BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 135i vs. Cayman

11-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
gimme135
Remember
Rep
Drives:

It's really too bad that everybody else in this discussion is comparing the Cayman S with the 135i. I'm comparing just the regular Cayman (non-S), with reasoning already stated.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #24
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

If you don't need the backseat, then why not look at the M Coupe instead? They can be had for a great price with rebates and compete very well with a Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #25
gimme135
Remember
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
If you don't need the backseat, then why not look at the M Coupe instead? They can be had for a great price with rebates and compete very well with a Cayman.
In my opinion, the M Coupe is ugly as crap.

Although the two -- 135i and Cayman -- each have a different form factor, they both seem to possess that indescribable "true to itself" design. It's the same reason why I gravitated towards the 1-series after the E92 was unveiled.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #26
Johncawt
Registered
Rep
Drives:

My Money

Interesting to see this thread, I had reached the same conclusion. I firmly believe that a car purchase is a very personal decision with no absolute right and wrong. (Hey, someones gonna have to buy those Pontiac Aztecs) A friend who used to sell sports cars at a shop in Phila in the 60's used to put it another way "there's an ass for every seat"

Anyway, my personal interest is for the feeling and expierience of the car not just the numbers. And the Porsche does it for me more than any sports sedan I have ever driven. I don't tend to want anything on the car that does not make it go, stop, or handle but even so with the colors I wanted on the car requiring leather and the sports package I expect the 135 will be pushing 40K. Given this you are only 8K from the base Cayman, which has everything I want, and for me the choice is clear. Monday my deposit is moving across town to Holbert's. (unless I totaly lose my mind and decide to finally get an Elise) I do not look at anyone who makes another choice as having done wrong (witness the current stable at our house) so have fun with whatever choice you all make and enjoy!

BTW for those who have been following sports cars for a while 50's and 60's racing legend Bob Holbert passed away this week. There will be a memorial for him at the shop in Warrington, PA on Sunday the 25th at 4:00 , I think, please confirm. Bob was the father of a later racer, Al, and was inducted into the Sebring hall of fame in 2004, holding a record 6 class wins there. He would probably be a household name today if he had not quit racing to tend to his car dealership in the 60's. He ran the first Porsche dealership in the US starting in 1950 and sold VW's from '55.

325 IX
Mini S
MG Midget
'67 Land Rover
Model A Roadster

(Harley Sportster and BMW Sidecar Rig)
Appreciate 0