BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 135ti coming state side.

03-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
mike fab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe (sold)

Hey, lets stay grounded. As much as I love my 335, it does weight basically the same as my old 1997 5 series...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
I gave up waiting for the 1 Series and decided to just go for a 3 since it's only a little oversized for my needs. Looks like they're still not bringing the model I want--the five-door hatch. Oh well. Guess I'll be spared some buyer's remorse...for now

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #25
Paul@Austin
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

nice clip!

I can smell the burnt rubber from here!!! :rocks:

a 335 engine in a 1 series frame is like a set of DD's on a 4 foot 10 inch chick...somethings just not right about it!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #26
aris214
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 1993 325i

wont this interfere with ///M coupe sales?
      03-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #27
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Sorry, you are just talking absolute cock!!

We had a 535d, 120d M-Sport and a Mini at the same time, the 1er is not a great deal smaller inside than the 5er, the mini is far smaller than the 1er.
As I said I now have a 120d M-Sport and an E91 M-Sport and the interior is about the same size wise.

Where are you getting all this info from??
I think that you and your buddy Lost Cosmonaut both need to go check yourselves and your senses....Are f8ckingf insane???? or you are just stupid as hell....

Here are some news for you my friends. The MINI is bigger than a 1er!!! Go do a comparo on them and tou will see....Let the numbers speak

Ohh yeah, and dont tell me that the 1er is bigger than the MINI because it has more room in the back (look at the dimensions for the front, because if you think that you will ever be able to sit comfy in the back of a 1er - you really need prof. help)
      03-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
Rawhyde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW

Well, neither may be right, both both are mighty damn cool!!

BMW will most likely do something to weaken this car. A 135i (trunk) coupe would really bite into 335i sales. If they don't make it hideous and keep the engine at full power, I'll seriously think about it.

Rawhyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Austin View Post
I can smell the burnt rubber from here!!! :rocks:

a 335 engine in a 1 series frame is like a set of DD's on a 4 foot 10 inch chick...somethings just not right about it!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #29
Evan@Creative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A work in progress

I'd buy one as a daily driver since parking here at the beach sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #30
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The 1 series' rear end is beautiful.
      03-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #31
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post

BMW will most likely do something to weaken this car. A 135i (trunk) coupe would really bite into 335i sales. If they don't make it hideous and keep the engine at full power, I'll seriously think about it.

Rawhyde

The 1er is smaller and not as luxurious as the 3 coupe. Not going to cannibalize sales at all. 1er as I understand it is mainly intended to bring people into the brand.

As enthusiasts, we may well like a more nimble car with a better power to weight ratio (though it's not going to be a night and day difference), but many many BMW buyers (unfortunately) don't care, as a lot of them think of the luxury aspects of the car. Further, I honestly don't know how many Americans are going to like the idea of getting into an even smaller BMW. Hell, I don't know how many Americans can fit into a smaller BMW...

Like the 318ti, the 1 series is a risky proposition in this country because Americans have a somewhat well defined (albeit incorrect) notion about what a BMW is (you know, a yuppie car) and the 1er, like the 318ti before it, doesn't totally fit the public 'mold'. This is of course why BMW won't bring the hatch here again.

The price to power to practicality/looks ratio has to be good, especially considering how BMW's are equipped as base models here in the US. The 318ti's problem in my opinion was that it was under powered and too expensive. It also looked weird to boot (again, Americans don't really like hatches). Hence it failed. Now it seems BMW's fixed two of the three problems. If the price is right, I think the car might fly, but it's never going to take anything away from the 3's. Mini might be another matter however.

I will agree with you wholeheartedly on one thing though. DD's on a 4'10" chick are damn cool!

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener

Last edited by ages944; 03-23-2007 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #32
Rawhyde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW

You made some good points, but I feel like that underpowered strange looking 318ti ADDED to the yuppie myth. As you said, it was slow, underpowered, overpriced, and strange looking. Those are all polite ways to say that there's really no good reason to buy one (for the enthusiast anyway). If the 135i has the full power engine, and is available in a non-hatchback body style, it'll attract some enthusiasts (well, it'll attract THIS ONE anyway). Over 300 HP in something the size of a Cavalier with RWD and a good looking body is going to be a cool car.

I intend to get a 335i coupe, but if this thing materializes and BMW doesn't sabotage it with a weak ass engine, a manditory automatic, or other such nonsense; I'll give it very serious consideration.

I hate FWD and don't care much for hatchbacks, but one spirited drive in a Cooper S made me buy a Cooper S with the JCW engine kit! In spite of my prejudices, I have a little bit of an open mind. Initially, I wanted a 330Ci, but after driving a MINI, the 330Ci (although a great car) just didn't have the fun for the dollar quotient to beat out the MINI. If there was any such thing as a 335 at that time, I most likely would have bought one.

Rawhyde

Rawhyde
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post

- LC
Beautiful. Why can't they make another car like this? How did their top of the line performance car go from this to the current M6 over the last 25 years?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #34
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

lol, don't get me wrong. I can't wait for 1er to get here. Especially the 135i manual... But I, like many of us on this board are BMW enthusiasts, so we're a bit um biased (enlightened).

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #35
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
The 1er is smaller and not as luxurious as the 3 coupe. Not going to cannibalize sales at all. 1er as I understand it is mainly intended to bring people into the brand.

As enthusiasts, we may well like a more nimble car with a better power to weight ratio (though it's not going to be a night and day difference), but many many BMW buyers (unfortunately) don't care, as a lot of them think of the luxury aspects of the car. Further, I honestly don't know how many Americans are going to like the idea of getting into an even smaller BMW. Hell, I don't know how many Americans can fit into a smaller BMW...

Like the 318ti, the 1 series is a risky proposition in this country because Americans have a somewhat well defined (albeit incorrect) notion about what a BMW is (you know, a yuppie car) and the 1er, like the 318ti before it, doesn't totally fit the public 'mold'. This is of course why BMW won't bring the hatch here again.

The price to power to practicality/looks ratio has to be good, especially considering how BMW's are equipped as base models here in the US. The 318ti's problem in my opinion was that it was under powered and too expensive. It also looked weird to boot (again, Americans don't really like hatches). Hence it failed. Now it seems BMW's fixed two of the three problems. If the price is right, I think the car might fly, but it's never going to take anything away from the 3's. Mini might be another matter however.

I will agree with you wholeheartedly on one thing though. DD's on a 4'10" chick are damn cool!
VW has been working for years to build it's image. The market is pretty bare for compact sports-luxury cars. The GTI and A3 seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. The 1er would be pretty much the same thing, just BMW-style. A cheaper BMW means more people who dream about buying a BMW but can't afford a 3er would probably end up buying a GTI or A3. Bringing over the 1er means BMW can get in on some of the action they're giving away to VAG.

Lightweight coupe with the N54... Some people are starting to make connections to the old 2002 Turbo. This could be a GOOD thing. BMW sees that and that's why the 1er is on it's way.

- LC
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #36
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
Beautiful. Why can't they make another car like this? How did their top of the line performance car go from this to the current M6 over the last 25 years?
I guess they do have a new Z Supercar on the way, called the Z9 or Z10. All it is right now is some photoshops of a Murciélago roadster with the double kidneys and some roundels Nothing as beautiful and as classic as the M1, though.

I'd like to see the 8er brought back as a nice super-sports GT from BMW. The 6er doesn't quite cut it IMO.

- LC
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #37
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

check this out:

850 HP mid engine monster.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post
VW has been working for years to build it's image. The market is pretty bare for compact sports-luxury cars. The GTI and A3 seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. The 1er would be pretty much the same thing, just BMW-style. A cheaper BMW means more people who dream about buying a BMW but can't afford a 3er would probably end up buying a GTI or A3. Bringing over the 1er means BMW can get in on some of the action they're giving away to VAG.

Lightweight coupe with the N54... Some people are starting to make connections to the old 2002 Turbo. This could be a GOOD thing. BMW sees that and that's why the 1er is on it's way.

- LC
Yeah, I agree that that's that ideal, but I just don't know that the reality will pan out as such.

The 1er uses the same platform as the 3 afik (I'm sure Fleet can correct me on this if I'm wrong), so it's not going to be all that much lighter than an E90. This of course won't mean it's going to be a slow car, but I just doubt it's going to be the 2002 successor that many (myself included) are hoping for. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Second, while I admittedly haven't seen sales figures for the A3, I also haven't seen many on the road, (like exactly two). Hell, I actually see Maseratis more often (not joking), and I don't live in an especially ritzy area. The GTI I definitely see more of, but again I don't know how the two are supposed to compete. On paper maybe sure, but not so much in the mind of the general public. In either case, it seems a relatively safe bet that the Bimmer would cost more than the GTI anyway.

But I guess there's my point again. I simply think that they need to price this car correctly. It's not really in a traditional market segment for BMW (neither is the Audi... I mean am I the only one who thinks an A3 is just a bit weird?), so they need to keep the price of the car from being too premium. To what extent they can do that without cheapening the brand image too much is thankfully not for me to decide.

Whatever the case, I can't wait for the car to get here.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #39
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post

Rawhyde
i'm not so sure it really would. people who like sedans are still going to buy the 3 series, especially if they can afford it, as opposed to the 1 series.

if they price the 1 series lower they can reach out to a significant amount of new buyers in the 28k-40k price range as opposed to 40k-60k like the 3 series is now..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #40
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
check this out:

850 HP mid engine monster.
thats amazing
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #41
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
because if you think that you will ever be able to sit comfy in the back of a 1er - you really need prof. help)
My sister in law has a 120i, and a couple of my friends have 130i

i am 6'2" and 230 pounds and I felt very comfortable in the 120i back seat, even after a 4 hour trip last week.
Guy in front of me was 6'4" and friend next to me was the same size as me
      03-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #42
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
I think that you and your buddy Lost Cosmonaut both need to go check yourselves and your senses....Are f8ckingf insane???? or you are just stupid as hell....
Sorry, that first line completely lost me, I can see plenty of English words in there but it still doesn't make much sense to me??
It must be me who is stupid!!

Quote:
Here are some news for you my friends. The MINI is bigger than a 1er!!! Go do a comparo on them and tou will see....Let the numbers speak
Your grammer is definitely getting better, and I did understand that sentence, so first of all well done, keep practising and you will soon get the grasp of speech. I think you forgot to post the numbers though?

Quote:
Ohh yeah, and dont tell me that the 1er is bigger than the MINI because it has more room in the back (look at the dimensions for the front, because if you think that you will ever be able to sit comfy in the back of a 1er - you really need prof. help)

Like I said, I own a 1 series, I can tell you now that sitting in the back is no problem at all, but more importantly when you are driving there is hardly any difference between this and a 3er.
I also owned, until a couple of months back, an 05 mini, and that was small and cramped, so please don't tell me I am 'fecking insane' for giving you my opinion, at least my experience comes from owning these cars. What is it you drive?? Have you owned the 3er, 1er and the Mini??
The internet is just full of people who spurt out shite like it is fact, and that is how you come across I am afraid, if you own all these cars then fair enough, but say so cause then you are really bringing something to the table.

I am sure you will come back with a really thought out and intellectual retort, which I will look forward to. All in good spirits eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 04:42 AM   #43
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
My sister in law has a 120i, and a couple of my friends have 130i

i am 6'2" and 230 pounds and I felt very comfortable in the 120i back seat, even after a 4 hour trip last week.
Guy in front of me was 6'4" and friend next to me was the same size as me
I am the same, I sat in the back of ours for nearly 5 hours and was fine.

But the point is it is such a good car to drive, the steering feels more like my M3 CSL than any other BMW available at the moment, although not tried the facelift with the new electronic steering, and the way the thing handles is fantatsic fun.

Alot of the UK guys have said they would go for an M1 (or whatever it gets called) over the new M3, and with BMW putting the new M3 out at €99,000 compared €79,000 for the E46 M3 to try and make it more exclusive and a little more hardcore this time round, there is definitely a gap in there for a M version of the E87.
BMW have said that they want to bring back the fun of the 2002 with the new 1er coupe, I say bring it on!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #44
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Are you guys insane??? I sat in the back of a e90 335 and I felt crammed. How the h3ck will I feel any better in a 1er???? Oh, I forgot I am about 6'2"....

And please don`t comment on my grammer, before you get yours straight. Also, you need to start reading the posts more carefully, because if you read mine, you would have known that I am not going to post any numbers for your lazy a$$. Here is what you should have read: "Go do a comparo on them and tou will see....Let the numbers speak" Which I am going to translate to you in simple words: After you compare them, you will be able to see the numbers with your own eyes...