BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Here we go again - PB M40i Build Tracking

07-12-2023, 07:56 AM   #45
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Thank you for that. Bummer, no ProdWeek line. I do see prodDate though. no ISO number either.
Looking at mine, I see you are correct. The ProdDate shows up when it goes to status 150, Production Starts.

I got the build week from my CA on his inquiry report. You can ask your CA for the build week or you can call the BMW Genius. They can give you the build week. Production Begins is about 2 weeks before the build week.
Horseman4131.50
      07-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #46
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Looking at mine, I see you are correct. The ProdDate shows up when it goes to status 150, Production Starts.

I got the build week from my CA on his inquiry report. You can ask your CA for the build week or you can call the BMW Genius. They can give you the build week. Production Begins is about 2 weeks before the build week.
Thanks if nothing else it'll help with planning a bit :P
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #47
sebinego
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (G29)

Hi everyone - sorry if it's by any means off-topic, but thought this might be a good thread to throw a question at.

I've placed my order for an M40i on May 23rd and this morning the dealership contacted me and mentioned that a production slot isn't going to be allocated for August either (was supposed to be scheduled for July, based on what they mentioned as an approximate when I placed the order). Based on what they told me, I'm the "first in line" for the slot allocations since June (country-wise, of course) and there are no delays or shortages with any of the components. Yet, somehow, it's the third production month in a row that's missed.

If you can remember - how long have you actually waited to get a production slot after you placed your order for a new car?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #48
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebinego View Post
Hi everyone - sorry if it's by any means off-topic, but thought this might be a good thread to throw a question at.

I've placed my order for an M40i on May 23rd and this morning the dealership contacted me and mentioned that a production slot isn't going to be allocated for August either (was supposed to be scheduled for July, based on what they mentioned as an approximate when I placed the order). Based on what they told me, I'm the "first in line" for the slot allocations since June (country-wise, of course) and there are no delays or shortages with any of the components. Yet, somehow, it's the third production month in a row that's missed.

If you can remember - how long have you actually waited to get a production slot after you placed your order for a new car?

Cheers!
Unfortunately, this is a dealer by dealer issue. San Antonio managed to get me an allocation, but Austin wouldn’t be able to get me one until the end of the year.. possibly even early next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #49
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, this is a dealer by dealer issue. San Antonio managed to get me an allocation, but Austin wouldn’t be able to get me one until the end of the year.. possibly even early next year.
This here. There's nothing country-wide. Each dealer has their own allocation slots. Sounds like yours doesn't have one at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 09:59 AM   #50
sebinego
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (G29)

Yes, totally agree on the dealer-specific allocation, that's perfectly true. But, the "country-wide" reference is a real thing on this side of the world haha. Coming to think about it, there might be some differences in terms of how the selling process works (between Romania and the USA).

Over here, it's quite easy to find out who gets a slot to be allocated ("who", as in the dealership), as even though the dealerships are different companies per-se, they all collaborate with a country-wide LLC.
Some context: the BMW Group used to have an official branch of their BMW Vertriebs GMBH (aka BMW Central and Southeastern Europe), but they changed that form of organization to a general LLC in terms of the business entity that has the rights to import cars in the country. So how it happens here is that the factory allocates the number of slots for all models at the "importer level", and based on that, the named-importer allocates them further (the logic behind - I have no clue). I rang a couple of other dealerships across the country (in different cities) to check if they got anything, but all of them mentioned that they haven't got any slots assigned for any Z4 since (guess when?) June. So the GM of the current dealership that I'm ordering through has sent an email to the director of the BMW's RO LLC (me in CC, that's why I trust them), to inquire about the production. The LLC that's handling the country-wide orders was the one that confirmed no slots have been assigned to any Z4 - plus some other cars like M3, i4, etc.).
While I initially thought as well to be a dealership issue, the importer confirmed that kind of the same happened last year, with some other models, but only lasted for 2 months. Thus, me thinking that someone else actually went through this unfortunate situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #51
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Mine skipped past "assembly in progress' all the way to "quality check" this morning.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 10:04 AM   #52
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebinego View Post
Yes, totally agree on the dealer-specific allocation, that's perfectly true. But, the "country-wide" reference is a real thing on this side of the world haha. Coming to think about it, there might be some differences in terms of how the selling process works (between Romania and the USA).

Over here, it's quite easy to find out who gets a slot to be allocated ("who", as in the dealership), as even though the dealerships are different companies per-se, they all collaborate with a country-wide LLC.
Some context: the BMW Group used to have an official branch of their BMW Vertriebs GMBH (aka BMW Central and Southeastern Europe), but they changed that form of organization to a general LLC in terms of the business entity that has the rights to import cars in the country. So how it happens here is that the factory allocates the number of slots for all models at the "importer level", and based on that, the named-importer allocates them further (the logic behind - I have no clue). I rang a couple of other dealerships across the country (in different cities) to check if they got anything, but all of them mentioned that they haven't got any slots assigned for any Z4 since (guess when?) June. So the GM of the current dealership that I'm ordering through has sent an email to the director of the BMW's RO LLC (me in CC, that's why I trust them), to inquire about the production. The LLC that's handling the country-wide orders was the one that confirmed no slots have been assigned to any Z4 - plus some other cars like M3, i4, etc.).
While I initially thought as well to be a dealership issue, the importer confirmed that kind of the same happened last year, with some other models, but only lasted for 2 months. Thus, me thinking that someone else actually went through this unfortunate situation.
Ahh, apologies. I did not realize you weren't in the US. I shouldn't have assumed that. I think it may be a little different based on what you're saying
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #53
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Mine skipped past "assembly in progress' all the way to "quality check" this morning.
Not unusual to not see all the steps between Entering the Assembly Line and Final Assembly. It's typically about 10 hours and the website doesn't update in real time.

Mine went straight from Quality Check to Awaiting Transport skipping Final Assembly.
      07-13-2023, 06:11 AM   #54
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Alright so it's in Production Begins now with the "prodDate" being 2023-08-17...
Appreciate 1
GerryC1613.00
      07-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #55
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Alright so it's in Production Begins now with the "prodDate" being 2023-08-17...
You better find some good series to binge watch on Netflix, Prime Video, etc. as I have a funny feeling that you will be having many sleepless nights obsessing about this.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      07-13-2023, 08:18 AM   #56
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
You better find some good series to binge watch on Netflix, Prime Video, etc. as I have a funny feeling that you will be having many sleepless nights obsessing about this.
Oh you should have seen my previous post when I had the 30i built. LOL I was much worse back then, at least I know what to expect this time.

So.. the reason why I'm doing this tracker again is because it was something that helped me out as a first time buyer. TAZ007 and Kwajtrader posted their build tracking as well and it was just so good to see how their schedules went.
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
      07-13-2023, 08:25 AM   #57
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh you should have seen my previous post when I had the 30i built. LOL I was much worse back then, at least I know what to expect this time.

So.. the reason why I'm doing this tracker again is because it was something that helped me out as a first time buyer. TAZ007 and Kwajtrader posted their build tracking as well and it was just so good to see how their schedules went.
Maybe you should watch a really good racing movie like Ford vs. Ferrari to pass the time? 🤪
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:31 AM   #58
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I do actually wanna watch that.

Horseman is a big nerd, I got plenty of things to keep me going right now lol Diablo IV, Final Fantasy 16, adulting ... but it's still fun to track. If my estimated time for delivery is correct... this should be a nice birthday present.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2023, 09:27 AM   #59
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do actually wanna watch that.

Horseman is a big nerd, I got plenty of things to keep me going right now lol Diablo IV, Final Fantasy 16, adulting ... but it's still fun to track. If my estimated time for delivery is correct... this should be a nice birthday present.
Actually, I know the feeling because I wanted my Z4 as a birthday present also. Luckily, my dealer came through for me when he located a Misano Blue beauty at another dealer and trucked it in.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      07-13-2023, 03:37 PM   #60
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Mine just changed to "waiting for carrier assignment". So it's built. Time for the real wait to start.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      07-13-2023, 04:29 PM   #61
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Mine just changed to "waiting for carrier assignment". So it's built. Time for the real wait to start.
You can find out what ship it's on and track it on kline roro.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 07:38 PM   #62
BlankProc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [9.33]
Quote:
Hey all, this is my first post here. Just joined to share my experience ordering one, and this seemed like a nice community.

Related to the above post, I'm in metro Atlanta, and the new car director at the dealer I worked with said there were at the current moment 22 allocations nationwide. Maybe just for that day or week? Seems low, even though I know this is a fairly low volume model.

Either way, really excited for the car (I got the M40i). Just got the allocation notice today after a few days wait, no production date just yet.
Appreciate 5
gkgeiger856.00
Horseman4131.50
StanDiego6248.50
ebirotedu1460.00
      07-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #63
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankProc View Post
Hey all, this is my first post here. Just joined to share my experience ordering one, and this seemed like a nice community.

Related to the above post, I'm in metro Atlanta, and the new car director at the dealer I worked with said there were at the current moment 22 allocations nationwide. Maybe just for that day or week? Seems low, even though I know this is a fairly low volume model.

Either way, really excited for the car (I got the M40i). Just got the allocation notice today after a few days wait, no production date just yet.
Outstanding! Welcome to the club. Hope that your production goes swift. Hopefully my timeline can at least give you some semblance of a baseline. Keep following this post to see progress on the build. Though no two builds were exactly the same in terms of time from allocation to delivery, they were all within the same window give or take 3-4 days. In the past we'd see some M40i builds get held up at the destination port for one reason or another, though. Here's hoping that our builds go smoothly.
Appreciate 1
BlankProc210.00
      07-13-2023, 11:23 PM   #64
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:

You might also find some good info at the following link. Be forewarned though that some of it is dated and no longer valid. Welcome to the fold!

P.S. Bimmerfest has a strong following for those into coding but, as you'll see, this forum is much more active and valuable for Z4 (G29) owners.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...ership.894728/
Appreciate 1
BlankProc210.00
      07-14-2023, 06:54 AM   #65
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats on joining our Unicorn family.

What color combination did you select and what options?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 07:06 AM   #66
BlankProc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
You might also find some good info at the following link. Be forewarned though that some of it is dated and no longer valid. Welcome to the fold!

P.S. Bimmerfest has a strong following for those into coding but, as you'll see, this forum is much more active and valuable for Z4 (G29) owners.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...ership.894728/
Thank you for this link! Will be watching the order like a hawk, of course. This is definitely on first look one of the better community forums out there.

I've been driving Benzes for the past 10 years. (2009 CLK, 2014 C250, 2016 E350 Sedan, 2014 SLK350, 2019 C300 Coupe, 2019 E450 Cab (Current)) They (like most brands) just don't have any option in this segment anymore, couldn't resist the Z4, wanted something more dynamic driving-wise than the E450.
Appreciate 0