BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Cadillac CT4-V

06-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferizzo View Post
Haha...probably not! I liked working with Johan and agreed with his overall vision (not everything per se) and could see why he was frustrated. I think he needed more time and he could have turned Cadillac around. He helped with the growth in China and was now more focused on the US before his ouster. oh well.
From what he said about EVs and autonomous driving, he'd have been at odds with Barra. She seems to be banking the company on go full EV with autonomous driving services right on the heels. She's bloated GM's debt back to up to $100M (maybe she thinks Uncle Sam will do another bailout). I think GM figured out with the EV1 that electric, while it sounds great, is not a marketable concept in the larger view. Musk has been driving the disruption based on a political view, which is never a good thing IMO. I think de Nysschen is spot on about the timing of Level 5 autonomy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Although many people believe the ATS-V and CTS-V have better handling than most of their counterparts, What I said really not related to handling.
Understood. Feel is not all related to handling. I've not driven an M car other than the original E30 M3, nor have I driven either V-series Cadillac, but I've driven plenty of BMW 3 series cars and several ATS and CTS, and the F30 marked a clear change in direction of the 3-series chassis. I'll soon drive the G20 to get an opinion of it, but IMO, BMW has so diluted its portfolio to develop a chassis-shared spectrum of vehicles, that it no longer can make a focused chassis. I think that the electronic stability controls now available to the industry allow dumbing down of the chassis because the security of the chassis stability is now in the software rather than the hardware. That change has lost the nuance that was present in the legacy 3-series.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #47
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Efthreeoh Did you get the CT4-V? Is your 3er at 400k miles?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Efthreeoh Did you get the CT4-V? Is your 3er at 400k miles?
I picked up a '05 E46 Convertible with just 100,000 miles on it in September 2019. It was an unexpected buy that a work mate dropped on me when he bought an almost-new Miata. He gave it to me for $3,000, which is what CarMax offered him for it; and it was worth at least $6,500, so I couldn't pass it up. It's loaded too, with the winter package and sport package. I've dropped about $2K into it so far to get it up to snuff. Half of that was for a OE wind blocker LOL, but it extends top down driving by 15 deg. at least. Since Sept. 2019 the E46 has kept 10,000 miles each off the E90 and Z4, which is why the E90 is not yet at 400,000.

Anyway, long story, but I never had real plans to buy a CTV4. The E90 is at 397,300 and has fresh brakes in the rear. Along with the E46 and Z4, I'm pretty much set with cars (as long as they keep making gas and let old codgers like me drive among the self-driving EVs - LOL). The New Bronco will be my last new car purchase I'd bet. The sport sedan is pretty much dead for me once manufacturers start dropping the manual transmission from them. I have no interest in a ICE car with an automatic transmission.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50