BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos "Sport Luxury Sedan" shopping experience

05-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
ou95grad
Rep
Drives: Chevy Silverado

"Sport Luxury Sedan" shopping experience

Just thought I would share the experiences of a first-time “luxury sports sedan” shopper (yes, it is long).

I normally buy a new car about every four years. I also usually spend much of that time researching what I’m going to buy next time. I love cars, and love reading about cars, but my budget only allows for one-car-at-a-time.

I have purchased seven new vehicles since 1990, all GM. Four trucks, a TrailBlazer, as well as a ‘92 Camaro 3.1 liter beast, and a 1991 Beretta (you’ll show your age if you remember those). I’ve always had good luck with my vehicles, and purchased GM because I just liked what they made.

My most recent purchase was a 2011 crew cab 4x4 Chevy Silverado Z71. About three years into my ownership I decided that I was going to broaden my horizons in my search for my next vehicle. My truck has been great vehicle. However, I don’t haul or tow anything, and sometimes I get tired of driving something with the driving dynamics of a school bus.

A BMW was something thats always been kind of a “dream” purchase. When I saw that I could get into a three series for a similar (or even less) price as another truck, I thought I’d spread my wings a bit, and visit a BMW dealer. I’ve driven trucks and SUVs for so long, I thought it would be nice to have something sporty again, and something with four doors would lend some practicality.

The biggest issue for me about shopping for “luxury” brands is that I’m a good 65 miles away from the nearest metropolitan areas that have luxury car dealerships, so it’s not something that’s real convenient to do on a regular basis.
So, my quest begins with a visit to a BMW dealership in April of 2014. I have to say that seeing a whole lot of new BMWs is quite an experience. I went ahead and started checking out what would easily fit into my budget: a 320i xDrive. They had a handful of them and a very friendly salesman greeted me on the lot almost instantly. I told him I’d never driven a BMW before so he quickly offered me a test drive, and a few minutes later, we were off.

Of course, the salesman went along, and he actually drove first. It was one of the best test drives I’ve ever been on, as this salesman was rapidly hitting 60+mph through a residential area, taking corners at full speed. I was hooked. I was in the best-riding vehicle I’ve ever experienced. I took the wheel after a bit. The car felt very solid, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that it would take some getting used to being that low to the ground. The beemer felt closer to a go kart than my current vehicle. The drivetrain was smooth, but it was still evident that I was piloting a four cylinder (something that I had hoped I had sworn off forever, after driving for years in <100 hp four bangers).

I had the experience of visiting a BMW dealership pretty built up in my head, and it definitely wasn’t the world-changing experience that I had hoped for. But, it was a solid car (and a fairly nice dealership), and there really wasn’t anything I could point at that was terrible. After driving large domestic vehicles for so long, I was trying to recalibrate what a $40,000 vehicle should feel like. I have news for people, and this isn’t good or bad, but BMWs aren’t luxury cars. They’re good sports cars with four doors. There’s more luxury to be found in a loaded F-150 or Buick LaCrosse. I know I am in the minority here, but even expensive BMWs don’t feel like “luxury”, and I don’t mean that in a bad way, at all. I just find it interesting that BMW is always called the top luxury brand.

At this point, though, I wasn’t persuaded to pull out the checkbook, and told the guy I’d think about it. I even went back up a few weeks later and tried out a couple more (a 320i with M sport package and a 328), but still didn’t feel the overwhelming urge to make a change.

Fast forward several months (spring of ‘15), and I decided to check out a Lexus IS. After reading all the reviews, it looked like the IS might be the better three series. It was an IS 250, so the engine wasn’t the strongest, but I was really impressed with it. Where the three series felt delicate, the IS felt like you could take a baseball bat to any part (inside or outside), and it would hold up. Like it was formed from one solid piece of stock. I have to say, though, that the Lexus dealership experience, while the dealership itself is beautiful, was probably the most creepy. The really like to beat you over the head with the “luxury experience” sales tactics. They make you think your life will change after you buy a Lexus. They also offered the lowest price on my truck on trade. They seem to market themselves more on a luxury service provider, than a seller of cars.

A month later, I dropped by an Acura dealer to try out a TLX. I wasn’t expecting to even like it (and almost drove right past), but the dealer basically threw me the keys, so I thought it wouldn’t hurt. It was a SH-AWD tech model.

To be honest, if the magazines said that the TLX was the ultimate sports sedan, I would have believed it. It really felt the most like a four door sports car, even though that flies in the face of pretty much everyone’s experience. The drivetrain was so smooth and powerful. I also felt like it had the best interior. I thought it honestly had the “sportiest” feel so far. I could have literally, after two minutes, felt totally comfortable to terrorize hundreds of miles of freeways in that thing. In my opinion, it felt like a high tech hot rod dressed in a suit.

In July of last year, I went to try out a Q50...It was a 3.7 AWD premium (stickered ~$43k). This was the one I thought I’d really like. I checked one out at an auto show and liked that it was a bit larger than the competition.

I was completely let down by this car. If someone had told me I was driving a basic front wheel drive grocery getter, I would have believed it. There was absolutely nothing exciting about this car. I might be fast, and handle well, but you’d never know it.

Just before Christmas, I tried out another IS...a 300 AWD (non F-sport). I really, really liked this car. It stickered for about $43K. It feels just about 5% away in every dimension of being perfect (I’m 6’4”). While it was very solid, it still sometimes comes across as “just a small Toyota”, and I don’t know if I could drop $40K+ on one.

In late January of this year, I tried out a 2.0 AWD ATS. I KNEW I wouldn’t like this car, but this dealer is the closest to me, so I thought what the heck. I really, really liked this car. It was a corner-charging monster. It was a “luxury” package model. Very, very nice. CUE really didn’t bother me. The only thing was, that soon after I tried it out, I really didn’t “want” that car. There’s some intangible factor about it that just doesn’t make it desirable.

A couple weeks after that, I visited another BMW dealership. This was a new dealership, and it was beautiful. They were very friendly. I have to say that BMW is the lowest-pressure sales experience. They don’t bother you at all I tried out a ‘16 320i xDrive with the M sport package. This time around with the beemer, I was really let down. It definitely had a sporty feel, and, yes, of course, I could live with it. It was fun, and it has the decent back seat legroom. It just felt really cheap. I don’t know if I’ve gotten used to trying out luxury cars, or that they have cheapened them in the last couple years, but it felt like a $40,000 car made out of $20,000 worth of “stuff”.

Finally, in March, I tried out a new Camaro. I had come full circle. Back at my “home” dealership. I’ve been waiting on the ‘16 Camaro and have read the reports about it handling better than the beemer...I never would have guessed that would happen.

Anyway, this was a 2.0 8 speed auto unit. The power was impressive as was the handling. Unfortunately, again, this thing left virtually no impression with me. I really wasn’t fun to drive.

A week ago, I traveled to an Audi dealership, and sat in a ‘17 A4. Very impressive, but I didn’t get a test drive this time. I have a feeling it might be the current bullseye in the constantly “luxury sports sedan” moving target. I also visited another Acura dealer, and “kicked some tires”, but didn’t have the energy to go through the test drive process. They had a black ‘16 SH-AWD Advance on the lot. One of the best looking cars in existence, at any price.

My “luxury car” experience has been somewhat eye opening. No more salesmen rushing after me in a golf cart while they flick their half-smoked cigarette into the pavement just before they greet me. I don’t think the word “deal” has even been uttered. I’ve also enjoyed some great coffee, and even been offered cold bottles of water.

So, here I am, over two years into my search for a sports sedan, and still driving the good old ‘11 Chevy. The hunt is still on, and I feel like I’m back at square one. I’ve found that I do enjoy driving something close to the ground. I actually “feel” safer hunkered close to the ground slinking through traffic than I do in my truck. Full sized trucks are so big that you take up entire lanes, and you are always missing other vehicles by what feels like inches.

One advantage of a smaller car that I was looking forward to was gas mileage. However, they all take premium, and sometime over the last year premium has started running $.40 cents more per gallon than regular. I roughly figured that, in the Lexus (it has the worse mileage that I’ve found in this segment) would actually cost me more than my full-sized V8 crew cab 4x4 truck.

I’m still not sure that any of them have been more “fun” than flat-footing the 5.3 in my truck and hearing it impersonating a speed boat at 5,000 RPM. I attribute my comfortableness with my big truck with having been raised in the land yachts of the ‘70s. Actually, I attribute the sales of full sized trucks and SUVs to that. People are reliving their youth. In a couple generations, I don’t think people will care if their cars are powered by butterflies holding hands.
Anyway, thanks for reading. The waters have been “muddied”, and yet my interest in finding a new car hasn’t dwindled. In five years, I could still be driving my truck, or the mood may strike and I could bring home a new (BMW, Lexus, Acura, Audi) tomorrow.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Cliff notes man no one reads
Appreciate 4
      05-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Good for you for thoroughly exploring all your options. It must be so exciting!

Have you tried anything other than a 320 when you visit the BMW dealership? You could just explore the different models online. Although your concerns about build quality won't necessarily change by trying another model.

You could also explore CPO cars, used cars with a warranty, instead of new. This will allow you access to even more models.
      05-02-2016, 02:22 AM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I don't think bmw's benchmark for "luxury" rides on the 320x. I totally agree on your points about the 3er as I feel it's probably the worst 3er bmw has ever put out but market has changed and I'm a bit old school.

Are you only searching for New cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:37 AM   #5
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Good luck with whatever you go with. I had my eye on the M235i since 2014 and once I test drove it, I knew it was the car for me. Until a M2 xdrive is announced?
      05-02-2016, 03:59 AM   #6
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy
Good luck with whatever you go with. I had my eye on the M235i since 2014 and once I test drove it, I knew it was the car for me. Until a M2 xdrive is announced?
Why would they make an all wheels drive M2?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou95grad View Post
After driving large domestic vehicles for so long, I was trying to recalibrate what a $40,000 vehicle should feel like. I have news for people, and this isn’t good or bad, but BMWs aren’t luxury cars. They’re good sports cars with four doors. There’s more luxury to be found in a loaded F-150 or Buick LaCrosse. I know I am in the minority here, but even expensive BMWs don’t feel like “luxury”, and I don’t mean that in a bad way, at all. I just find it interesting that BMW is always called the top luxury brand.
You've misunderstood what is meant by "luxury" in the context of automotive metrics. It is not about a vehicle's appointments, material quality, or even build quality. It is about vehicle segmentation and selling price. A Buick Lacrosse can't be sold for as much as a comparably sized, comparably appointed, comparably powered BMW or Lexus. If it could - make no mistake about it - GM would be doing just that. The gulf between the two buying audiences is wide enough for the industry to break the two types of products into separate categories. In today's world, the reason for this disparity, by the way, is due almost solely to brand equity and nothing else. Although it used to be due in large part to those other qualities I mention earlier and also driving dynamics, that gap has largely been closed.

So if you go shopping for a new vehicle, and brand name or brand cache' is not high on your priority list, it is best to avoid those brands for which you are being charged a premium for the name itself.

Of course, not every luxury vehicle has a non-luxury analog. Small (or at last small-ish) high-performance sedans are one category where this applies. For example, there is no such thing as a small, non-luxury sedan with 400hp+. Although there are plenty of coupes (pony cars) that fit that description, incidentally. Anyway, in cases like this, if you want to play, you have to pay. There's no way around the "BMW tax". If you go easy on the gadgets, though, you can at least keep the transaction price from creeping up into the realm of insanity-land.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

What are your priorities in your next vehicle? List them in order, and maybe we can suggest something you may have missed or not thought of.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Cliff notes man no one reads
Sure we do, especially when properly written.

BimmerRookie enjoy the journey to your next car.
I enjoyed reading about your experience so far.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Sure we do, especially when properly written.

BimmerRookie enjoy the journey to your next car.
I enjoyed reading about your experience so far.
Ah thanks! I'm fairly settled on my next choice, however, I'm having a tough time letting go of that S65!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Read the whole thing, and it was very refreshing hearing someone who is new to the segment and unbiased give good feedback on their experiences.

The new A4 seems really solid, so I would recommend giving it a test drive. Also, as another poster said, I would advise considering a late model CPO to open up some options that you haven't yet tried- 335i, S4, etc.

Either way, good luck on your search.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #12
ou95grad
Rep
Drives: Chevy Silverado

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to post the experience(s) of someone diving into the entry luxury arena that has only driven something with a ladder frame since 1996. Also was hoping for some ideas/tips from some of you that have much more experience with these types of vehicles. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Agree 1,000% re BMW interiors, they really need to sort it out, the knobs and such look very 2004.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I would give another vote to look at the CPO options. You get way more bang for the buck and the warranty on them is incredible.

Personally, I only briefly gave any thought to a 320. I agree with your statement that BMW is more sport than luxury, but with the de-tuned engine in the 320 you are missing a lot of the sport and get even less luxury than a 328.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot
I would give another vote to look at the CPO options. You get way more bang for the buck and the warranty on them is incredible.

Personally, I only briefly gave any thought to a 320. I agree with your statement that BMW is more sport than luxury, but with the de-tuned engine in the 320 you are missing a lot of the sport and get even less luxury than a 328.
Check exec demos if you are looking CPO. Can buy or lease often at great discount. For example I just looked at a fully loaded 335 GT offered at $15k under MSRP, 2015 with 4K miles on it.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Try the Chevy SS. You can get them for 10k under MSRP and for $40k you'll have a beast of a daily driver without leaving your local Chevy dealer. The car has received amazing reviews but nobody is buying them, they can be had with a manual, and they all come fully loaded (only options are trans and moon roof). My local dealer has one on their front lawn for $38k... new... LS3... burbles... win.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Buddy628
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Msport, MB GLK250

Great post but since your shopping try the Subaru WRX or the new Mustang both very fun cars with some surprisingly great qualities. WRX's resale is hard to beat, its a blast to drive, but mpg is just ok. Mustang is really fun especially the GT and the truck space is enormous, 3 sets of golf clubs with ease in the trunk. I love demo'ing cars
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Agree CPO
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #19
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Agree CPO. Especially now, in the segment you're looking at, initial depreciation is enormous. I just finished shopping the next level up (5 series and equivalents) and was amazed at what I could get for the money. Not everyone wants a used car, I know. But right now it seems as though just about nobody wants a used luxury sedan, 'sports' or otherwise. It's a buyer's market.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
BLASPHEMY!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
BLASPHEMY!!!
xdrive is coming to some of the M cars.
      05-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #22
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou95grad View Post

1991 Beretta (you’ll show your age if you remember those).
I had a black Beretta GTZ 5mt. Loved that car!
Appreciate 0