BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) WHEN will HAM take up the challenge?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      Today, 04:43 AM   #177
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
803
Rep
3,715
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
I still, having read the relevant section of the FIA Technical Regulations and Sporting Regulations do not see how DAS is actually legal.

It changes the TOE of the car, not the STEERING.
TOE is a function of suspension, much like camber and castor, and those are required to be fixed by the rules.

If it changed the CAMBER by leaning the tyres in or straightening them up, that would not be allowed. But somehow it has been interpreted as steering, which it is not.


Fair play to Mercedes though, they interpreted a loophole, brought the FIA in and got a ruling on it BEFORE they incorporated it into the car. By the time any other teams knew about it in Barca testing 2020, it was too late for the rest of the teams to catch up.


But there is no way that it is a steering thing, it is definitely altering suspension characteristics, and that for me given the words of the regulations mean it should not have been permitted, and when they enquired with the FIA, the FIA should have said no.
An interesting point but I would have thought (as did the FIA arbitrators) that the DAS system does not affect the suspension nor the cars aerodynamics and therefore was not covered under any technical (or sporting) regulation banning such a system.
Although a little bit of a stretch (in the sense that the devices principle aim is not about steering the car) it does seem fair to include the device under steering as toe angle does indeed actually affect the steering.

Its a bit of a storm in a tea cup as all teams have had plenty of time (since the beginning of the season) to add a similar device to their cars but apparently no one thought it was worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:44 AM   #178
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
273
Rep
2,133
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montrťal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Did you watch the 2007 season perchance?
No idea what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:16 AM   #179
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
803
Rep
3,715
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
No idea what you mean.
Hamiltons rookie season in F1
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:42 AM   #180
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
273
Rep
2,133
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montrťal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Hamiltons rookie season in F1
Again, not sure what you're getting at. Ppl don't have much objectivity if they think they can take into account and pkg up all those variables.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:45 AM   #181
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
273
Rep
2,133
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montrťal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I agree for the most part with what you say.
However if the 2- 33%ers keep setting up their weak commentary its inevitable it will be knocked down.
They can fool themselves into thinking my premise can be knocked down but then they would not be coming from a place of logic.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:26 PM   #182
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
6957
Rep
5,315
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The only thing I agree with in this post.
Then you don't know a lot about F1 mate.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:36 PM   #183
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
7549
Rep
7,807
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Then you don't know a lot about F1 mate.
I already admitted that for the most part and itís funny coming from you. Maybe you should dial back on calling others dumb etc and look at all of your own nonsensical posts.

Itís quite obvious to everyone you donít know shit. Your buddy appreciates your posts only because he agrees with your point of view.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 02:28 PM   #184
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
6957
Rep
5,315
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I already admitted that for the most part and itís funny coming from you. Maybe you should dial back on calling others dumb etc and look at all of your own nonsensical posts.

Itís quite obvious to everyone you donít know shit. Your buddy appreciates your posts only because he agrees with your point of view.
I don't read every single post but going by your avatar one may have guessed that.
It's a public forum but I guess you enjoy your own clueless posts, at least I support a some other drivers/team and don't change my spots to whoever is winning.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:41 PM   #185
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
7549
Rep
7,807
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I don't read every single post but going by your avatar one may have guessed that.
It's a public forum but I guess you enjoy your own clueless posts, at least I support a some other drivers/team and don't change my spots to whoever is winning.
Itís quite obvious you donít read others posts as Iím not necessarily a big fan of MB or HAM. I respect them and recognize what theyíve done though. Iíve always been more of a VET fan and support a lot of other teams/hope they keep developing to make the races more entertaining.

What about my avatar, Iím hockey fan so what? Itís a public forum, what?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:23 PM   #186
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
803
Rep
3,715
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Again, not sure what you're getting at. Ppl don't have much objectivity if they think they can take into account and pkg up all those variables.
Fair enough.
Myself I think there are certain metrics and comparisons that give a pretty good indication of where any particular certain driver sits in the overall rating of modern F1 drivers.
But sure no one can be 100% certain.
I ask about the 2007 season (which you obviously didn't see) because it was the most outstanding rookie season of any driver pretty much in the history of F1...not because of the car but because of who Hamiltons was up against in the other car.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; Today at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:08 PM   #187
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
6957
Rep
5,315
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It’s quite obvious you don’t read others posts as I’m not necessarily a big fan of MB or HAM. I respect them and recognize what they’ve done though. I’ve always been more of a VET fan and support a lot of other teams/hope they keep developing to make the races more entertaining.

What about my avatar, I’m hockey fan so what? It’s a public forum, what?
Nothing wrong with your avatar mate it's just unusual you being on F1 site with ice hockey avatar.
Something we surprisingly have in common is that we both like Seb,there was a poll on an F1 website and he came much higher than HAM of being the most liked driver out of the lot in UK,(don't ask me to bring it up, look it up yourself.
As you said already that you have little knowledge F1 so how do you know I'm talking sh*t,eh and do you read everyone's posts if you go on a ice hockey site?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST