BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Time for a New Daily

11-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Time for a New Daily

I think the time has come to get something new. Short story is I have a 2013.5 GLI DSG that pounds out my 90% highway commute and my E90 M3 6MT for weekend toy duty. We've got a little Mazda 3 as well, but I miss having an SUV or truck to toss the dog or camping gear in and not feel bad about getting some dirt on it. Toss in the "is it paved?" question any time we go somewhere and we realize that it's time for something bigger (err...taller?).

I figured I'd reach out to the masses and see what you would do and what it is that I'm overlooking.

Wants:
  • 4 doors
  • SUV or truck
  • Automatic
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Cool factor (something the car guys like myself like - not a CR-V for example)
  • Relatively calm for daily duty - I don't want a soft top Jeep where I can't hear myself think
  • 4WD/AWD (talk me out of this - we're not the ultra active people, maybe a calm hike and a couple camping trips a year and I would say that the most the vehicle would see would be some logging roads on our way to a cabin or something. The appeal for this is 1) Resale and 2) The one day a year that Atlanta gets "inclement weather".)

I wouldn't mind picking up a Tacoma, but I can't get over how much these things are going for (new OR used). I've got friends with the newer body style, and for the money I just wasn't impressed. The cabin noise was bleh, the interior plastics were from something half the price... I don't know. Super cool truck and ultra reliable, but I'd be a buyer at $10k less than they go for. I feel a little better with the 4 Runners from a quality perspective for some reason, but I still think they're overpriced.

I surprisingly liked the new Jeep Compass Trailhawk (from an aesthetic point of view; I've yet to sit in one). Drive up to the mid-Atlantic, and they have $1500 cash rebate from the factory and I'm finding things selling a good chunk below MSRP already for the 2018 models. It just seems...wimpy. Am I wrong in saying that?

I'm open for new or used, but would like to be able to trade in the paid-for VW towards something in that $20k-$25k range I'd imagine. What would you do? Why is this a difficult option to find?

Thanks guys and gals!
-Tyler
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I am in a similar situation - looking for an unique CUV/SUV to go along with my M3. I round up to three options... Jeep Compass Trailhawk, wait for the new JL Wrangler, or the sensible choice of Mazda CX-5. There aren't really many options unless you go above $50K.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Ridgeline all the way, not too big or ostentatious, bullet proof, drives more like a car but has your needed clearance and excellent resale.

I will never understand Jeep anything, absolute rubbish, and Toyota is crazy expensive in this market.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Rap-ta

Ok I didn't help I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Ridgeline all the way, not too big or ostentatious, bullet proof, drives more like a car but has your needed clearance and excellent resale.

I will never understand Jeep anything, absolute rubbish, and Toyota is crazy expensive in this market.
Reminds me a Subaru Baja. Hideous.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding the 4WD/AWD comment. My heart wants it, but my brain says I don't need it. With the price spectrum I'm looking at, adding 4WD in the mix seems to be adding 15-20% to the cost of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywai2 View Post
I am in a similar situation - looking for an unique CUV/SUV to go along with my M3. I round up to three options... Jeep Compass Trailhawk, wait for the new JL Wrangler, or the sensible choice of Mazda CX-5. There aren't really many options unless you go above $50K.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I really just don't see anything that fits the bill. I watched a video last night with one of the new Renegade Trailhawks and was impressed. I just wish it wasn't so "look at me" with the stupid mud splat red line and red EVERYTHING interior.

Really disappointed that the Renegade and Compass get a non-turbo in a small vehicle like this (dude, it's 2017...catch up) and that it's mated to a NINE speed transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Interesting choice on the Ridgeline. I hadn't even thought of that. I do think that the front of them look like the Odyssey minivans, though

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 11-14-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Like you, I had a MK6 GLI for my daily and a E90 6MT for the weekend!

I recently sold the GLI and got a 2014 Audi A4 Quattro for the daily. Much more refined and comfortable, a little less gas mileage. I didn't have a need for a SUV or truck.
      11-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Like you, I had a MK6 GLI for my daily and a E90 6MT for the weekend!

I recently sold the GLI and got a 2014 Audi A4 Quattro for the daily. Much more refined and comfortable, a little less gas mileage. I didn't have a need for a SUV or truck.
It's been an interesting mix that's for sure. It's funny that you're not the first person to tell me that you have the same combo as me, too (with quite a few GTIs as well). I have yet to see someone have a GLI/GTI DD with an E92 or E93, however. Must be something about the four doors?

I bought the GLI new towards the end of 2013 and haven't had much to complain about in the past 75k-ish miles. But up until recently, I've had a minimal commute. Now that I've introduced the monotonous drone of a highway commute, I've come to realize that it's a cheaper car than I remember paying for. LOTS of cabin noise and I've started to pick at the door plastics here lately. Mix my new-found "bleh" affection for the car and wanting something a bit bigger...here we are looking for a truck or SUV.
Appreciate 1
Z K1886.00
      11-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
It's been an interesting mix that's for sure. It's funny that you're not the first person to tell me that you have the same combo as me, too (with quite a few GTIs as well). I have yet to see someone have a GLI/GTI DD with an E92 or E93, however. Must be something about the four doors?

I bought the GLI new towards the end of 2013 and haven't had much to complain about in the past 75k-ish miles. But up until recently, I've had a minimal commute. Now that I've introduced the monotonous drone of a highway commute, I've come to realize that it's a cheaper car than I remember paying for. LOTS of cabin noise and I've started to pick at the door plastics here lately. Mix my new-found "bleh" affection for the car and wanting something a bit bigger...here we are looking for a truck or SUV.
I've always been a fan of sports sedans so the M3 came first, then the GLI as the need for a daily and a car for longer trips was needed.

The GLI has been a good car and very reliable. Cabin noise in the GLI I was able to reduce with some quieter tires. The OEM tires are terrible. Jumping into the M3 felt like a huge difference. Everything was better in the M3.

Like you, I just wanted a nicer car to drive every day. The GLI had 90k miles. I was considering replacing the worn shocks and doing some maintenance but a A4 came up exactly as I liked it equipped and in near mint condition so I got that instead.

My friends often rub it in that I have 2 sedans... I guess I just like having the extra practicality in case I need it.
      11-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

4WD, in Atlanta? I’m in Minneapolis and even here 4WD/AWD is totally unnecessary.
Appreciate 0