BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Porsche Taycan vs Tesla Model S

09-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Porsche Taycan vs Tesla Model S

Difference is smaller than you might have been led to believe.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
yco5722.50
      09-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Nerd. Actually interesting overview. I won't read the C/D article because I think it would hurt my head. The telling thing is in the last few minutes when Car and Driver does a 75MPH highway test Porsche Turbo S vs Tesla Performance S and the range in only about 13 miles different (Tesla ahead by 13).

I've said this in other threads and I'll repeat, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S (stupid name since there is no Turbo) is the only EV that I have any interest in at all, and I can't afford one so I guess I'l be sticking with ICE for now.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Nerd. Actually interesting overview. I won't read the C/D article because I think it would hurt my head. The telling thing is in the last few minutes when Car and Driver does a 75MPH highway test Porsche Turbo S vs Tesla Performance S and the range in only about 13 miles different (Tesla ahead by 13).

I've said this in other threads and I'll repeat, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S (stupid name since there is no Turbo) is the only EV that I have any interest in at all, and I can't afford one so I guess I'l be sticking with ICE for now.
Porsche has long abandoned the significance of the Turbo as a description and more of a trim and performance level. Almost all of their ICE cars are now turbocharged. To me the Turbo model means it’s the most powerful and luxurious trim of a particular model. All the GT cars are more like street legal race cars and the GTS is the sporty trim level. At least that how I think of them.

I am waiting for an EV Macan and then may replace my Macan Turbo.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      09-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Porsche has long abandoned the significance of the Turbo as a description and more of a trim and performance level. Almost all of their ICE cars are now turbocharged. To me the Turbo model means it’s the most powerful and luxurious trim of a particular model. All the GT cars are more like street legal race cars and the GTS is the sporty trim level. At least that how I think of them.

I am waiting for an EV Macan and then may replace my Macan Turbo.
Yeah, I get all that. I think back to when I was a kid and the Porsche Turbo Carrera (930) Widow Maker was the car to be feared.

I'm a Porsche guy, and I'm a bit older so I hang onto things that make sense to me, so the 930 is the Turbo.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Yeah, I get all that. I think back to when I was a kid and the Porsche Turbo Carrera (930) Widow Maker was the car to be feared.

I'm a Porsche guy, and I'm a bit older so I hang onto things that make sense to me, so the 930 is the Turbo.
It still is. You get the 930 interior style trim standard in the Turbo.
Appreciate 0