BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Electronic Tips or Tricks?

10-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Electronic Tips or Tricks?

Thought with all this new tech would be good to share tips. In my week of ownership have found:

1) hit the hey BMW once fast and you can use the BMW assistant; hold it longer (if you have Carplay activated) and then you can use Siri for Spotify or Waze (e.g. "Waze take me home")

2) Noticed you cant use BMW Nav (which I like in the heads up display) AND navigate w Waze (you can have Waze map open but without directions) as BMW nav shuts off; but I accidently had apple maps and Waze navigating at the same time which was super annoying having them both talking.

3) Waze or google maps seem to be the best for navigating as there is no voice instruction from the BMW Nav (or maybe I don't know yet how to activate).

4) having the car set to unlock and lock when you arrive or leave is a good thing to check - really cool and convienent.

5) the reading of text message and replying via Carplay Siri really works well and adds to safety. Our family text message string in my old car constantly beeped as I was driving and I never looked but wanted to. Now I can just have them read to me - very cool and good for safety.

6) the driver assistance I think works fine. you just have to make sure you use blinker when changing lane so it doesn't pull you back - forcing me to be doing this 100% of the time. The only downside is if you needed to execute an emergency maneuver it would interfere w reflexes and pull you back. I love the blind spot detection in the mirrors - GREAT safety feature and I think really critical as my last couple cars had huge blindspots.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

To aid getting in the car in tight spaces double press the open key.

On either the drivers or passengers side if the door is opened the window will automatically drop to 1/2 height giving you more room to enter. When you close the door it goes back up. Always handy in a coupe.

OP regarding the Nav voice this is enabled in iDrive.
      10-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

On either the drivers or passengers side if the door is opened the window will automatically drop to 1/2 height giving you more room to enter. When you close the door it goes back up. Always handy in a coupe.

I am probably missing the obvious but have not been able to find the Nav voice setting so directions are read out loud. it works in waze or apple maps but not for me in the bmw navigation. could you provide details (thanks!)?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

The app tip

I think the bmw app problems may have been fixed as mine works flawlessly since getting car a few weeks back.

the "locate your vehicle" is cool and it even gives you walking directions so good for parking. It also shows you fuel left, miles to empty, etc. check it out....

Off topic but how did I discover this? with our fires in CA and crazy wind I was driving yesterday morning and ran over a huge bolt from a powerline that came down. Damn thing went in side of rear tire. $400+ to replace a brand new tire. grrrrr. anyway at the car place I could actually see the orientation of the car and when they moved it and turned it around as the app even shows you which way the car is pointed. Shows me mileage when I dropped it off and can easily see if they decide to take it out for a joy ride as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
Quote:

I am probably missing the obvious but have not been able to find the Nav voice setting so directions are read out loud. it works in waze or apple maps but not for me in the bmw navigation. could you provide details (thanks!)?
I don't have iDrive 7 I have the version before before but .... press the map button. Then there is hopefully a voice looking icon on the left of the maps. This would be ticked currently, un tick this disable the voice. Or maybe try a hey BMW voice command to turn off navigation prompts?

Good luck!
      10-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't have iDrive 7 I have the version before before but .... press the map button. Then there is hopefully a voice looking icon on the left of the maps. This would be ticked currently, un tick this disable the voice. Or maybe try a hey BMW voice command to turn off navigation prompts?

Good luck!
Chris thank you! I found it. surprised I never saw it in the nav but its there which is great as love the nav with head up display but wanted voice too. Am having a hard time deciding btw BMW, Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Zupo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z (G29)

Quote:

On mine, it is not a double press of the open button, but rather a long hold of the open button - that opens the windows HALF WAY - to squeeze into the car so the windows do not hit your throat when entering into car to sit.
Very useful.
Appreciate 0