BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 911 4S or GTR

12-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #23
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Either or.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #24
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatatasFritas View Post
As an additional car to the M3, what is the thought on a used 991 911 4s vs a '15 or '16 BE Nissan GTR?

The 911 Turbo is the Porsche most frequently compared to the GTR given the power output and AWD and I haven't seen many comparisons between the tamer 911 and Godzilla.

Thanks
My money the 911 4s... its the better overall car, granted the GTR is Godzilla.. However, I have heard the running costs make a Porsche look like a bargain.

But if you want all out performance the GTR is hard to beat out of the two. But the interior/ride/ tech/ tranny in the daily might be a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #25
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Yuck. A Nissan badge?
      12-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #26
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

IMO the R35 BE is a good looking car and it is fast, but at the end of the day it is a heavy car. The 991 on the other hand is also fast but weighs much less. I would suggest getting a 991 C4S Targa! Always love seeing one on the road!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 02:56 AM   #27
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
Porsche.

Do you really want to admit to having Nissan keys in your pocket? Or would you rather say "Porsche"....just say it, I know you want to.
This! Well said!!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #28
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Porsche attracts women. GT-Rs will get you men.

I don't know what your preference is but I know what mine is.
      01-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #29
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
So many brand whores in here lol. There is no logical reason to get a Porsche CS over a GTR.. Unless you are after the badge. Who ever thinks the GTR is boring to drive CLEARLY has never driven one.

Go test drive both and see which one you like more.
There are quite a few on here (myself included) that have owned a GTR and various 911 variants and there is no comparison on driving dynamics. One is a boxy sledgehammer that makes many unpleasant noises and comes with a hodge podge interior. The other is a scalpel with fantastic build quality, glorious interior that makes sweet music....and is slightly slower on some tracks.

From a day to day driving perspective or fun weekend car to take to the track or carve up country roads and then take the wifey out to dinner in...there is no doubt which one I'd choose.

If I wanted to go to the drag strip, look for other clowns to street race and have 18-25 year old dudes masturbating over my car, then the GTR is the one you want.

You keep thinking it's only the badge.

Last edited by MPerformance211; 01-01-2016 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211
Quote:
So many brand whores in here lol. There is no logical reason to get a Porsche CS over a GTR.. Unless you are after the badge. Who ever thinks the GTR is boring to drive CLEARLY has never driven one.

Go test drive both and see which one you like more.
There are quite a few on here (myself included) that have owned a GTR and various 911 variants and there is no comparison on driving dynamics. One is a boxy sledgehammer that makes many unpleasant noises and comes with a hodge podge interior. The other is a scalpel with fantastic build quality, glorious interior that makes sweet music....and is slightly slower on some tracks.

From a day to day driving perspective or fun weekend car to take to the track or carve up country roads and then take the wifey out to dinner in...there is no doubt which one I'd choose.

If I wanted to go to the drag strip, look for other clowns to street race and have 18-25 year old dudes masturbating over my car, then the GTR is the one you want.

You keep thinking it's only the badge.
It is the badge, and you're crazy if you think badge has nothing to do with it. If the GTR had a Porsche badge on it, reviews would be way different because it's a Porsche.

The fact that there are people who think the Panamera is a good looking car shows the power of a badge.
      01-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #31
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

And I hope by "sweet music" you are talking about the sound system lol because Porsche isn't exactly a brand the comes to mind when thinking of nice exhaust/engine notes.. Except the GT3 and RS. Which shows the power of the brand again, any other car that sounded like a regular Carrera would not be making sweet music.

I'm not bashing on Porsche, I like their cars a lot but if it's between a Carrera S and GTR.. Most will say Carrera because it's a Porsche and the other is a Nissan.
      01-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #32
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

Sounds like you are compensating for something if you need a Porsche to attract broads. Not everyone is in search of the next gold digger.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #33
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
Quote:

Sounds like you are compensating for something if you need a Porsche to attract broads. Not everyone is in search of the next gold digger.
Let's be honest. The girl you are picking up from a car isn't a long term thing. Plus most guys who own a new 911 are most likely 30+ and married.

The 911 is more classy and professional car. Where the GTR is ever teenagers dream.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #34
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
It is the badge, and you're crazy if you think badge has nothing to do with it. If the GTR had a Porsche badge on it, reviews would be way different because it's a Porsche.
Not true at all. The big problem I have with the GTR is it's physical size. I like small toss-able packages. Yes the GTR is very quick, hides it's weight very well. But it still a big car. I would even take a Cayman S and the extra $30k+ over GTR. To be honest I would be more interested in the 370Z vs the GTR. It has nothing to do with a badge.

Quote:
And I hope by "sweet music" you are talking about the sound system lol because Porsche isn't exactly a brand the comes to mind when thinking of nice exhaust/engine notes.. Except the GT3 and RS. Which shows the power of the brand again, any other car that sounded like a regular Carrera would not be making sweet music.
Really...you don't think Cayman and Carrera sound really good with sport exhaust or an aftermarket exhaust. Actually some best NA music on the market today. Keep in mind the sweet music from the GT4 is being made by the Carrera S 3.8L.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 01-02-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #35
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Quote:
Not true at all. The big problem I have with the GTR is it's physical size. I like small toss-able packages. Yes the GTR is very quick, hides it's weight very well. But it still a big car. I would even take a Cayman S and the extra $30k+ over GTR. To be honest I would be more interested in the 370Z vs the GTR. It has nothing to do with a badge.

Quote:
Really...you don't think Cayman and Carrera sound really good with sport exhaust or an aftermarket exhaust. Actually some best NA music on the market today. Keep in mind the sweet music from the GT4 is being made by the Carrera S 3.8L.
Ok .... well if you have a big problem with the GTR then the post doesn't really concern you because it seems it'll never be an option for you to begin with. My post was for people who would actually be cross shopping a GTR.

And I've never heard the GT4 in person so I can't comment on it. As for the rest of your post .. NO, I don't think they sound good.

The thing is, people tend to feel what they are told they will feel. You give a group of people a ball, tell them before they hold it that most people who hold this ball report certain feelings.. Majority of the people will report having those feelings.. Give the same ball to another group without saying anything at all.. Not one person would report feeling anything. So when people drive a GTR after reading reviews about it.. They come out with the same views. Same for Porsche. So try to completely erase the car from your mind and isolate only the sound.. It's really not a good sounding exhaust. Not including the GT4 because I haven't heard it yet or the GT3 / RS because I can see the appeal of that sound.
      01-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
Southern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

The fact that you even need a certain kind of automobile to attract women says quite a bit about your shortcomings.

My vote is for the 911. Although I don't find the GTR's looks all that appealing, I do like its visceral appeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #37
617E90M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Porsche.

Do you really want to admit to having Nissan keys in your pocket? Or would you rather say "Porsche"....just say it, I know you want to.
Its not a Nissan Key, its a GTR key. Literally.

Go drive them both, my best friend was between quite a few cars, coming from a C63 with some work done to it. Drove almost everything out there, AMG-GT, huracan, Maserati, new C63, etc. He landed on a GTR for fun factor and saved a lot of money. I got to drive the car a few weeks ago, car has a LOT of presence, when you drive it, people notice. You have a nice M3 for the daily. Where are you located? If you are west coast and have access to canyons I would say GTR all the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #38
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern View Post
The fact that you even need a certain kind of automobile to attract women says quite a bit about your shortcomings.

My vote is for the 911. Although I don't find the GTR's looks all that appealing, I do like its visceral appeal.
He didn't say he bought one TO attract women. Women are just inherently attracted to the car.
The GTR was the biggest 18-25 year old cock magnet of any car I ever owned.

It is what it is
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #39
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok .... well if you have a big problem with the GTR then the post doesn't really concern you because it seems it'll never be an option for you to begin with. My post was for people who would actually be cross shopping a GTR.

And I've never heard the GT4 in person so I can't comment on it. As for the rest of your post .. NO, I don't think they sound good.

The thing is, people tend to feel what they are told they will feel. You give a group of people a ball, tell them before they hold it that most people who hold this ball report certain feelings.. Majority of the people will report having those feelings.. Give the same ball to another group without saying anything at all.. Not one person would report feeling anything. So when people drive a GTR after reading reviews about it.. They come out with the same views. Same for Porsche. So try to completely erase the car from your mind and isolate only the sound.. It's really not a good sounding exhaust. Not including the GT4 because I haven't heard it yet or the GT3 / RS because I can see the appeal of that sound.
In stock form the GT4 sounds amazing.

With Fabspeed this is orgasmic.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #40
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Orgasmic lol right..

I have to hear it in person. Without hearing a GT4 in person (stock and aftermarket) I really don't know how accurately the sound is coming across from that video.

In that video, interior shots sound good.. Exterior shots sound weak. GTR with aftermarket exhaust will make that video sound like a Tesla exhaust video.
      01-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #41
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Orgasmic lol right..

I have to hear it in person. Without hearing a GT4 in person (stock and aftermarket) I really don't know how accurately the sound is coming across from that video.

In that video, interior shots sound good.. Exterior shots sound weak. GTR with aftermarket exhaust will make that video sound like a Tesla exhaust video.
They are just two different sounds. FI vs NA. I have heard in person a GTR with full Armytrix(my opinion best exhaust for that car), it does sound very good.

911's are also no joke with a proper exhaust. A NA sound the GTR can't really replicate. My good friend has Fabspeed supersport on his 991 S, he is one loudest cars at my local track days. It sounds mean.

Here is just a non-S base 911 with Armytrix. Even their little 3.4L can sound damn good.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #42
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

I was thinking the same thing. "Admitting to having a Nissan key in your pocket". Yeah i would. It says GTR on it and destroys cars over £200k. I C4S would have trouble with a 435i. Lol. Either go Porsche Turbo or go elsewhere. My C4S was junk and felt like an overpriced 330i.

The C2 and C4S to me does nothing great.
Its fast but only as quick as an M cars baby brother
Its ok at handling but nowhere near an Mx5

So in turn what is it. Its a posers car for the guys that could afford GT or TT. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #43
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Orgasmic lol right..

Ummm..... no it wouldn't. My GTR had an HKS midpipe and an HKS Legamax exhaust and it did not sound anywhere near as good as the GT4 I posted. Tried to post a sound clip I have of my former GTR but can't get it to work.

Just for argument sake, even if the GTR happened to sound better, I'd never buy one over a GT4 based on aesthetics alone....not to mention the substantial difference in driving enjoyment, build quality, feel, et al that you get in the GT4.

Last edited by MPerformance211; 01-02-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #44
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
I was thinking the same thing. "Admitting to having a Nissan key in your pocket". Yeah i would. It says GTR on it and destroys cars over £200k. I C4S would have trouble with a 435i. Lol. Either go Porsche Turbo or go elsewhere. My C4S was junk and felt like an overpriced 330i.

The C2 and C4S to me does nothing great.
Its fast but only as quick as an M cars baby brother
Its ok at handling but nowhere near an Mx5

So in turn what is it. Its a posers car for the guys that could afford GT or TT. Sorry.
Some guys just prefer a NA powerplant. Honestly it is kinda dumb to say a 4S is a poser car and the owner couldn't afford a GT or TT. When it is very easy to option your 4S right past the cost of a GT3.

Most of your arguments are a moot point now anyways. As the 991.2 Carrera, S, 4S are now turbo charged.
Appreciate 0