BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 M40i Design Flaw Uncovered

09-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #89
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Does the wheel design play a part? As soon as some incentives are throw out we're going to order one.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #90
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Update on the stones in M Sport brakes problem on the Z4 G29.

My dealer tells me that following the report and video that he sent over to BMW AG for review. Their response is that it is unlikely that the design of the shields will be carried out as they have not received sufficient complaints from owners to justify this.

Very disappointing response from BMW.
Is there a reference no of any sort to this issue with BMW?

Occurred on one of my rear wheels lat week, was unable to stop immediately so it just lodged further and then would not shift when I tried the back and forth, thought it had so continued my journey only for it to make the awful screeching and scraping approx half a mile later then continued for a dozen miles or so and then eventually dropped out when I next came to a complete stop.

I want to book my car in for them to check for damage
      10-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #91
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post

Occurred on one of my rear wheels lat week, was unable to stop immediately so it just lodged further and then would not shift when I tried the back and forth, thought it had so continued my journey only for it to make the awful screeching and scraping approx half a mile later then continued for a dozen miles or so and then eventually dropped out when I next came to a complete stop.

BMW are well aware of this problem but don’t want to do anything about it. I have written to the the UK MD, Graeme Grieve, about this and my dealer sent photographs and a technical report to BMW AG asking them to look into the problem. I published their response earlier in this thread. Several owners have complained about this problem to their local dealer but I have learned that unless you actually book your car in for inspection nothing gets recorded. Very poor show from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #92
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:

It is very difficult to know whether it is the front or rear wheels from inside of the car. My bet is that the problem is on the front brakes as they are the ones that are very much more prone to getting stones trapped due to the poor design of the heat shields.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #93
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Name:  20201030_141920_HDR.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  498.7 KB

My turn to jam the front break by stone!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #94
FRZ484
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i & BMW M340i

I noticed some hood and right front fender fitment issues. I took it to my dealership and their respective bmw body shop and they agreed that the fitment was off as part of the hood doesn’t sit flush with the headlights. Has anyone else noticed this on their car?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #95
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRZ484 View Post
I noticed some hood and right front fender fitment issues. I took it to my dealership and their respective bmw body shop and they agreed that the fitment was off as part of the hood doesn’t sit flush with the headlights. Has anyone else noticed this on their car?
This has been mentioned a couple of times, not sure if it's this thread or another. The hood (or bonnet as we call it on this side of the pond) can be adjusted - there's a couple of black stoppers that just turn by hand. You should find that sorts the gap between hood and fender as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #96
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Hey peeps
I’m back in this thread! Yay.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to remove a stone that is well and truly stuck? Or is it a case of calling BMW Recovery?

After leaving for work and getting 2 miles from home a squeal appeared - worse than last time! - it’s in the O/S/F wheel; I tried to dislodge with back and forth but nothing, got quite aggressive with my braking and even resorted to riding the “cats eyes” on my way back home on an older road where they’re big to see if the vibration helped

I then tried to flex the shield slightly (burning my fingers on the red hot rotor after my aggressive braking attempts) and I think I can see it with my phone camera right at the base being held in but can’t fathom how to remove.

Unless I take the wheel off? - where’s the jacking points? 😅

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #97
tr0406
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

I had it happen to me about 10 miles from home. If I hadn't read about the noise, I wouldn't have had a clue. I limped home and called my local BMW dealer and talked with the head of the service department. He told me he was sure it was a rock and to come to the dealership to check it out.

In the meantime I repeatedly went around my block, starting and stopping pretty hard. I alternated forward and reverse. After 1 1/2 times around, it came out.

The next day the service told me no damage.

Try forward and reverse and have patience...it'll come out.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #98
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had that problem with my M3 several times before I just increased the spacing and it never happened again. So far after 8,000 miles it has not happened but the fix is simple in my view.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #99
sfo2406
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 s30i

Quote:
Hey peeps
I’m back in this thread! Yay.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to remove a stone that is well and truly stuck? Or is it a case of calling BMW Recovery?

Unless I take the wheel off? - where’s the jacking points? ��

If it's really stuck (and pushing the cover towards the inside des not help) then yes, taking the wheel off then pushing the rock off with a screwdriver is what I do. Quite annoying but not the end of the world. If you call assistance just tell them what it is, it will be much faster to do this than to tow the car.

After having had the problem twice but close from home, I seriously consider packing a small jack and a screwdriver in my trunk just for this... The "Rock in M-brakes EDC kit".

The jacking point is the black plastic inverted Tupperware thingy just behind the wheel arch.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #100
D Weller
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i 2021

Pebble

Just discovered this url after recently purchasing a 2021 Z4 M40i. Over the past 5 months I have been stricken with the dreaded pebble squeal 4 times - last night's episode being excruciatingly loud and almost certainly causing damage to the rotor.

But my question is: I noticed the first entry describing this problem is about 2 years old... has a solution ever been offered by BMW? Has anyone proposed a 'fix'?

I love the car and can deal with it (I'm married), but still...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #101
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weller View Post
Just discovered this url after recently purchasing a 2021 Z4 M40i. Over the past 5 months I have been stricken with the dreaded pebble squeal 4 times - last night's episode being excruciatingly loud and almost certainly causing damage to the rotor.

But my question is: I noticed the first entry describing this problem is about 2 years old... has a solution ever been offered by BMW? Has anyone proposed a 'fix'?

I guess the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #102
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weller View Post

Nothing yet, Jim is also on another forum and the only thing that I suggested is if someone was to try comparing the backing plates from a A90 Supra to the Z4 as they appear to be a different design but the rest of the braking system is the same. If anyone has a friend with a Supra that has a few hours you could jack a corner up on both cars and compare and contrast. If they are different then ideally even try swapping a plate to see if they fit.
Appreciate 0