining characteristics.

I just don't think "laziness" is one of those characteristics that fits ANY generation. that's on an individual basis.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #146
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Gen X should be taking the major responsibility for where millennials are today. The PC mentality taken to extreme that gave us participation trophies and the everyone is a winner mentality has made a generation that cannot accept losing. You are right that the ones that raised the millenials should show some responsibility for raising pussies. Of course, not all Gen X parents raised their millennial offspring like that and as with any other generation, there are some outstanding millenials - some.
you might have a point with the PC mentality. but i can definitely counter that, however that starts becoming a different topic...or is it?

PC mentality doesn't equal pussies.

i think most millennials, just like most of any generation, are average - outstanding. the few that are scumbags are part of a percentage of people who the world has to always deal with being shit since the beginning of time. it's nothing new, and won't be any different in the future.

for example, should i blame an ENTIRE generation for giving us the war on drugs? how many people come from that generation that didn't support that nonsense?

should i blame an entire generation for giving us Boy George?

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #147
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

should i blame an entire generation for giving us Boy George?
Or Justin Bieber
      08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #148
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or Justin Bieber
Blame Canada

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #149
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Blame Canada

Works for me
      08-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #150
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 5
SakhirM410230.00
Zippster459.00
MR92_46.50
sirdaft11995.50

08-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #151
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Robin_NL5069.50
NickyC6343.50
SakhirM410230.00
anglo56341.00
scostu1227.50

08-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #152
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
+10000

See Barcelona thread...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #153
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Another example of the tolerant left for us all. Obviously she will neither be asked to resign, nor will she face any repercussions most likely. Fake news surely won't cover it either.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...p-assassinated
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #154
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Another example of the tolerant left for us all. Obviously she will neither be asked to resign, nor will she face any repercussions most likely. Fake news surely won't cover it either.

In all fairness:
Asked about the comment, Chappelle-Nadal later told the Post-Dispatch that she was just "frustrated" and didn't really mean it.

"I didn't mean what I put up. Absolutely not. I was very frustrated. Things have got to change."
Appreciate 0