BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I don't understand the popularity of Alcantara

08-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #23
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

As long as alcantara or any other material is the alternative to leather seats for a given car I'm interested in, I will choose it every time. The only time I opted for leather over alcantara or cloth in the last 10+ years was in my R8 Spyder due to there being no cooled seats option. Considering I'd only be driving it on warm sunny days top down, I wanted the easiest material to maintain. My back and bottom side are soaked after every drive longer than 45 minutes above 75 degrees. I freaking hate leather.

The problem with alcantara if there is one is its overuse. Keep it away from the steering wheel and shift knob at a minimum. Armrest is debatable, I love the feel but it takes a little more care to make sure your arms aren't dirty or greasy/sweaty. But as seat material, upper door card trim and used sparingly in the front upholstery I love it, gives texture and variety to the interior. Also love alcantara headliners. But caking the entire interior was never a good idea, just as caking it in leather is no better. I'd prefer cloth but I'll take alcantara over leather seats 100% of the time from now on.
      08-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Man, I LOVE the look and feel of alcantara, and the first time you have a dash covered in it and see how there are absolutely no reflections, you'll fall in love with at least that part.
But a real semi-aniline leather dash is just as glare free and feels better, is easier to maintain and smells good as a bonus.

I'm fine with mixed materials. My ideal would be leather dash and door tops, cloth seats and door cards and an alcantara headliner. It has its purpose, but as a touch point, I'm not interested. Funny that the Aston has a leather steering wheel in a sea of fake suede.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      08-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
But a real semi-aniline leather dash is just as glare free and feels better, is easier to maintain and smells good as a bonus.
Not true.

Any semi-reflective surface is worse than a non-reflective surface when it comes to glare on the windshield. Trust me, I've had them all.

Feels better? Um, ok.

Maintain? Hmmm...

My alcantara in the Lotus smells fantastic. Not sure how you could make ANY stinky BMW interior smell good.

That's one thing they could definitely learn from the Japanese. I could have slept in my Lexus is smelled so good, but in the M2 it's windows-down all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Alcantara is fake suede. It's basically textured cloth. It's super durable but absorbs everything, i.e. odor, sweat, dirt, dust. You can shampoo it like any cloth surfaces but it's nothing like leather. Personally I don't like how Alcantara feels on my skin. Just give me some good old leather.

Of course where leather is being sourced is important. I've heard it's killing some workers who are making it and also polluting the environment too.
This may be the reason there is no leather in a Tesla. It's simulated leather or vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #27
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Alcantara is fake suede.
Synthetic suede, and real Alcantara (not standard microfiber fabric) absorbs less of everything (except light), not more.

The problem is that true Alcantara is rare, and there are now a billion types of micro-suede, all with varying degrees of quality.

Great for dashes because of reflections.
Great for steering wheels because of grip.

The rest is personal preference.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      08-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #28
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It's just a synthetic material that is cheap to produce, yet clever marketing has convinced many that it is a premium product. People actually pay more for it, which is ridiculous.

And Alcantara is a brand name, so to call all synthetic suede like micro fiber materials by that name is wrong...unless it actually is an Alcantara material, which I'm sure the vast majority of steering wheels and shifter/e-brake boots are not.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25064.00
arashir164.00
Vivek.1366.00
      08-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not true.

Any semi-reflective surface is worse than a non-reflective surface when it comes to glare on the windshield. Trust me, I've had them all.

Feels better? Um, ok.

Maintain? Hmmm...

My alcantara in the Lotus smells fantastic. Not sure how you could make ANY stinky BMW interior smell good.

That's one thing they could definitely learn from the Japanese. I could have slept in my Lexus is smelled so good, but in the M2 it's windows-down all the time.
[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/40...1a470e699d.jpg[/IMG]

I detail cars as a hobby, mostly my friends' cars. Proper (non German) leather dashes are the nicest looking, in my experience. Open pore, non waxed leather is not shiny. It can be cleaned easily and treated with leather conditioner. We're not talking about Lexus or 3er vinyl dashes here, only full or semi aniline leather, like a Fezza, Bentley or Rolls.

Cloth can be cleaned, but the nap of alcantara doesn't like frequent scrubbing, so you tend to have to use gentler methods. And as stated, it soaks up smells. Looking at you, Elise Glue Aroma. All Elises/Exiges smell, but those with the cloth dash seem to retain the glue smell more than the plastic dashes.

Cool that you like it, and I'm also saying that the materials in cars that cost multiples more than yours are nicer, so no surprise there. My thing is that I can't imagine picking alcantara when you could have leather when you're dealing with expensive cars. It just seems like picking a quartz movement when you could have had a bespoke, in house mechanical movement.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      08-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #30
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I detail cars as a hobby, mostly my friends' cars. Open pore, non waxed leather is not shiny.
Not to argue with you, as you sound like you know a fair bit about what you're saying. But I've been in them all, I shoot cars for Mecum, so Bugatti? Yes. Ferrari? All the time. Pagani? Sure. You name it, I've shot the interior, and I can tell you without a doubt that alcantara produces much less reflection on the windscreen than anything else.

Quote:
...the nap of alcantara doesn't like frequent scrubbing...
Air hose only, no touch.

Quote:
And as stated, it soaks up smells.
Absolutely never known this to be true, but if you say so. Not sure what smells you'd be talking about though.

Quote:
All Elises/Exiges smell, but those with the cloth dash seem to retain the glue smell more than the plastic dashes.
I hate to correct you here, but there is no Elise/Exige that comes stock with a cloth dash...or plastic. They either have this weird foam thing, which 99% do, or it's carbon fiber. The foam is TERRIBLE, and out-gasses forever, coating the windscreen with out-gas materials (not glue). A few have alcantara bits here and there, but not the dash.

Quote:
My thing is that I can't imagine picking alcantara when you could have leather when you're dealing with expensive cars. It just seems like picking a quartz movement when you could have had a bespoke, in house mechanical movement.
Your position isn't better, it's just different. If alcantara wasn't beloved you wouldn't find it on so many high-end cars. You probably dislike carbon fiber for the same reason.
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4463.00
arashir164.00
      08-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I detail cars as a hobby, mostly my friends' cars. Open pore, non waxed leather is not shiny.
Not to argue with you, as you sound like you know a fair bit about what you're saying. But I've been in them all, I shoot cars for Mecum, so Bugatti? Yes. Ferrari? All the time. Pagani? Sure. You name it, I've shot the interior, and I can tell you without a doubt that alcantara produces much less reflection on the windscreen than anything else.

Quote:
...the nap of alcantara doesn't like frequent scrubbing...
Air hose only, no touch.

Quote:
And as stated, it soaks up smells.
Absolutely never known this to be true, but if you say so. Not sure what smells you'd be talking about though.

Quote:
All Elises/Exiges smell, but those with the cloth dash seem to retain the glue smell more than the plastic dashes.
I hate to correct you here, but there is no Elise/Exige that comes stock with a cloth dash...or plastic. They either have this weird foam thing, which 99% do, or it's carbon fiber. The foam is TERRIBLE, and out-gasses forever, coating the windscreen with out-gas materials (not glue). A few have alcantara bits here and there, but not the dash.

Quote:
My thing is that I can't imagine picking alcantara when you could have leather when you're dealing with expensive cars. It just seems like picking a quartz movement when you could have had a bespoke, in house mechanical movement.
Your position isn't better, it's just different. If alcantara wasn't beloved you wouldn't find it on so many high-end cars. You probably dislike carbon fiber for the same reason.
Oh, I hate 3k carbon with a passion. But I absolutely love raw, forged carbon.

I thought there were some Elises with an Alcantara dash? Might have just been an Evora I was thinking of.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #32
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I mostly agree with what’s been said already. It’s meant as a very functional material and works well for that purpose. The one thing i would add is that it’s fire-retardant, which is very important for race applications.

It is odd that marketing has turned it into a premium interior covering, yes. I don’t agree though with those of you who think it’s ugly. It looks and feels pretty great when combined with the right leathers and other materials.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh, I hate 3k carbon with a passion. But I absolutely love raw, forged carbon.

I thought there were some Elises with an Alcantara dash? Might have just been an Evora I was thinking of.
The only Elise cars with the Alcantara dash were UK cars pre-2005, or S1 Exige, and some Cup cars. You can see this old dash design in the pic I've included. All the us-spec cars have the foam dash, or the ultra rare carbon fiber dash.

Lotus Trim Shop tries NOT to make their dash full Alcantara on the Evora, opting for the front-most parts instead. However, I'm aware that it can be ordered that way, or at least used to be possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      08-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #34
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LOL - I think it is age related and I agree with you. I have seen many with it that look fantastic - but my mind won't ever let it be as nice as other version.

It's like the matte and frosted paints. When I was a kid you drove around with your matte primered car until you could FINALLY afford to paint it - that was the last step and meant you were finally done. So these matte colors just to my brain look like primer. LOL

Not that many years ago dudes got lambasted for wearing shorts that were not 3" past their knees. Not the short shorts from 1960 gym class are coming back and are cool again. What comes around goes around I guess.

Let's hope common sense makes a come back someday soon too..... LOL
      08-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #35
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I will say that with how busy all the interiors are nowdays, I much prefer dry carbon for the dash, but do still enjoy alcantara for the seats and some accessory bits, like on my Exige.

I think the car that made me fall in love with the alcantara dash was the NSX-R, which was super simple, and fantastically elegant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #36
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Agreed! I really hate how most "sport" branded car trims have alcantara/suede seat inserts. Why not throw in a mini disco ball to hang from the mirror too?

As far as I'm concerned, alcantara and carbon fiber trim are two of the most gaudy interior trends that just won't die.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #37
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
Agreed! I really hate how most "sport" branded car trims have alcantara/suede seat inserts. Why not throw in a mini disco ball to hang from the mirror too?
Not sure it's disco-ball bad, but ok. lol

The alcantara seat inserts are there to hold your ass in place better, and as a bonus they give some contrast to the leather sides, which wear better on ingress/egress.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #38
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Not sure it's disco-ball bad, but ok. lol

The alcantara seat inserts are there to hold your ass in place better, and as a bonus they give some contrast to the leather sides, which wear better on ingress/egress.
Haha, it just reminds me too much of the gross velvet sofa at every great aunt's house.

Appreciate 3
      08-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #39
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
Haha, it just reminds me too much of the gross velvet sofa at every great aunt's house.

I kind of get that way with red interiors, but there are a few I really like.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      08-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #40
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I prefer alcantara inserts on seats as I find that I slide around more in leather seats than cloth. I don't care for the aftermarket look of making everything alcantara but I don't mind it in moderate doses like seat/door inserts. Visually it provides a nice soft look as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #41
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

I really like alcantara,in my opinion looks awesome an give a very nice tactile feeling

The downside is that needs a little bit more maintenance compared to leather
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'ma huge fan, to the pint where I am actively shopping for a certain 911 and if Alcantara has been deleted, I pass.

Maybe it's a 911, for me, it totally changes the interior from grand tourer to sporty. I'd actually prefer cloth seats over leather for the same reason.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #43
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I prefer alcantara inserts on seats as I find that I slide around more in leather seats than cloth. I don't care for the aftermarket look of making everything alcantara but I don't mind it in moderate doses like seat/door inserts. Visually it provides a nice soft look as well.
+1 but only if the leather seats are nice, soft semi-aniline leather like Nappa or Merino.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #44
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

This thread reminds me of...I think it was either a Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, or maybe Jay Leno's Garage with Seinfeld...can't remember...what I do remember is Seinfeld talking down Alcantara.
Appreciate 0