BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 150mpg Prius

10-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Or a VW diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #24
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi

Wasn't there an article out there saying that prius was actually worse for the environment that Hummer in regards to some things?

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequitas330 View Post
Wasn't there an article out there saying that prius was actually worse for the environment that Hummer in regards to some things?
Not some things, the Prius was worse overall according to the study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 04:21 AM   #26
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:
I remember that article.

It said that the Prius had a great negative impact on the environment when production was considered. The manufacturing process for the Prius' components produce a higher level of pollution than normal cars. In addition to this, components are sent to different parts of the world for different stages of production. This transport taxes the environment heavily.

They concluded the study stating that, if you consider the life of the product + the production, it is worse for the environment than that of a Hummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Priuses are awesome cars, my brother in law owns one so I get to drive it any minute. Well built, amazing mpg, awesome interior, soft ride. Not a curve carver, but it's great for what it does – saving fuel.
I'm always surprised how people like to spread BS without even driving one. BMW drivers are arrogant.

The technology behind the car is quite interesting, but to me, the car's only worth is as a fashion accessory.

Compared to the Prius, normal economy cars cost much less, pollute the environment less, and are still reasonably efficient (48/45mpg Prius vs. 28/27mpg Corolla). And if you think you are saving money with the Prius, think again: It would 13.6 years to pay off the higher cost of the Prius (in comparison to the Corolla) if you drive 15'000 miles per year.

If your aim is to save money, buy a recent-year pre-owned economy car. They cost a lot less to buy and are cheap to operate. On top of all that, they will be much nicer to drive than a Prius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of good engineering. I'm interested in fuel-saving technologies, as they will shape the car industry's future. However, the Prius isn't about engineering. It's about marketing. People buy them because they think that they are efficient and good for environment. However, if they did their homework, they would have found otherwise. I even remember reading about how Toyota purposely styled the Prius to -look- like an efficient car. I don't like how companies try to play people like that.

I would definitely like the chance to try driving a Prius. The idea of tuning and technique-developing for better mpg is pretty cool. However, I wouldn't buy one or recommend one. If someone I knew were considering a Prius, I would definitely talk them out of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #27
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Worse than the Hummer? That's not possible.

The Hummer burns 9 miles per gal. Add on the 20+ inch rims and have a heavy foot and you're looking at 7 miles per gal.

Let's not forget the lifted Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks that burn the same, if not worse, miles per gallon.

Here's to burning up petro as quick as possible...

The more we burn, the better
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #28
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Worse than the Hummer? That's not possible.

The Hummer burns 9 miles per gal. Add on the 20+ inch rims and have a heavy foot and you're looking at 7 miles per gal.

Let's not forget the lifted Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks that burn the same, if not worse, miles per gallon.

Here's to burning up petro as quick as possible...

The more we burn, the better
False. The Hummer was better for the environment overall than the Prius.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #29
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
False. The Hummer was better for the environment overall than the Prius.

Please tell me in what ways?

The Hummer is a big Ogre that's a petroholic.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #30
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:

Please read my post above.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #31
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Because the metals used in the construction of the Prius screw with the environment far more than greenhouse gases ever could, in both being mined and disposed of after use.

Quote:
Appreciate 0