BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla Model S/X Hospital-Grade HEPA Filters May Help Prevent Coronavirus Infections

04-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Tesla Model S/X Hospital-Grade HEPA Filters May Help Prevent Coronavirus Infections

If only those in food distribution or testing lanes had Tesla S and X, which most do not as they are typically lower or no income at this point. (Maybe less so in testing lanes, especially the ones for health care workers if they are MDs but not all healthcare workers make bank)

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...irus-infection
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

it wouldn't really help unless someone were to live 100% of the time inside the Tesla. The transmission of the virus occurs between human-to-human interaction so even if the vehicle was affordable for everyone, if they're around other infected people enough without full PPE, there will be a good probability of getting infected.

This concept is great but realistically it will just help with allergens during a commute

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 04-23-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
the moment someone steps outside, they'll get infected when near enough to another infected person.
This isn't actually true. Technically you can stand next to a person with COVID and not get infected. It's not, for example, going to pass through your skin. If someone breathes and sneezes in your face or someone has COVID on their hands and you then both shake their hand and rub your face or mouth afterwards, it will likely get transmitted. So this feature could very well be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
This isn't actually true. Technically you can stand next to a person with COVID and not get infected. It's not, for example, going to pass through your skin. If someone breathes and sneezes in your face or someone has COVID on their hands and you then both shake their hand and rub your face or mouth afterwards, it will likely get transmitted. So this feature could very well be helpful.
I get what you're saying and I edited to clarify what I meant to say. But still this isn't a feasible feature and it's more a byproduct of having a HEPA filter rather than a means of combatting transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I get what you're saying and I edited to clarify what I meant to say. But still this isn't a feasible feature and it's more a byproduct of having a HEPA filter rather than a means of combatting transmission.
The car is also hermetically sealed but as soon as the food pantry guys open your lift gate or you open it that potentially exposes you, but you're better protected than a regular car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I’m willing to give this the benefit of the doubt, but let’s see some independent scientific testing first. It will be a cold day in hell before I’d trust my health to a bullshitter like Elon Musk without some legit corroboration.

Even that article title is wishy washy - “Tesla filters MAY help prevent coronavirus infections”
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
But still this isn't a feasible feature and it's more a byproduct of having a HEPA filter rather than a means of combatting transmission.
This I can get on-board with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The car is also hermetically sealed but as soon as the food pantry guys open your lift gate or you open it that potentially exposes you, but you're better protected than a regular car.
Not really. Unless you're driving your car through a COVID ward of a hospital, there's 0 benefit to a hermetically sealed vehicle---and by that token, any sort of special air filtration system in a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
Bresson
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M, E39 540i6, e34 525iT

I'm down for this

I think its great. It up's the bar for interior air quality in the car. In context of the Covid-19 pandemic this would be added protection for, say, and Uber driver. Its an air purifier in the car, and what purports to be better isolation from outside air as well. If a contaminate made its way in, it would be caught when the air cycles through the car. With fires in California right now I'd love it if my car had this. In fact I'm currently looking for a HEPA quality air filter for my X5. For the in cabin air circulation filter under the dash...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

This subject line remind me of those weird ads on websites like "One weird trick to reverse your electric bills!"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ah the covid marketing in full force
Appreciate 0