BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Florida peeps, wya?

08-21-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Florida peeps, wya?

As the title states, where are you guys? My best friend and I are moving there this fall. Not entirely sure where. We've outgrown our small mountain town, and I promise we're not libs here to infiltrate lol. I know natives aren't fond of everyone moving in; if it makes anyone feel any better, the majority of transplants in my area this year are from FL as well!

I'd love to get some background info, TIA

And here's our little convoy
Attached Images

08-22-2023, 08:19 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Welcome to FL.

I moved to FL for school in 1986 and haven’t left. My wife and I are in Wellington, which is west of West Palm Beach (561 area code). Bought our house in 2002.

Best to decide what type of area in which you’d like to live. City, suburbs, country, beaches, inland, etc. Southeast FL very different that panhandle. Northern FL can be pretty similar to Georgia and Alabama. Obviously it gets hot, there is exposure to storms and insurance is probably the most expensive in the country. But can’t beat winters and there are no state income taxes.
MoeTE87656.00
nerdogray1301.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      08-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
As the title states, where are you guys? My best friend and I are moving there this fall. Not entirely sure where. We've outgrown our small mountain town, and I promise we're not libs here to infiltrate lol. I know natives aren't fond of everyone moving in; if it makes anyone feel any better, the majority of transplants in my area this year are from FL as well!

I'm moving there late October/early November. Port Saint Lucie. Commentary for PSL routinely contains the word "boring." Perfect for me. Have been in TN over 40 years, and I'm just done with it. Always saw myself living by the coast when I got older, and it's time. I went through all of this over the summer, and I got a ton of good advice on here, actually (thread is at https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2018049). Prices (and rates) are just crazy high right now. I kept poking my head into the market the past five years, quickly retreating back to a lease thinking "it'll be better next year." It never got better, and I can't keep waiting. You looking to rent or buy? I wanted to get a condo off the beach, looking from West Palm Beach up to Jensen, but things are priced a little out of reach for me (WPB being on the high end and price trending down the further north you go... but still not low enough). Anything decent that came on the market was gone within days. I ended up just getting a new home (currently still being built) that's about 15 minutes from the beach. It's nothing spectacular, but it gets me to Florida. Maybe in a few years, there will be some appreciation, and with a bit of equity I can roll over into a beachfront condo.

If you're leasing, you have tons of options. I'd probably try to keep to West Palm Beach up through Jupiter/Tequesta but avoid Riviera Beach area. An actual Florida native will be more helpful here; I'm only parroting what I learned over the summer. I had properties lined up with my realtor and flew down there one weekend. I briefly entertained leasing in Key West but quickly got frustrated. There seems to be just a different kind of attitude coming from that area... one that contains an inordinate amount of hubris.

One of the cooler things is I'll be a direct 15 minutes north of the gym where Chris Bumstead has been known to lift. I probably won't go to that gym myself, but I just thought it interesting.

Last edited by nerdogray; 08-22-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410974.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      08-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm the opposite. FL has grown to overcrowded for me (at least South FL) and we ended up getting a "vacation" home in a pretty rural area (compared to SFL) of NC. If I had it my way I would love to live in NC full time. That being said I haven't been through a full winter so I might be full of shit. I have lived in FL most of my life so I do like it and all my family is there so I don't see myself moving permanently anytime soon. Would definitely like to switch our FL house to something more rural with an acre or so, but not happening with these prices.

Anyways as other have said, depends on what you are looking for. More people and "action" you can do SFL from Miami up to like West Palm Beach. If you want less people go north past Port St Lucie or west out by 441. If you want old FL with a lot less people and not much "action" you can go to the pan handle or parts of central FL or the west coast north of Tampa. Basically if you avoid the major cities and SFL it's pretty chill.

Again just depends on what you are looking for. As for pissing off the locals... at least in SFL there's only like 12 of us so. Everyone else is from NY, NJ or Canada.
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1301.50
      08-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #5
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

North Florida (Jacksonville area) here. Moved from NY back in 2007. Love that it still gets cold here, without the snow!

I visit SoFlo a couple of times a year, working with models, and visiting a couple of friends. Hate the traffic down there, and everyone does 95 on I-95, if not faster!
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 11:19 AM   #6
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

We moved to West boca nearly 5 years ago from Nys. Shitty driving and entitled people starting to get to us . Otherwise it's paradise. Considering a move north between PSL and Jville area.

PSL used to be called "port Saint lonely" but it is growing immensely, maybe too much
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1301.50
      08-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I hop back and forth between STL and Doral. The biggest shock to the system is the crushing amount of people down there. I live far out in the suburbs in STL, and anything I can do there generally takes 2-3 times longer in Doral. I do most of my shopping down there late at night in the weekends to avoid crowds, and working remotely does insulate me a lot from the traffic etc.

If I had to commute to work everyday in Miami, say more than a few miles, there is no way I’d choose to live there. The overcrowding has to be seen to be believed honestly.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410974.50
nerdogray1301.50
      08-22-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

We were in Boynton Beach visiting family a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how clean it is and no homeless bums. Out here in Phoenix - we have a large druggie population / homeless population.

We are seriously considering moving down and we are not libs either
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
We were in Boynton Beach visiting family a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how clean it is and no homeless bums. Out here in Phoenix - we have a large druggie population / homeless population.

You must not have made it into downtown West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Plenty of homeless in FL, but rare to ever see in suburbs like Western Boynton or Wellington.
nerdogray1301.50
NickyC17484.50
      08-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I hop back and forth between STL and Doral. The biggest shock to the system is the crushing amount of people down there. I live far out in the suburbs in STL, and anything I can do there generally takes 2-3 times longer in Doral. I do most of my shopping down there late at night in the weekends to avoid crowds, and working remotely does insulate me a lot from the traffic etc.

If I had to commute to work everyday in Miami, say more than a few miles, there is no way I’d choose to live there. The overcrowding has to be seen to be believed honestly.
I lived in Doral for several years in the 1990s. I want nothing to do with it now. Ridiculously overcrowded with no planning for roads or infrastructure. Also, my in laws were victims of a home invasion there in June. Police shot intruder dead in front of them. Fortunately, they are physically ok. They came to stay with us for a month and we found them a new place in western Hialeah near I-75 and the Broward line. Hard pass on Doral.
nerdogray1301.50
NickyC17484.50
      08-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Knew this State would pop one day, had no idea it was gonna pop like it has thanks to a pandemic / work from home.

Been here 3 gens on Mom & Dads side which isn’t that long, but both sides are very plugged in so to speak. HMU if you have any questions. Having lived in SoCal for 10 yrs I have some reference points from a new persons perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4490.50
      08-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #12
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:

Where do you live in Colorado? My wife and I moved from Fort Collins last summer to the northeast coast to Palm Coast. She is a native living all but 9 of her years in Colorado. I have lived 37 years of my life in Colorado so it will always hold a special place in our hearts. We absolutely love northeast Florida. No snow, lots of sun (as sunny as Colorado), thunderstorms in the summer and the occasional horizontal rain storms ( ). Florida is different in terms of geography and climate. My wife and I LOVE the Rocky Mountains but we also really LOVE the ocean and being close (2.5 miles as the Crow flies).

We traded one set of beauty for another and do not regret it! We certainly do not miss the snow!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
RickFLM410974.50
nerdogray1301.50
mcsquared764.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      08-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #13
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Thank you for the input everyone
My original plan a year ago was Sarasota. I stayed there for a week just before Ian came through. I must have picked the PERFECT week, I was amazed at how nice the traffic was. Not a huge crowd either. People wise it felt just like where I live currently, but with better drivers (I know, shocking). The service industry was subpar, though. A year later and it seems its become very populated. Went from having a handful of housing options to zero. From no one knowing about it, to half the people I know visiting there over the summer.

Anyway.. My current goal is to rent, close to the beach, and away from the big cities. Thats what put Sarasota on the map for me. It was within an hour of Tampa if I wanted to go have fun, still somewhat big but not crazy, the beach was a 15 minute drive away, and there wasn't a huge amount of tourist attractions.
      08-22-2023, 05:31 PM   #14
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
RobotDoctor I live in Montrose. It's basically the hub for every small mountain town on the west side of Colorado. Anyone living or staying for extended periods of time in the smaller mountain towns (Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Lake City, etc) come down to do their bigger errands. 15 minutes from one of the more underrated national parks, the Black Canyon. My daily view is fantastic, but after seeing it every day all my life I've taken it for granted. Some time away will make me appreciate it more
      08-22-2023, 05:45 PM   #15
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:
RobotDoctor I live in Montrose. It's basically the hub for every small mountain town on the west side of Colorado. Anyone living or staying for extended periods of time in the smaller mountain towns (Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Lake City, etc) come down to do their bigger errands. 15 minutes from one of the more underrated national parks, the Black Canyon. My daily view is fantastic, but after seeing it every day all my life I've taken it for granted. Some time away will make me appreciate it more
Having moved to Colorado when I was 15 from the midwest, via Okinawa and Hawaii, I never took the mountains for granted. I appreciated them from the first time I saw them. During my 37 years of living in Colorado I spent 6 away, 3 at college and 3 based in the Philadelphia area for work. My final stretch once I came back was 30 years (1992 - 2022). Colorado is not what it once was back in the early 80s or even the early 90s. I can sympathize with Floridians who speak how Florida isn't what it used to be. For all of us we need to find a place that suits us so that we can live our best lives. Good luck to you and your buddy and I hope you find a place you can land on your feet and live your best life! Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 07:00 PM   #16
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
My wife and I moved from Fort Collins last summer to the northeast coast to Palm Coast.
Another neighbor...I'm close to St. Auggie.

OP, just don't go too far inland on the East or West coast. No breeze means more heat/humidity. GL in your ventures.

Oh, and I don't subscribe to any 'parties' as they are all crooks.
Appreciate 3
      08-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

I remember we had a homeless lady in Boynton Beach once. She had a shopping cart full of stuff and would like cover it with umbrellas or something and make it into like a tent. I never saw her, but I did see her cart a few times. I think it lasted maybe a couple of weeks before she was gone.

We do get some of the fake homeless who ask for money at the light. Those motherfuckers don't even try to look homeless. Nice clothes, brand new shoes, cooler and backpack tucked behind the bushes with water and shit, fucking guy looking better than I do.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:31 PM   #18
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You must not have made it into downtown West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Plenty of homeless in FL, but rare to ever see in suburbs like Western Boynton or Wellington.
We were in the old people neighborhoods...west of Jog...the Valencia area...it's absolutely beautiful. Loved it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:56 PM   #19
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We were in the old people neighborhoods...west of Jog...the Valencia area...it's absolutely beautiful. Loved it.
Yeah won’t see homeless out there. We’re about 1/2 hour northwest of there.
Tyga113235.50
      08-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #20
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

"the service industry"

That took a lot of adjusting for my wife and I coming from San Diego.

In Florida, it's less of an attitude of "you serve me, while I sit here" and more of a "we are friends, can I have a refill please." In terms of waiting for service staff to return to your table, the more friendly you are to them, the more they come back. This rule of thumb goes for most restaurants that are American cuisine and not expensive and can even exist in steakhouses that are pricier but usually they take better care of you and don't need you to ingratiate them in return.

If you want the kind of service where you sit and are served and not bothered and aren't expected to ingratiate the server, you'll need to seek out fine dining and read reviews before you go. Because most places that are newer, even if they are upper scale will have staff that are still so-so.

If you travel to the islands in the Caribbean or go to puerto rico, it's really different. Food can take well over an hour to come out because now you are on island time, so what is the rush? If you want faster service - stay at a high end resort. But in the islands they will still expect you to be friendly with them, ingratiating them. Not acting like they are your servant/server person.

So yah, it's a different culture, but once you get used to it, it starts to grow on you, so either relax and have a drink and learn to have fun conversations with the person you are out with, including the wait staff or cook at home. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.

Last edited by floridaorange; 08-23-2023 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 11:15 AM   #21
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Some points of reference - FL has changed A LOT in the past 10 years...

It is wildly more expensive that it was, real estate is no longer a deal, home insurance is sky high and we don't even have many insurers left.

There are also a ton of people here that weren't here before so it's far more overcrowded... while the state has a major upside as a whole due to no state income tax etc and good weather there is a large downside now... just be sure what you are going to get when you come here. As far as the job market... outside of service industry and tourism, I would argue it is one of the worst in the nation.
      08-23-2023, 12:33 PM   #22
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Maybe I went to the right restaurants on the wrong days

The way you describe it is how it is over here, too. I'm always friendly with staff and tip well. This was the first time I didn't want to tip at all. Still did, but only like 15% or so. Maybe it was my haircut

From what I've seen ASAP I completely agree. Another reason why I'm working on being fully remote. Cost of living outside of insurance is only slightly higher than where I'm at now, luckily