BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions Forum specific Moderators? I think we need them.

01-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Forum specific Moderators? I think we need them.

Jason, Mark:

I think this forum might need more moderators.
As this site grew massively, I realized there are ALOT of new members coming in and is getting heavily populated.

Like other forums, we could probably use more moderators(with less previleges than super mods(that is Jason/Mark)).
These "mods" have authority to do such simple tasks(warning other members, restrict huge sigs, delete unnecessary threads, etc).

I say this because so many threads are coming up with same topic over and over.

If you guys think its not needed yet, perhaps, maybe you guys can post a huge warning sign saying "do a search".

Just a suggestion, not whining. Thanks again for this great site.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Jason, Mark:

I think this forum might need more moderators.
As this site grew massively, I realized there are ALOT of new members coming in and is getting heavily populated.

Like other forums, we could probably use more moderators(with less previleges than super mods(that is Jason/Mark)).
These "mods" have authority to do such simple tasks(warning other members, restrict huge sigs, delete unnecessary threads, etc).

I say this because so many threads are coming up with same topic over and over.

If you guys think its not needed yet, perhaps, maybe you guys can post a huge warning sign saying "do a search".

Just a suggestion, not whining. Thanks again for this great site.
Yes, we realize the forum will grow and will need moderators, but for now I think between the two of us we have it going well. We try to encourage everyone who joins to first read our forum rules and the specifics about searching. But repeated and rehashed threads are just the nature of the internet. But back to moderators, yep you are right we will need some good moderators and we are keeping our eyes open for commited ppl who are willing to put some time in to moderate the place, but not quite yet, soon probably
      01-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I think the "neighbourhood watch" works pretty well too!

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I am down for a neighborhood watch meeting.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I think the "neighbourhood watch" works pretty well too!
Agreed. Everyone should feel free to use the "Report Post" function for anything they feel should moderated (moved, deleted, etc...). In that way, every member can be a moderator of sorts.

Thanks for the original suggestion lux.sh Moderators will eventually be needed, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Sounds good. thanks jason and mark.

its amazing how you two are handling this whole site.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

where is the "Report Post" feature?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1000
where is the "Report Post" feature?
In the specific post you want to report, if you look over to the left under the poster's name, there's an exclamation point icon. That's the report post button.

Looks like this -->
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Kind of along these lines, It seems some of the off-topic posts get a bit racy for viewing at work. Should we be reporting those also or would it take too much time? I don't know how much time you guys have but a NSFW (Not Safe for Work) or NWS (Not Work Safe) flag on some of the posts would be very helpful because once you click the link, it's too late and I know a lot of people here surf from work.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
Kind of along these lines, It seems some of the off-topic posts get a bit racy for viewing at work. Should we be reporting those also or would it take too much time? I don't know how much time you guys have but a NSFW (Not Safe for Work) or NWS (Not Work Safe) flag on some of the posts would be very helpful because once you click the link, it's too late and I know a lot of people here surf from work.
Well, there is a column for icons near the title of each thread ("x" is used for a poll, for example.) Perhaps admin could create a "NWS" icon to flag each thread that becomes a risk for surfing while at work. A person would have to use the report a thread feature to give this designation if the thread is originally ok, but evolves into a not work safe thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Well, there is a column for icons near the title of each thread ("x" is used for a poll, for example.) Perhaps admin could create a "NWS" icon to flag each thread that becomes a risk for surfing while at work. A person would have to use the report a thread feature to give this designation if the thread is originally ok, but evolves into a not work safe thread.
I think it comes out to self regulation for NWS stuff for now. If you are making a post like that just put NWS in the thread title to warn others. If it continues and becomes an issue then we can make it into a rule and enforece it, but self-regulation is a better way to let it play out, and icon is a good idea, but in reality I think it would be a mess since one super anal user would end up marking every thread...
      01-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
but in reality I think it would be a mess since one super anal user would end up marking every thread...
I sort of meant that only admin would be able to mark a thread "NWS", and only after it was reported by a user and investigated by you guys, using some kind of criteria to judge threads as being "not work safe"--meaning not all reports would be followed through if you thought, using your own judgement, that the thread was safe.

I'm just saying this because most threads start off innocent enough, but can really sometimes spin out of control.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

We can just as easily change the title to include "NWS". So if people think a thread is not work safe, feel free to report it to us and we can change the title if it's inappropriate. Thanks for the suggestions all.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #14
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i dont know how you guys do it. mad props though!.
      02-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Thanks for responding guys. You're probably right about the self regulation. I don't think there would be too much harm if a thread was marked even though it wasn't that bad and I think most people are pretty good about their posts. The unfortunate thing is, threads often start off fine but, as I'm sure you've seen, they can go downhill pretty fast. The criteria people at my work usually use is either would you show your mother what you're looking at or would you post it up on a wall for everyone at work to see.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I think that you guys do a great job moderating this whole site. I'd be willing to help out if you ever need a moderator in the future.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I think that you guys do a great job moderating this whole site. I'd be willing to help out if you ever need a moderator in the future.
Me2 ;-)

I'm keen to do ALMOST anything for this site.

I'll even stand on the street with a E90post.com banner, and hand out pamphlets :-)

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #18
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Me2 ;-)

I'm keen to do ALMOST anything for this site.

I'll even stand on the street with a E90post.com banner, and hand out pamphlets :-)

lols awesome man your hired !!