BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Road Noise Question

11-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
twssas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi, 2018 X5, 2014 Z4

Road Noise Question

Currently have a 2014 Z4, and considering ordering a new 2021 Z4 M40.

Local dealer has not had anything to test drive, but the other day recieved a 2019 Z4 3.0 MSport in trade, with 13,000 mile, with the stock Michelens.

Thought this would be our best opportunity to at least see how the new G29 felt compared to our existing Z4.

Results of the test drive were great. Loved the feel of the car, the room inside compared to our existing Z4, the electronics, etc. One issue though I wanted to ask here to existing owners was about the road noise.

We did our drive with top up. On the streets, noise level seemed acceptable, could carry on conversation easily.(slow speeds) On the interstate at anywhere from 60-85 MPH, it was quite noisey, much more difficult to have a conversation, and in order to hear the logic 7 radio, had to really crank up the volume. Same interstate our existing Z4 much more quiet (expected that given it is a hardtop), but did not expect that much of an impact with the soft top.

Don't know if tires being at 13,000 miles impacted noise level in combination with surface of interstate, or if it is the engine/exhaust sounds and if this is just a factor of a soft top. We were in comfort mode.

Again, looking for some feedback on experiences. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
badfitter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

I've never driven with the top up...
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfitter View Post
I've never driven with the top up...
I live in England......

Can’t say it’s any louder than the 124 spiders I had. I think if you go for a soft top there are a few compromises.

I wonder if thread Author knows that some of the car noise is electronically created over the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
I live in England......

Can’t say it’s any louder than the 124 spiders I had. I think if you go for a soft top there are a few compromises.

I wonder if thread Author knows that some of the car noise is electronically created over the speakers?
Thanks for the feedback. I was aware of the enhanced sound through the speakers, and with regard to that topic, can you turn it down or off?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was aware of the enhanced sound through the speakers, and with regard to that topic, can you turn it down or off?
I think there was a thread somewhere about Bimmercode mod giving you the option.....?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

I did a little research on the "active sound" feature that many BMWs have. Apparently on model years 2020 and up, you can go into I drive, and there is a category under "car", that says engine noise and then gives you several different options to select, ranging from reduced to sporty and several other possibilities.

The car we test drove was a used 2019 Z4, so what we may have been hearing was whatever is "piped" into the speakers. I actually found the noise in that car to be somewhat obtrusive. Loved how it handled and drove, but now hoping the sound we heard was this active sound feature.

Anyone played with that setting in I drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I did a little research on the "active sound" feature that many BMWs have. Apparently on model years 2020 and up, you can go into I drive, and there is a category under "car", that says engine noise and then gives you several different options to select, ranging from reduced to sporty and several other possibilities.

The car we test drove was a used 2019 Z4, so what we may have been hearing was whatever is "piped" into the speakers. I actually found the noise in that car to be somewhat obtrusive. Loved how it handled and drove, but now hoping the sound we heard was this active sound feature.

Anyone played with that setting in I drive?
I have a 2020 M40i. I am unaware of a setting for ASD (sound through speakers). It doesn't bother me and is far less that my M4. In addition, we do not find the sound level high with the top up at all. Easy conversation, music listening, phone use, etc. It is actually fairly quiet. With the top down, it it a whole different experience, but it is supposed to be. My experience did not match yours at all and I have been driving it for over a year.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have a 2020 M40i. I am unaware of a setting for ASD (sound through speakers). It doesn't bother me and is far less that my M4. In addition, we do not find the sound level high with the top up at all. Easy conversation, music listening, phone use, etc. It is actually fairly quiet. With the top down, it it a whole different experience, but it is supposed to be. My experience did not match yours at all and I have been driving it for over a year.
Appreciate the feedback. Very helpful. Could have been just this particular car we tested. Maybe combination of tires, road surface, etc. Certainly could not have a decent conversation or enjoy the radio at all.

Regarding the ASD, I am finding conflicting information now that the abilility to adjust the level of "engine noise" feature may not be available on all I drives. I looked a 2021 owners manual, and it indicated that it was only available in select markets. Perhaps North America is not one of those markets. I'll keep looking. But defineatley have read multiple articles published in the U.S. that this feature was there. Apparently not.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 sdrive30i

ASD can be flashed out with bimmercode. I did it myself after cabin noise became a bit too much after a catless downpipe and muffler delete. I noticed a pretty big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:16 AM   #10
Z4Racer1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Currently have a 2014 Z4, and considering ordering a new 2021 Z4 M40.

Local dealer has not had anything to test drive, but the other day recieved a 2019 Z4 3.0 MSport in trade, with 13,000 mile, with the stock Michelens.

Thought this would be our best opportunity to at least see how the new G29 felt compared to our existing Z4.

Results of the test drive were great. Loved the feel of the car, the room inside compared to our existing Z4, the electronics, etc. One issue though I wanted to ask here to existing owners was about the road noise.

We did our drive with top up. On the streets, noise level seemed acceptable, could carry on conversation easily.(slow speeds) On the interstate at anywhere from 60-85 MPH, it was quite noisey, much more difficult to have a conversation, and in order to hear the logic 7 radio, had to really crank up the volume. Same interstate our existing Z4 much more quiet (expected that given it is a hardtop), but did not expect that much of an impact with the soft top.

Don't know if tires being at 13,000 miles impacted noise level in combination with surface of interstate, or if it is the engine/exhaust sounds and if this is just a factor of a soft top. We were in comfort mode.

Again, looking for some feedback on experiences. Thanks!

It's definitely noisier than the M240i convertible I had. The roads in Arizona are horrible. All of the tar evaporates from the pavement leaving an extremely rough surface. If I can find a smooth surface it's actually not bad with the radio a little louder than normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #11
jagi00
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, X5 3.0 M Sport,X5 45e

I find my 2021 spec M40i generates a bit less road noise than my last E89 probably due to no run flats on the new car. However, I find that my M40i suffers from more wind noise compared to my E89 when the top and windows are down. I think that this is due to the ugly gap at the side where the top folds down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0