BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos California Banning Gas-Powered Car Sales Starting 2035

Closed Thread

09-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #89
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Achimedes65, the auto industry is going to take this "threat" seriously and will adjust their auto manufacturing accordingly. If Newsome is full of sh*t he is going to have a lot of explaining to do when the auto industry only has EV to sell.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #90
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Achimedes65, the auto industry is going to take this "threat" seriously and will adjust their auto manufacturing accordingly. If Newsome is full of sh*t he is going to have a lot of explaining to do when the auto industry only has EV to sell.
The auto industry is trending that way already and probably isn't taking this 'executive order' all that seriously and/or making any changes to their plans. We will go largely electric over time naturally, not through regulatory edict. Newsom will be back running his winery and banging his friends wives by the time this decision is shown for the folly it is.

And if you adjust the time table using the standard 'Elon Musk EV Time Adjustment Ratio' the actual time that this will happen is likely sometime around 2075.
Appreciate 3
bubbaboy107.50
David701567.00
      09-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #91
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

The problem as I see it is that battery technology and the electrical infrastructure just doesn't exist yet to have governments force this move especially in such a short time. Electric vehicles are not "green" at all so that is not a reason to go electric yet. This is simply a move by politicians to try and appeal to a base with moves that are not based on science.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #92
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
There won't be anyone still living in CA in 2035 at the rate things are going.
LOL, and it used to be one of my biggest goals in life to move to California! Talking about broken dreams....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #93
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I read that hybrids also count. Makes sense to why most manufacturers including BMW is going hybrid.
      09-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #94
Narco1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp 21

Not to offend anyone, but are we really talking about something that is 15 years away. Wow! Would like to see who is even using this forum, if it still exists in 15 years. This law could also change several times over the next 15 years.

Live and enjoy today, which is the greatest time to be a HP junky.

With the high taxes, violence, homelessness and huge environmental issues California could be a wasteland in 15 years. I think we need to care more about these issues than having to drive an electric car in 15 years if you live in California.

Last edited by Narco1; 09-29-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #95
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Newsome won't have anything to explain, he will be long retired. There will be 15 years to figure out what to do, not like the date hits and we realize it can't be done and there aren't any cars to sell. If they went off the cliff with nothing to sell in 2035 the people in charge at the time would be the ones that would have a lot of explaining to do.

As for the lack of electricity, renewables have increased a pretty good amount and natural gas has gone down a large part of the same amount. What happened to this source and these plants? If natural gas had stayed level the overall capacity would be far greater than what is needed. Electricity generation is almost flat over the last 20 years and it will likely need to increase in the future, not an insurmountable problem. Solar and wind production continue to increase and I don't see a reason for this to end.

CA Electricity https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ity-and-energy
Name:  CA generation.png
Views: 1277
Size:  261.4 KB
      09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #96
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Newsome won't have anything to explain, he will be long retired. There will be 15 years to figure out what to do, not like the date hits and we realize it can't be done and there aren't any cars to sell. If they went off the cliff with nothing to sell in 2035 the people in charge at the time would be the ones that would have a lot of explaining to do.

As for the lack of electricity, renewables have increased a pretty good amount and natural gas has gone down a large part of the same amount. What happened to this source and these plants? If natural gas had stayed level the overall capacity would be far greater than what is needed. Electricity generation is almost flat over the last 20 years and it will likely need to increase in the future, not an insurmountable problem. Solar and wind production continue to increase and I don't see a reason for this to end.

CA Electricity https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ity-and-energy
Attachment 2425496
We don't have enough power capacity to handle even current peak power, much less millions more EVs. We have these things called rolling blackouts every summer now. Oh and the State is actually considering restarting some natural gas plants ('the horror!'), it's gotten so bad. That's like eating poison to the tree huggers.

And our largest power company, PG&E, is bankrupt and doesn't have the money to even adequately maintain its current infrastructure, much less make the investments that would be required to support a fully EV California.

And there's also that massive budget deficit and looming pension crisis that are going to consume any State funds that come along in the next decade or two.

Newsom's order is nothing more than media grandstanding. It means nothing. He could have said, 'In 2035 all people will need to grow their own food' and it would have been just as realistic as this pipe dream. California loves to talk a big game, but if you really look at the reality in just about every area, it falls way short of expectations. Our air quality sucks in every major metropolitan area, income inequality is awful, homelessness is off the charts, our prisons are full and crime is up. It's a good thing Newsom doesn't have anything more important to do with his time...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #97
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/91620...e-cars-by-2035

California Governor Signs Order Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars By 2035
You must be the last person on the face of the earth, to realize the world is moving to electric.
I say this every time, but the consumer has the final say... and so far we're not having it. EVs are still fringe vehicles that have to be mandated for people to buy them.
      09-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #98
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I seem to recall the CA Gov stating that "for now" ICE would be allowed.
Remember- here in the USA politicians work for us. They do what we say not the other way around.
      10-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #99
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Guess this leads to the question...Will there be sub $15k EV's for sale in 14 years? A lot of new car buyers shop inexpensive new cars. If not, current Gov plans to alienate many buyers.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #100
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
Guess this leads to the question...Will there be sub $15k EV's for sale in 14 years? A lot of new car buyers shop inexpensive new cars. If not, current Gov plans to alienate many buyers.
Die to inflation alone there won't be any sub-$25k cars for sale in the US in 14yrs.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #101
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

While this is all good and such, 15 years later is a long time.
In the mean time, all they do is complain about climate change and how people that don't believe it are horrible and somehow responsible?

I believe climate change is real, ok then what? What's the plan to ease the affects right now?
California has one of the strictest emissions laws in the country yet every year the heat waves and wild fires has gotten worse. And every year they come out and saying the same excuse, it's the non believers fault.

No real actions to combat the yearly wild fires (CARB don't allow controlled burns)
No real actions to update the grid infrastructure to stop ignitions.

All I can say is this is all a show for them, they don't really care about the environment, and yet people keep voting for these yahoos.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #102
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Unless the environmentalists begin to call for the annihilation of India and China, I won't be convinced that they actually believe in climate change. 😂
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
Closed Thread