BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos '08 Supra - what do you think?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the '08 Supra
Looks good. 88 75.86%
Blah. 28 24.14%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

11-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #45
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Wow that Supra looks great! The price seems pretty reasonable if its sub $40K.

I think the GTR while it will probably be fast, is one of the ugliest disproportionate cars ever made and its most likely high price tag will keep it from being a competitor.

I do want to see the next G35 to see how it stacks up.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #46
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
Personally, I like it! I see alot of people on the Bimmer boards complain that all the Japanese cars look alike, particularly with the headlights & tail lights. At first I disagreed, but as time went on I started to feel the same way. Well, looking at the pics of the upcoming Supra, I don't think it's cookie cutter at all (aside from being a bit of a throwback to the last Supra). I was considering getting a new car this year (including an e90 or e92), but after I saw this I was glad I held off, and decided to wait and see if it does indeed surface next year.

Have a look at these articles (the top one being from the November Road & Track). Not that it will change my opinion any, but what do you guys think? Hot or not?

http://www.toyotalife.com/misc/2008supra_rt_s.jpg
http://www.2008toyotasupra.net/still...review-big.jpg
too eclipse, they dirtied it up
guess i'm oldschool...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #47
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

i have come to realize that this car will eat out of bmw sales
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #48
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001
Don't know if you guys will belive me or not, but i remembered once seeing a 'cop' supra with stickers reading DFW Police on the side and had the siren lights on the rooftop. anyone seen a supra cop?
there was a guy on this forum asking if a 335i could be wired as a cop car for high profile chases and stuff. i'm guessing any car could be made a police car if the police wanted to. the supra wouldn't be a bad choice (800hp TT cop car lol), wouldnt surprise me if it was true.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #49
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz
i have come to realize that this car will eat out of bmw sales
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. But for me, I've decided to wait until this car comes out (if it does) so that I can consider it along side a 328i e92.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #50
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. But for me, I've decided to wait until this car comes out (if it does) so that I can consider it along side a 328i e92.
i'm not jokin at all. . i could definetely see people who would've otherwise bought the 335i, switchin over to the supra for a variety of reasons.

- v8
- "toyota reliability" - i quote this because it's nothing more than a farce, but people actually believe it.
- pumped that it's actually a supra, which today are extremely rare in the used car market, because everyone loves them.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #51
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 m3

great looking car. great price for the performance it will knock out. impressive, and along with toyota's repuation for reliability, i'm sure this car will do fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #52
FranchisePlayer
Duval's finest
Rep
Drives: 2001 Ram Sport XLT

looks like the tesla

http://www.teslamotors.com
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #53
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- "toyota reliability" - i quote this because it's nothing more than a farce, but people actually believe it.
I believe it, mainly because I've seen different sources show proof in the form of statistics for reliability/consumer satisfaction (i.e. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power Associates, etc) that is is true.

Not trying to start an argument, but why do you feel it's a "farce"? And yes, I've heard the saying that '60% of all statistics are made up on the spot' and you can use statistics to prove anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #54
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
if toyota/lexus releases a new supra....how will that fit with the confirmed is500
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #55
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

IS500 = 4 door supra
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #56
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion
if toyota/lexus releases a new supra....how will that fit with the confirmed is500
It won't matter because they aren't coming out with a Supra anytime soon.

Fans of the car are the ones creating this, but the media and Toyota themselves have said they will not be releasing a Supra and performance cars will be released under the Lexus badge.
      12-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #57
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The base Supra is supposed to share the engine & frame with the IS350. I imagine the V8 Supra would share the engine & frame with the IS500. Beyond that, I think pretty much all the rest of the cars will be different. The Supra would certainly have the suspension tuned more for performance & handling, with the IS a bit softer.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #58
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude
It won't matter because they aren't coming out with a Supra anytime soon.

Fans of the car are the ones creating this, but the media and Toyota themselves have said they will not be releasing a Supra and performance cars will be released under the Lexus badge.
The November Road & Track article I posted suggested that the information did come from Toyota themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #59
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I saw those articles a year and some months ago when I first joined up at Supraforums.com. After they came out, toyota issued a public statement that the Supra was not coming back. The media was incorrect.

If a supercar for toyota comes out, its gonna have a lexus badge on it.
      12-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #60
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
I believe it, mainly because I've seen different sources show proof in the form of statistics for reliability/consumer satisfaction (i.e. Consumer Reports, J.D. Power Associates, etc) that is is true.

Not trying to start an argument, but why do you feel it's a "farce"? And yes, I've heard the saying that '60% of all statistics are made up on the spot' and you can use statistics to prove anything.
no, definetely not an argument, a legitamate question. the reason i believe those statistics are not completely legitamate is because, in my personal experience, i have never met a Toyota owner with more mileage on their car than mine. Lo and behold, my car is a BMW!

i believe if you take care of your BMW, do oil changes every 3-4k, use 93 fuel, pick your spots to go fast (dont stress the engine out all the time), the BMW will last as long if not longer than any Toyota.

the reason the Corolla lasts so long is because the build quality is above average, and the car doesn't make much power. so even if you beat the crap out of it, it won't break.

with BMW the build quality is higher, but performance is higher as well, meaning more people will drive it fast causing more stress and more parts to break.

i do believe reliability has everything to do with the driver - BMW drivers tend to drive their cars far more agressively as opposed to "A to B" Toyota drivers, so naturally people will have things break more often in the BMW.

but my car has always been taken care of, i'm almost always in 5th gear on the highway or driving at low RPM's.. it's almost 21 years old, original tranny and engine. 330,000 miles!!! it also runs like new. i beg anyone to find me a Toyota/Lexus owner with more miles than my car! i dont even think Lexus has been around long enough for anyone to have a car with 300k+ miles. sometimes i feel like taking a picture of the odometer and posting it in any thread where ppl say BMW reliability sucks! i cant wait till i can afford a nicer Bimmer, and place it next to my current baby to show everyone that BMW reliability is not that bad as all the Toyota drivers and statistics magazines make it out to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #61
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have never met a Toyota owner with more mileage on their car than mine....
it's almost 21 years old, original tranny and engine. 330,000 miles!!! it also runs like new.
Well, to be fair, I don't think you will find many people with more miles than that regardless of the brand of car. That's not because of the brand, it's simply because few people keep a car that long (or buy a used one with such high milage). Also, with pretty much all German brands (BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc), I am somewhat of the opinion that "back in the day" they were built to be bulletproof. But I don't think that is really the case today. Similiarly, 21 years ago, Japanese brands were not considered that great. But today, I think most will agree that the Toyota's & Subaru's (etc) are very solid cars. The shoe is now on the other foot, so to speak. At least that's how I see it.

Regardless, congrats on making it 1/3rd of the way to the million mile mark. You sound very proud of your car, and I hope you can some day announce that you have driven it another 330,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #62
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
Well, to be fair, I don't think you will find many people with more miles than that regardless of the brand of car. That's not because of the brand, it's simply because few people keep a car that long (or buy a used one with such high milage). Also, with pretty much all German brands (BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc), I am somewhat of the opinion that "back in the day" they were built to be bulletproof. But I don't think that is really the case today. Similiarly, 21 years ago, Japanese brands were not considered that great. But today, I think most will agree that the Toyota's & Subaru's (etc) are very solid cars. The shoe is now on the other foot, so to speak. At least that's how I see it.

Regardless, congrats on making it 1/3rd of the way to the million mile mark. You sound very proud of your car, and I hope you can some day announce that you have driven it another 330,000 miles.

i do agree that honda and nissan DO have great reliability. no denying it.

but to all the people who bought BMW's should know that they CAN last that long as well if you take proper care of em. just use me as an example
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #63
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude

If a supercar for toyota comes out, its gonna have a lexus badge on it.
they would have to.....they cant slap a supercar price onto a toyota....only a lexus

i thought they would have dont it the similar to the 350z/g35 thing

i have lost all hope for a supra....as long as the IS is around
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #64
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
they would have to.....they cant slap a supercar price onto a toyota....only a lexus

i thought they would have dont it the similar to the 350z/g35 thing

i have lost all hope for a supra....as long as the IS is around
Yeah exactly. But the interesting thing from my perspective is that if they came out with a Supra Mark V, do you realize how many people would buy that? I mean, how many guys on the forums in the states or even europe would save up just for that car?

I have a Mark IV and its my fav car ever. When I sit in it, I feel like I'm in a cockpit of a Jet fighter. Plus everyone and their mother stares at it when I'm driving on the road here. I can upgrade it till I go bankrupt, theres no limit to it.

Truly the most amazing engine I have ever seen. The 2JZ-GTE
      12-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #65
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
hey check leftlanenews.com , they are trying to give Lexus an "F" dividion, similler to //M and //AMG

maybe the new is500 will be IS-F

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0