BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Talking your way out of a traffic ticket...

09-28-2023, 12:23 PM   #23
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I talked my way out of a ticket with video proof!

We were driving through Kalispell on the way to Glacier National Park in a silver Chevy Malibu rental car. I was warned by a friend that they are really tough on speeding so when saw the speed limit reduction sign coming into town I slowed down to the speed limit. The guy in front of me kept going at full speed so he started getting way out ahead of me. At that moment, a LEO was headed the other way, saw the guy was going fast, and hung a U turn and came after him. With his lights flashing, I pulled over to let him by so he could catch the bad guy Much to my amazement, he pulled me over instead.

He walked up to the window. I had the window rolled down and both hands on the wheel. This particular LEO was not in a good mood. He tried to get me to admit that I was speeding and when I told him I was going the speed limit and that it was the car in front of me that was speeding, he got very angry because I wouldn't admit I was speeding. I told him I couldn't admit something that wasn't true and he finally said, "I have proof, I have you on my video camera. Do you want to see?" That's the moment I knew I was okay. I said, "Sure, let's take a look". We walked back to his patrol car and looked at the video. Clear as can be, the video shows the car that was speeding was the car in front of me, a silver Ford. With overwhelming evidence that I was telling the truth, the LEO told me I could go. He was still pissed. I hope he was just having a bad day and isn't this way all the time!

Last edited by sygazelle; 09-28-2023 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 4
zx10guy5149.50
Llarry15947.50
vreihen1615271.00
Buug95917402.00
      09-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #24
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Not by talking only, a real trial:

I was dragged to court because a police student reported me that I had forced him on the motorway on my way home 6 months ago (following too closely). He allegedly wrote down my number and the time. It was called a criminal offense, not a misdemeanor.

First day at court:
I couldn't remember anything.
When the judge asked about the note, the police student said he had lost it.
When asked if he recognized me as the driver, he said he couldn't say for sure.
When asked by the judge what type and color of the car that attacked him was, he said he couldn't remember.

Meanwhile, my mom found in her diary that I had taken the train home at the time in question because my car was on the lift in the workshop overnight due to unexpected brake problems.
The judge immediately sent a police officer to the workshop where this was confirmed. So:

Second day at court:
I was acquitted immediately. The judge didn't summon the police trainee for this second trial ("in his own interest"), even though this guy wanted to attend to it again.
Llarry15947.50
      09-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I usually just hand my license and proof of insurance over as LEO walks up.
Some times a warning, most times they say I was slower than what I was driving.

Having a radar detector and know how to use it has saved me 99% of the time.
One thing I learned, radar detectors (a Valentine V1, at the time, in my case) only work when they're turned on We were in an area with multiple door openers and I got tired of the false X-Band alerts (yes, I have left it on) , so I shut it off; got a ticket coming down the mountain He did cut me some slack on the speed. My new V2 Gen1 doesn't false on door openers, and I'm not turning the detector off again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
My most egregious was on the way home from Jackonsville FL. I found a route that was practically all backroads all the way to Atlanta with maybe a 20mi stint on the interstate.

I was driving my wife's Prius because gas mileage and was literally doing 90 in a 55, I know because right before the cop came around the corner I looked down and thought "Oh shit, I should slow down" so when we passed it was probably 80-85. I saw brake lights immediately and just cruised waiting for him to catch up.

It was a 2 lane, twisty (for Florida) road so I pulled to the shoulder as much as possible.

When he came up I asked him if he would rather go to the passenger side for his safety and he said "No, they'll hit my car first"

After that he grilled me about why I was on that road and I explained that traffic sucks and when I'm going home I'd rather have a chill ride.

He asked about firearms and I told him there was one in the console and asked if he needed to see it, he said "Just don't reach for it and we'll be good"

I was super polite and sir'd him as much as possible. He told me to take it easy and have a good trip.

Twisty roads in a Prius? What's the point?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 04:21 PM   #26
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

ive never tried to talk my way out of a ticket, but ive gotten off with a warning quite a bit.

just by being nice, following their directions and cracking a few jokes. cops around here are fairly chill.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11413.50
Buug95917402.00
      09-28-2023, 08:46 PM   #27
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

My best has been when I am a slow driver in the left lane, the radar detector goes off and I slam the brakes from 20-30 over and the left lane driver gets pulled over. It has happened to me 2 times, once in my truck pulling trailer through Georgia, other time driving an Audi S4 through Amarillo TX.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #28
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Of course I’m guilty every time. I receive a warning every time. Never received a real ticket in my life.
Appreciate 3
hubbahubba8815.00
Lady Jane70857.00
Buug95917402.00
      09-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #29
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I don't know how many times I've been pulled over, but my foot is heavy and it's gotta be into the 40's or 50's in my lifetime. I deserved to be pulled over every single time. The only time I have ever received a written warning ILO a ticket was the last time it happened. I gunned it through a yellow light and hit 59 in a 45, right in front of a motorcycle officer. Whoops. I pulled over into a side street as soon as he came up on me with lights on. He asked if I knew why, I said yep. He said I clocked you at 59 through the intersection. I said I guess I hit it a little harder than intended. I gave him paperwork, and explained that in all my life I had never gotten off with a warning, and I would appreciate it if he could see a way to do so if I gave him my word that I would never gun it through a light again. He asked if my record was clean, which it was/is. He told me to wait a minute, and he came back with a written warning. That was over 2 years ago, and have not once gunned it through a light since. My word is better motivation than any fine or traffic school ever has been. Thank you Officer Garcia. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11413.50
Buug95917402.00
      09-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #30
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Of course I’m guilty every time. I receive a warning every time. Never received a real ticket in my life.
My wife is in the same boat. Pretty girls have it made.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 03:23 PM   #31
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
My wife is in the same boat. Pretty girls have it made.
It’s super easy. Cry, apologize over and over, compliment them. No tickets It helps if you have a dog collar in your car. No cop will issue you a ticket if you just put your dog down. You’re welcome.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917402.00
hubbahubba8815.00
      09-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #32
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Not me, but an old boss. And he didn't talk himself out of a ticket but in to one.

He was approaching the toll plaza at the bridge across the harbour. The approaching road speed limit is 80km/h but if you're not travelling at least 95km/h you'll get run over. The speed limit in the toll plaza is 50km/h.
My old boss, Kirk, was clocked at 89 in the plaza and was, of course, pulled over. The LEO walked up to him and asked him if he knew why he was pulled over. Kirk said he thought he was "probably" speeding.
The LEO proceeded to lecture him about his speed and told Kirk that there are 11 50km/h speed limit signs and "Would you like me to point them out to you?"
Kirk's response pretty much guaranteed him a ticket. He said, "I know where the signs are, I just chose to ignore them."
      09-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #33
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It’s super easy. Cry, apologize over and over, compliment them. No tickets It helps if you have a dog collar in your car. No cop will issue you a ticket if you just put your dog down. You’re welcome.
That made me LOL harder than anything ever in the LOL thread!

Last edited by hubbahubba; 09-29-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sara5791.00
      09-29-2023, 03:55 PM   #34
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
It helps if you have a dog collar in your car. No cop will issue you a ticket if you just put your dog down. You’re welcome.
Crafty...
Appreciate 1
Sara5791.00
      09-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #35
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
That made me LOL harder than anything ever in the LOL thread!
I only say this because it’s true! Had just put my Weimaraner down, was driving home from the vet clinic, obviously not paying attention to the speed as I was driving and crying. Get pulled over and the cop saw the tears the empty collar with her hair still on it
Appreciate 3
hubbahubba8815.00
vreihen1615271.00
Llarry15947.50
      09-29-2023, 05:11 PM   #36
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

I’m sorry, I took that as a standard practice. I know the feeling, and it sucks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:30 PM   #37
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Paging Sedan_Clan
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11413.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      09-29-2023, 05:43 PM   #38
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Paging Sedan_Clan
I've been hoping Mr. Clan will jump in an provide some real-world feedback from other side of the driver's door. I'm sure he's got some good ones.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      09-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I've been hoping Mr. Clan will jump in an provide some real-world feedback from other side of the driver's door. I'm sure he's got some good ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Paging Sedan_Clan
I don’t know that there is ever truly a way to talk yourself out of a citation, but you can definitely talk yourself into one. In my personal and anecdotal experience, law enforcers decide whether they will cite, tow a vehicle, etc. within the first 10 seconds of the interaction; sometimes the decision is made long before they’ve even approached the car. Many of my peers rarely ever give pretty women or people with money a pass because the presumption is they always get away with things because of their looks or their wealth. The perception of entitlement is a real phenomenon.

In addition, the fact that the public wants all of us to utilize body worn cameras and wants to micro-analyze every interaction we have makes giving people a pass an even less desirable alternative. Nobody wants to end up on TMZ or some other media outlet for giving the pretty woman/family member of a Chief/etc. a pass.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 09-29-2023 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 7
vreihen1615271.00
KRS_SN13534.00
sygazelle11413.50
///MPhatic13862.50
Buug95917402.00
      09-29-2023, 07:44 PM   #40
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Different story: did not commit a speeding offence but received a fine nevertheless.

Italian police sent me a fine for speeding at 112 km/h in a 90 km/h zone near the race circuit of Monza.

Absolutely impossible that I was the speed offender: my car and I were that very moment in Belgium (and I could conclusively prove that point of fact).

Downloaded the picture made available on the dedicated Italian police website to find out what had happened (Milan police uploaded the photograph of the speeding offence). Turns out to be a posh Ferrari with a different color than my car, with a Belgian license plate similar (but not equal) to mine. Indisputably a case of mistaken identity.

To avoid trouble I had no other choice than to dispute the fine by strictly following the Italian administrative procedure: I was required to draft, within 60 days, a "ricorso" letter (appeal), mandatorily stated in Italian, explaining the mistaken identity, and to mandatorily send the letter by registered mail to the Prefect of Milan with receipt confirmation. Was also required to complete a form explaining who the driver was (noted that it was not applicable in my case and that I declined to acknowledge to have been the speed offender). I did all that stuff and added a certificate of my town police confirming that my car and license plate are different than those featuring on the Italian photograph.

Didn't ask for this administrative hassle, but you got to stand your ground to avoid being forced to pay in the end the fine of someone else's speeding offence. Should you ignore, you're exposed to the risk - once the appeal deadline has expired - that they'll come after you or make life complicated when they run a check on you next time you're visiting Italy. Better safe than sorry.
      09-29-2023, 09:49 PM   #41
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Different story: did not commit a speeding offence but received a fine nevertheless.

Italian police sent me a fine for speeding at 112 km/h in a 90 km/h zone near the race circuit of Monza.

Absolutely impossible that I was the speed offender: my car and I were that very moment in Belgium (and I could conclusively prove that point of fact).

Downloaded the picture made available on the dedicated Italian police website to find out what had happened (Milan police uploaded the photograph of the speeding offence). Turns out to be a posh Ferrari with a different color than my car, with a Belgian license plate similar (but not equal) to mine. Indisputably a case of mistaken identity.

To avoid trouble I had no other choice than to dispute the fine by strictly following the Italian administrative procedure: I was required to draft, within 60 days, a "ricorso" letter (appeal), mandatorily stated in Italian, explaining the mistaken identity, and to mandatorily send the letter by registered mail to the Prefect of Milan with receipt confirmation. Was also required to complete a form explaining who the driver was (noted that it was not applicable in my case and that I declined to acknowledge to have been the speed offender). I did all that stuff and added a certificate of my town police confirming that my car and license plate are different than those featuring on the Italian photograph.

Didn't ask for this administrative hassle, but you got to stand your ground to avoid being forced to pay in the end the fine of someone else's speeding offence. Should you ignore, you're exposed to the risk - once the appeal deadline has expired - that they'll come after you or make life complicated when they run a check on you next time you're visiting Italy. Better safe than sorry.
What a bummer. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Those traffic cam tickets. I was in a rental car in Munich and got caught by camera going 42kph in a 35kpm zone on a offramp on the freeway. I found out about the ticket because Sixt sent me a copy of it along with a charge of $25 to provide my information to the Munich police department. The $25 was charged to my credit card automatically and looking back at my contract with them, they had my permission to do so so I did not contest it. Funny thing is, I never got anything in the mail from Munich. So, I was out $25 but that's it. It makes me crazy that they would give me a ticket for going 26mph. I never notice a speed limit sign.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 01:37 AM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
What a bummer. I'm glad you got it sorted out.
Most wouldn't bother sending a reply.

But by ignoring a 'mistake fine' it will be tough escaping the administrative jaws requiring you in the end to pay hundreds of euros. Escape while you still can.
      09-30-2023, 06:44 AM   #43
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I'll try it.... But something tells me it won't work for me.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
Llarry15947.50
Joachim328.00
      09-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #44
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I never 'try' to get out of anything. Most of mine were reductions in speed (which reduces the fine) and I'm happy with those. Some of my memorable ones:

1. The only time I did not receive a citation for speeding was on a crotch rocket. Lane splitting is legal in CA, but that doesn't mean motos can legally cross the double yellow of the HOV lane on the highway - this is something I typically followed the law on. So it was nighttime and I got stuck behind a couple of slow cars in the HOV. I mean we were doing 65 (speed limit), which is absurd. So when the double yellows broke, I blipped my wrist, popped around the 2 cars, and popped back in. I hit 85mph, and glanced in the mirror to see, to my surprise, a CHP had followed me in. Where did he come from?! I instantly dropped to 65 (no brakes) and he lit me up. However, the double yellows were now back. So for an agonizing 2-3 miles, I had my indicator on and cruised at exactly 64mph, lol. It felt like an eternity and I debated crossing over the double yellows, but decided against. Anyway, we pull over, and I kill switched it (so lights still on) and got my headphones and helmet off. He asked for my license, which I had in my backpack. He helped me find my wallet with his flashlight. He asked if he knew how fast I was going and I said 85, to which he slowly said "yep." When he came back from running my license, he asked if I had insurance and I said yes and was trying to show him on my phone, and he wasn't interested. Told me to stay safe, have a good night, etc. I also had a license plate that was tucked well behind my rear tire (illegal). My takeaway was that 1.) I didn't run, 2.) I was honest 3.) was licensed to operate a motorcyle 4.) bike wasn't stolen/I had no legal issues myself was more what he was interested in than the speeding.

2.) When I was 20, I had a shaved head and a catless/no front plate acura rsx in Irvine, CA. I got pulled over a lot. One time, I was going to wendy's at like 1155pm (they closed at midnight). I was not speeding or anything like that. The cop (who I saw a mile away) pulled up on me, got about halfway in front of my car, then hit the brakes and got behind me. He was pulling me over for no front plate. Lit me up and I pulled into the plaza where the wendy's was. Multiple cars arrived, and I was asked if I had a cat on the car and several other questions about what I had done to the car (it was pretty heavily modified, this was circa 2004). I was petrified about getting caught with no cat, but I stayed cool and lied and said I just had a muffler on it. They asked if they could search the car, and I obliged because 1.) I had no drugs or any bullshit like that and 2.) I did NOT want to go down the path of popping the hood. They searched me, spilled out my backpack which was in the car, and searched the car. I sat on the curb forever. They finally let me go, no ticket for front plate, nothing, but it was a pretty shitty experience. The kicker was Wendy's was now closed, and I had to go home and make ramen.

3.) Same car, town, and timeframe. I left university at midnight one night and was exhausted and headed home. Nobody on the streets. Light turned green and I rowed 1, 2, 3, which meant I hit 95mph. The speed limit on the road I was on was 60. I got popped. I was polite, honest, etc. Said I was tired and wanted to get home. The cop was very nice, wrote me a ticket for 79 and said "I'm doing this because it will be cheaper for you. You were definitely still accelerating" which with the loud exhaust, he could probably fairly guess where I landed speedwise. Thanked him and went on my way.

4.) 2 buddies and I went to vegas on an impropmtu visit. It was a one night/last minute trip and we drove. When i was time to come home, everybody was worse for wear. I volunteered to drive my friend's car. Somewhere along the way (I don't recall if it was NV or CA, but likely CA), we got pulled over by highway patrol. It was a young guy, recently married, probably 5 years older than all of us, who were in our early 20's. He pulled me over because the car's registration was expired. My friend admitted it and apologized - he was just lazy/late to take care of it. We spent 20 minutes describing to him our debaucherous night, and he was living vicariously through us. Our evening had us bringing 2 girls back to our shared suite, with my buddy who was late on registration having some fun. My friend did receive the ticket, but it was a memorable stop because it felt like us telling our story to one of our friends.
Appreciate 0