BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos '01 530i Problems..

09-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

'01 530i Problems..

I think my front control arms need replacing, correct me if i'm wrong.

Car pulls both left and right depending on what it feels like doing at the time. If its pulling right a little bit, I can shake the steering wheel slightly to the left repeatedly to get it to then pull left. On some days it's perfect and doesn't pull at all. When braking it seems to pull significantly as well.

When turning it feels loose, as if the wheels are slipping one way or another. It feels as though i'm having to turn the wheel more than normal when pulling out of my driveway to make a 90 degree turn.

When pulling up to a stop sign there will be a hole in the road. I usually hit it with the right tire going at a very slow speed and braking. My tire will start to rapidly shake up and down for about 2-3 seconds and then stop, as if i ran over several large rocks or some small speed bumps. It's a really fast shake that stops if i let off the brakes and then brake again.

Any idea on what the problem is before I take it to the dealer to have them check it out?
Any recommendations?
      09-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Some of those sound like control arm issues, especially the pulling. If it's causing camber they'll most likely need replacing. I'd probably take a look at the shocks and bushings too. Control arms & bushings seem to average 120k life span, which your '01 could be around (??).
      09-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Front wheels look fine, the back have a noticeable negative camber but I believe that is how they should be.

It should only have 61k miles on it.

Did I mention the steering wheel seems to have a bit of play.
I can turn it small amounts with little to no effect.
When straightening out my wheels after i've parked it feels like it takes more turning than it should. I also can't feel the wheels move like I could in my truck.

So what should I be looking for when checking the control arms, shocks, and bushings??