BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2021+ Ford Bronco

07-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #177
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why would you want an automatic in anything? Just my opinion, but I'd roll a Sprinter with a manual.
I've never understood quite why, but 'Murica seems to be obsessed with AT's, but the rest of the world is quite happy with MT's.

I remember walking down a German street with a buddy about five years back-- MT, MT, MT, MT, MT, AT on all of the cars parked on the street.

Maybe that's why they get the "cool" and we get overbloated SUV's?
That's all changed from when I worked there. Once F1 drivers gave up the third pedal, all the mini Fangios converted to flappy paddles. Take rates on manuals are higher in the US than in the EU.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #178
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Apparently they doubled the numbers of the first edition trims and its still sold out!

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/21/...ction-doubled/
      07-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #179
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Apparently they doubled the numbers of the first edition trims and its still sold out!

Ford is going to make a MINT on these things.

It's sort of weird-- the car isn't released yet, not much more than teasers and computer generated photo's have been seen by the public, and everyone's going nutty over it.

I've had several friends and neighbors already put down their $100 deposit on it-- and a few of them aren't even SUV people and at least a couple are the "vehicles are transportation, not a love affair" types.

Huh.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      07-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #180
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
I've never understood quite why, but 'Murica seems to be obsessed with AT's, but the rest of the world is quite happy with MT's.

I remember walking down a German street with a buddy about five years back-- MT, MT, MT, MT, MT, AT on all of the cars parked on the street.

Maybe that's why they get the "cool" and we get overbloated SUV's?

Because everyone here is obsessed with eating and drinking in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #181
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

It's sort of weird-- the car isn't released yet, not much more than teasers and computer generated photo's have been seen by the public, and everyone's going nutty over it.

I've had several friends and neighbors already put down their $100 deposit on it-- and a few of them aren't even SUV people and at least a couple are the "vehicles are transportation, not a love affair" types.

Huh.
it's true and interesting observation
we live in a very interesting world, where ppl die for a very sticky Cup 2 tires when they drive their "sports" sedan/cars once or twice on a track per yr and 99% on daily commute or washing/detailing in their garage, ppl opt for a roll caged sports car when it's really used on a weekend supermarket run, others attracted to "save $$, be cool" Tesla movement when they are overpaying for a car to begin with that actually requires $16~20 dollars to supercharge in a city like NYC (I mean, what's the point???)

Speaking of Bronco, I personally was waiting for an SUV like this for yrs, because for me, I HATE SUVs that has no capability as an SUV. Otherwise, just get a sedan as it serves the exact same purpose, right?
-those X4/X6 that has 0 cargo space
-Macan that has 0 backseat, you legit get headache sitting in that back seat
-As much as I am an M fan/owner, I HATE "sports SUVs", take X5M for an example. ride height is just above that of a sedan...I mean...why drive an SUV?

The new Bronco seems to suit so many ppl so well. Hence, what a hit!

Been in the affordable (CRV, Lexus NX300) to high end (ML, Range Rover Sport) SUV game as my "daily driver", realized I wanted something more fun or more capable SUV after taking some of my cars on a mild off-roading or camp sites.
Highly considered wrangler, but man it's way too loud and way too little space (believe it or not, it's very compact inside). I'm sure it's a great off-roader.
Highly considered 4Runner, test drove 2019 4runner...and it reminded me of my first car, 1999 Nissan Pathfinder (plus a navi screen + 1 more speed on transmission, 5 speed compared to my 4 speed on a 99 pathfinder)
Later considered Raptor, but living in an urban/city area, realized a truck is too big and I never use the truck bed..but man their interior is HUGE and so usable, first time I actually considered a truck

The reason why I share all these is because whoever led the Bronco project, it really jus fits a lot of ppl, and perhaps fulfills what a lot of ppl look for.
- 6 trims that suits all ppl, from those who want a simple base offroader under 30K, to those who want the "unique" limited edition to those real hardcore offroaders.
- Those actual overlanders/offroaders are IN LOVE with this car because it's got all the offroad capability yet got all the latest techs and creature comforts. you can get simple basic 4x4 to a serious offroader with beadlock wheels, mud terrains, steel front and rear bumper as FACTORY.
- Timeless classic design (why we love Fiat 500, Mini cooper, Porsche 911, Wrangler designs)
- Civilized. It has all the latest ford stuff. No it's not unique, but it does get the popular 2.3 or 2.7 ecoboost with 10 speed auto that they use in other cars. Hence, affordable, parts won't be expensive. most importantly, it's got the "latest" powerband (compared to other body on frame suv 4 runner or wrangler has) with an expected respectable mpg
- Right in-between wrangler or 4runner. It's got the space, utility, offroad capability with body on frame design

Lastly, you're right. We have to see it out in front of our eyes and testdrive it.
And you are right that people (including me ) are over-reacting with thie "pre-order" BS, it's just securing a reservation for an order that will happen first week of December.
But at least, dealers are taking it serious and contacting each customer with creating a registry for their own order sheet, at least setting up actual allocations for each owner, and Ford is in fact ONLY building "ORDERED BRONCOS" in the beginning. Also, with this reservation + ordering process in December, we won't see much of added dealer markups, in fact majority of dealers have confirmed they will go with ford's sticker/msrp price once option prices are out. Lastly, it's being seen more and more now, Ford in Michigan jus introduced a 2Dr and 4Dr to public, it seems pretty promising as they advertised in the launching video

Last edited by jaehshim; 07-21-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #182
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

Huh.
Agreed. I mentioned earlier that a Bronco is almost the polar opposite of the capabilities I want my vehicle to have... I hate even having my sunroof shade open never mind taking the roof and doors off; and the closest I get to going off road is the Cross Bronx Expressway. Having an ability to participate HDPE is nice; and I drive 30k miles a year so I value highway cruising. This is not the profile of a Bronco buyer. All this being said even I feel the pull of the Bronco! I have noticed myself actually trying to justify how I can fit it into my life. lol I blame phenomenon on great design. It's clear to everyone that Ford got it right.
      07-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #183
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Agreed. I mentioned earlier that a Bronco is almost the polar opposite of the capabilities I want my vehicle to have... I hate even having my sunroof shade open never mind taking the roof and doors off; and the closest I get to going off road is the Cross Bronx Expressway. Having an ability to participate HDPE is nice; and I drive 30k miles a year so I value highway cruising. This is not the profile of a Bronco buyer. All this being said even I feel the pull of the Bronco! I have noticed myself actually trying to justify how I can fit it into my life. lol I blame phenomenon on great design. It's clear to everyone that Ford got it right.
Ah, but for you?

Bronco Sport.

(But only with AT)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #184
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If I ever sold my travel trailer and ended up buying a class A motorhome I would totally get one of these to flat tow behind. I sorta kinda like the wrangler, but I hate the interiors, tech and how uncomfortable they are. From what I've seen of the new bronco they seem to address all this, plus I think it's sexier and I would personally prefer a ford over a fiat.

The current JL Wrangler has made a massive improvement in the interior and tech compared to the previous JK model. Now with Jeep having competition on its way, I'm sure they will step up their game even more.
      07-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #185
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I don't off road so perhaps I'm displaying gross ignorance here, but I can't relate to why I'd want a manual trans in a 4x4. I understand the appeal in a sports car, but a off road vehicle?

One big appeal with a manual in a 4x4 is when you are on the trail. A low gear combined with 4WD low range can provide a "crawl ratio" allowing the vehicle to idle along at low speed without needing to use the clutch unless you come to a stop of course.

I believe the crawl ratio in my Tacoma with the 6MT and low range is something like 44:1. The current Wrangler Rubicon with the 6MT has an impressive ratio of 84:1, and the 7MT equipped Bronco models have an even more impressive ratio of 94:1. Those ratios will definitely help turning the taller tires on the Rubicon and Bronco.
      07-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #186
jesm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911S 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If I ever sold my travel trailer and ended up buying a class A motorhome I would totally get one of these to flat tow behind. I sorta kinda like the wrangler, but I hate the interiors, tech and how uncomfortable they are. From what I've seen of the new bronco they seem to address all this, plus I think it's sexier and I would personally prefer a ford over a fiat.

The current JL Wrangler has made a massive improvement in the interior and tech compared to the previous JK model. Now with Jeep having competition on its way, I'm sure they will step up their game even more.
I am a big fan of the Jeep Wrangler myself. I own a 2019 and this Bronco is looking great! I think Jeep and Land Rover are definitely going to up their game with this new competition. Sad how LR released such a soft looking Defender....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #187
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesm View Post
I am a big fan of the Jeep Wrangler myself. I own a 2019 and this Bronco is looking great! I think Jeep and Land Rover are definitely going to up their game with this new competition. Sad how LR released such a soft looking Defender....
I also like Jeep, my first car was a CJ5, so I have a soft spot for real "Jeeps"

I like the wrangler, but I don't fit well in them. I sat in the Gladiator and hit my head on the cross bar. The Wrangler seemed better, but still not great.

I was interested in a Diesel Rubicon, but for over 60k it isn't interesting enough to me.

I am very excited about the Bronco, I really prefer the 2 door, but the 4 door will work for me.
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      07-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #188
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Bronco's new Crawler gear explained

Murf99314114.00
jesm207.50
      07-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #189
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

A few comparison pics from the 'net today.

One is a base model with a disguised roof, and the other is a Badlands w/ Sasquatch package. Both are next to a Jeep Wrangler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
stein_325i25076.00
Miko M6650.50
jesm207.50
      07-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #190
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

One is a base model with a disguised roof, and the other is a Badlands w/ Sasquatch package. Both are next to a Jeep Wrangler.
Wow, those Bronco's are bigger than I thought, makes the Wrangler looks small.
      07-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #191
jesm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911S 2018

Quote:

That Bronco looks really good. It definitely makes the Wrangler look a little wimpy. It is a Base Wrangler though....I still think Jeep is going to improve to compete with the Bronco. I think its great to have two car companies continue to make exciting cars. Top and doors off, all terrain, different trims, etc...Its not all about loading cars with technology, its going back to basics.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #192
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Quote:

That's what I like.
Hoping more interior room than jeep.
I must be getting old.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #193
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
2-door jeep vs. 4-door broncos.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #194
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Can’t wait for the configurator to come out. The base model 2 door with Sasquatch pack and manual could be a nice purist model. I’ll take it in Race Red please.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #195
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Can't wait for the configurator to come out. The base model 2 door with Sasquatch pack and manual could be a nice purist model. I'll take it in Race Red please.
No manual Squatch.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #196
1claire
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Alpine White

It seems like Bronco is up for the competition. Is it just me or this jeep looks better than the Wrangler?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #197
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No manual Squatch.
Well shit.

Looks like they will have an advanced 4x4 option for the manual that comes with 33" tires. It'll be interesting to see how how all the options play out on it.

I'd be shopping it head to head with a Willy's model JL Wrangler with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #198
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Finally figured out what these things remind me of.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6650.50