BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Thoughts on a Subaru BRZ?

09-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #45
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

If your having a tough time making ends meet with your lease, you will definitely have a harder time paying for the BRZ. Upon purchase there will be more money out of pocket and since you must pay off the full amount of the value, the monthly payment will be greater.

As for the BRZ. It drives fantastically and gets great gas mileage for what it is. However, you BMW is much more refined and I guarantee that it will outperform the BRZ in every aspect, especially in daily driver duty. If I were you, I would get a BMS stage 1, coilovers and nice wheel/tire combo. You will not be disappointed. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #46
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Lots of guys selling their boosted/supercharged BRZ/FRS' on forums. They usually go for about the same price as a new BRZ/FRS
      09-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #47
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I liked my BRZ a lot. You see a LOT more FRS's on the road, I like the BRZ looks and as everyone said handling is awesome.

Stock, it's a super fun car to throw around, the car is very underpowered for what it is though, it's fun, but could use another 50-100hp.

I modified mine to 300 at the wheels and it was a little rocket, and with nice coilovers, lowered, nice wide wheels and tires, you have one heck of a car.

It's a tuner car at that point, where you've added a lot of extra aftermarket stuff (it gets addicting), but the range is endless as far as how far you want to take your car.

BRZ is a great car, and most impotantly REAR WHEEL DRIVE.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #48
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
If your having a tough time making ends meet with your lease, you will definitely have a harder time paying for the BRZ. Upon purchase there will be more money out of pocket and since you must pay off the full amount of the value, the monthly payment will be greater.

As for the BRZ. It drives fantastically and gets great gas mileage for what it is. However, you BMW is much more refined and I guarantee that it will outperform the BRZ in every aspect, especially in daily driver duty. If I were you, I would get a BMS stage 1, coilovers and nice wheel/tire combo. You will not be disappointed. To each their own.
I agree about BMW being more refined. I'm sure I would still love the BRZ, but I think the hardest thing for me would be the transition from BMW to BRZ. However, I wouldn't be purchasing the car, just leasing.

Also, if I do switch over (which is still under consideration), this would be my first manual transmission, so I don't think I'd be too concerned about being fast and furious just yet, lol.

Anyway, I'm heading to the Subaru dealership today after work to check out a special order they said they just got in, not sure what that means. I have my eye on the pearl white color, but in any case, I'm only going today to discuss numbers and see what kinda deal I can get.
      09-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #49
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Theres a $6k or so turbo kit to get you into the upper 200s whp. But thats about it as far as power goes.

Where do you get your info from? You are so far from educated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #50
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Ok, so I checked out the BRZ last night, and it's definitely a fun little car, but I'm gonna stick with my Bimmer. I think I just had a lapse of judgement, and I got it out of my system. I felt so wrong checking out another car, it was almost like cheating... which I've never done, just for the record

I know 320i's are at the bottom of the 3-series totem pole as far as performance goes, and my car in particular is far from loaded, but I'm very happy with the performance I get out of it, and I don't think I could split from the exterior and interior quality and amenities
      09-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #51
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Where do you get your info from? You are so far from educated.

5k for 90whp gain
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FRKUfgodCq4FEw

6k for mid to upper 200s
https://www.subispeed.com/avo-stage-...A#.VehkJBFViko

4k for low to mid 200s
http://www.customcarscentral.com/avo...FQZbfgodOQ4Gfg

Or are these all incorrect?

You can even go through google and see that save a couple cars with big builds, they are all under 300whp with turbo upgrades. Or are those all incorrect too?

Last edited by csu87; 09-03-2015 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #52
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
5k for 90whp gain
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FRKUfgodCq4FEw

6k for mid to upper 200s
https://www.subispeed.com/avo-stage-...A#.VehkJBFViko

4k for low to mid 200s
http://www.customcarscentral.com/avo...FQZbfgodOQ4Gfg

Or are these all incorrect?

You can even go through google and see that save a couple cars with big builds, they are all under 300whp with turbo upgrades. Or are those all incorrect too?

Nice deflection via some cursory googling, but reread your original post:

Quote:
Theres a $6k or so turbo kit to get you into the upper 200s whp. But thats about it as far as power goes.

Theres a kit. A kit? You just disproved yourself. There are stupid amounts of options for the twins. Turbos, superchargers, hell, even a decently potent electric supercharger. Most are in the $3k-$5k range.

And that's about it as far as power goes? According to you and your assumptions?

Sure there are overpriced kits. But you saying there is one kit, and its only good for 2xx whp is just plain stupid and a baseless assumption that you are trying to prove with a couple of handpicked examples.

My kit was about $4k with supporting mods, and I make just under 500whp. Most kits out there are under $6k and make at least in the 300s. Fact.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #53
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well, I spent a LOT more than that on my BRZ (Full Blown Premium stage 1 kit) and added methanol injection, standalone ECU, clutch, radiator, BIG titanium exhaust, coilovers, wheels and tires, and a bunch of other stuff to make the car handle the extra power and heat, and sold it because I changed my mind and wanted a Pantera.

The new owner got a proper tune and at 7lbs boost got 350 to the wheels, and could easily go to close to 500whp if he wanted to change a couple things (switch to E85, bigger injectors). I had closer 13-15 grand (just engine mods) into my car but it was a completely modded car.

It WAS a rocket though, and with the big wheels and tires it was a serious car at that point.

Stock, the BRZ is a fun, agile little car, but coming from the power of my modded 135i, I NEEDED to mod my BRZ because I couldn't deal with the lack of power.

The BRZ is one heck of a car for the money though, and one can thoughtfully add a turbo kit for much less than I spent (although it's hard, there's no room, and more mods need to be made for heat) but there's many people out there running turbo kits that are very happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #54
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG C63S

Garage List
BRZ/FRS is a really fun car, but to me, personally, i would say it's boring car if you stop tuning it and buying aftermarket parts.
BMW F30 335i M Performance Edition
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0