BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #661
mc-m3
Private
168
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

The biggest hassle was the grease on my hands. Need to pack a small rag and a couple of those finger wiping towelettes they give you when you order ribs.
Clean your Chain

your chain shouldn't be a black gooey mess.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #662
Rayscott
Major
365
Rep
1,156
Posts

Drives: BMW 228ix
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lewes DE

iTrader: (0)

Anyone interested in buying a Trek Domane Series 6 (best CF) with Aeolus CF wheels. 54 CM 6800 Ultegra Di2 componentry 50/34 11/32 gearing. Dk. blue, 3 years old excellent condition. Pd. 8K selling for 3200. I don't know how to post pics but will send to anyone interested. Ray
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      08-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #663
Rayscott
Major
365
Rep
1,156
Posts

Drives: BMW 228ix
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lewes DE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Anyone interested in buying a Trek Domane Series 6 (best CF) with Aeolus CF wheels. 54 CM 6800 Ultegra Di2 componentry 50/34 11/32 gearing. Dk. blue, 3 years old excellent condition. Pd. 8K selling for 3200. I don't know how to post pics but will send to anyone interested. Ray
Price reduced to $2300 for a top of the line CF Domane. Original cost 8K
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #664
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Wife did Ironman Copenhagen a few weeks ago. Was blown away by the bike culture there. Pretty awesome.

__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 1
wdb2897.50
      09-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #665
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

A cyclist was struck and killed by a car right near my house last night. Same road I ride almost every trip. A guy my age, too. This was early evening, but still not too dark. He had no lights and dark clothing and was crossing a divided 55MPH highway and apparently didn't see the oncoming traffic and rode right in front of a car. The guy driving the car was also my age and said he didn't see the biker until it was too late to stop. I heard the life-flight chopper and sirens right before we went out for our walk and I was thinking that someone is having a bad day. Now I'm wondering if I know the rider. No names released yet.

Serious bummer. Be safe out there, folks. Lights don't weigh that much.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka5952.00
wdb2897.50
      09-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #666
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
A cyclist was struck and killed by a car right near my house last night. Same road I ride almost every trip. A guy my age, too. This was early evening, but still not too dark. He had no lights and dark clothing and was crossing a divided 55MPH highway and apparently didn't see the oncoming traffic and rode right in front of a car. The guy driving the car was also my age and said he didn't see the biker until it was too late to stop. I heard the life-flight chopper and sirens right before we went out for our walk and I was thinking that someone is having a bad day. Now I'm wondering if I know the rider. No names released yet.

Serious bummer. Be safe out there, folks. Lights don't weigh that much.
That stinks. Never good to hear that.

Hi-Vis is the name of the game. There are only 5 or 6 people in the country who might aim for you. If you can get the rest to see you, you'll generally be ok.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #667
mc-m3
Private
168
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
That stinks. Never good to hear that.

Hi-Vis is the name of the game. There are only 5 or 6 people in the country who might aim for you. If you can get the rest to see you, you'll generally be ok.
+1
I also use very bright lights front and rear. Most of the lights I see around here are pretty useless doing the day. My rear light can be seen from nearly a mile away in daylight.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #668
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
32736
Rep
17,268
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
That stinks. Never good to hear that.

Hi-Vis is the name of the game. There are only 5 or 6 people in the country who might aim for you. If you can get the rest to see you, you'll generally be ok.
Check this out my friend => *17-09-2017 Iowa (USA) IOWA CITY - Jingle Cross*

The USA-UCI cyclocross => http://www.jinglecross2.com/?id=96pr...rofile=default

Of course like usual the Belgians will rule again !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #669
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Woof. Zonked on my ride today. I had a stop planned and pushed it until I got there, but I was way overdue by then. I couldn't eat any of the trail mix I brought along because my hands were shaking too badly to get them in the bag or even grab a piece of the mix. I sat down in the shade and was finally able to eat the trail mix and have some water. 10 minutes later I was fine and went on my way, but lesson learned. Don't push it when you feel you need a break.

The trail mix is from Aldi. It's called Tropical Trail Mix and it's mostly dried fruit and not many nuts, which I prefer. Decent amount of carbs without having to eat much of the mix. And it doesn't leave me thirsty like a Clif bar. Tastes better, too.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #670
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
32736
Rep
17,268
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Peter Sagan....Three in a row !
Attached Images
 
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #671
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Woof. Zonked on my ride today. I had a stop planned and pushed it until I got there, but I was way overdue by then. I couldn't eat any of the trail mix I brought along because my hands were shaking too badly to get them in the bag or even grab a piece of the mix. I sat down in the shade and was finally able to eat the trail mix and have some water. 10 minutes later I was fine and went on my way, but lesson learned. Don't push it when you feel you need a break.

The trail mix is from Aldi. It's called Tropical Trail Mix and it's mostly dried fruit and not many nuts, which I prefer. Decent amount of carbs without having to eat much of the mix. And it doesn't leave me thirsty like a Clif bar. Tastes better, too.
Eating is part of cycling, gotta do it. Nuts are great because of the fat content. Your body turns that to energy quickly and it tends to last longer than just carbs alone.

But you'll be good no matter what you eat so long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. That goes for hydration too. Rule of thumb for a decent intensity ride is 300cal per hour. I do think that's for endurance rides of 4 to 5 hours or longer.

Not only do i eat more on longer rides, but i eat more prior and more per hour. For a 2 hour ride, i eat about 200 cal of carbs and fat about 10 min before riding. Then at least 240 cal during the ride. I generally burn 900 - 1100 cal during a 2 hour ride.

For a 5 hour ride i eat about 350 cal of carbs and fat about 20 min before riding, then about 360 cal per hour. I generally burn 2600 - 3000 cal in a five hour ride.

For the most part you can get away with eating less on shorter ride but on longer ride you really need the fuel to keep you going. Either way, consistently fueling yourself will keep you feeling good.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 1
M_Six6556.50
      09-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #672
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Eating is part of cycling, gotta do it. Nuts are great because of the fat content. Your body turns that to energy quickly and it tends to last longer than just carbs alone.

But you'll be good no matter what you eat so long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. That goes for hydration too. Rule of thumb for a decent intensity ride is 300cal per hour. I do think that's for endurance rides of 4 to 5 hours or longer.

Not only do i eat more on longer rides, but i eat more prior and more per hour. For a 2 hour ride, i eat about 200 cal of carbs and fat about 10 min before riding. Then at least 240 cal during the ride. I generally burn 900 - 1100 cal during a 2 hour ride.

For a 5 hour ride i eat about 350 cal of carbs and fat about 20 min before riding, then about 360 cal per hour. I generally burn 2600 - 3000 cal in a five hour ride.

For the most part you can get away with eating less on shorter ride but on longer ride you really need the fuel to keep you going. Either way, consistently fueling yourself will keep you feeling good.
My screwup today was a light breakfast. Just a small bowl of cereal and coffee about an hour before the ride. I should have had more prior to leaving. Another lesson learned. And here I've been watching vids and reading up on cycling nutrition, then I go out and blow it the first ride afterward. Doh!
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #673
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My screwup today was a light breakfast. Just a small bowl of cereal and coffee about an hour before the ride. I should have had more prior to leaving. Another lesson learned. And here I've been watching vids and reading up on cycling nutrition, then I go out and blow it the first ride afterward. Doh!
Lol, consuming information doesn't count.

I eat breakfast about 1 hour before riding. Usually a banana and 20oz of electrolyte fluids. Then have 200 to 350cal before riding.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #674
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
2898
Rep
3,483
Posts

Drives: '07 E86, '07 E93, '02 996
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

When I was doing the randonneur stuff the hardest part for me was consuming enough calories. We couldn't rely on power bars or any other planned or carried food source because the rides were too long for that. (I tried to keep a gel pack or similar on hand in case of emergency but wasn't always able to.) I went through a lengthy process of finding out what my body reacted best to out of the available nutrition sources. I had been following the mantra at the time of carbs, carbs, carbs, and I suffered, suffered, suffered; it just wasn't working for me. I started thinking that maybe my digestive system simply wasn't up to the task. It turned out that my body wanted a considerably higher protein content than was fashionable at the time. Once I figured that out I pretty much stopped bonking.

Moral of the story: educate yourself of course, but most of all listen to what your body tells you.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #675
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
When I was doing the randonneur stuff the hardest part for me was consuming enough calories. We couldn't rely on power bars or any other planned or carried food source because the rides were too long for that. (I tried to keep a gel pack or similar on hand in case of emergency but wasn't always able to.) I went through a lengthy process of finding out what my body reacted best to out of the available nutrition sources. I had been following the mantra at the time of carbs, carbs, carbs, and I suffered, suffered, suffered; it just wasn't working for me. I started thinking that maybe my digestive system simply wasn't up to the task. It turned out that my body wanted a considerably higher protein content than was fashionable at the time. Once I figured that out I pretty much stopped bonking.

Moral of the story: educate yourself of course, but most of all listen to what your body tells you.
This is sooo true. Everyone is different. I can't eat high protein when riding. Abut a friend of mine chows on meat and cheese before rides and during stops. Hell, i know a guy who eats BK Whoppers during full distance Ironman races. But it takes me an hour or so to get back to form after eating a meat sandwich during a stop on a long ride. And for some reason, eggs seem to be the best protein source for me, where as some people will vomit if consuming eggs while riding. Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on pressed cuban bread works just fine for me as a lunch stop sandwich while riding.

Though when it comes to 1 to 2 hour rides, just about everything works ok for me. Then it just depends on intensity. Higher the intensity for me, the lower my protein intake needs to be.

It seems these macros work best for me WHILE riding is 59% carbs, 38% fat and 3% protein. Stinger waffles - http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-...el-waffle.html

PRE ride macros are 55% carbs, 31% fat and 14% protein. Picky Bars - https://pickybars.com/pages/ingredient-science

If doing a shorter ride, my PRE ride macro is 41% carbs, 31% fat and 28% protein.

(i keep track of everything i eat in Myfitnesspal. And pre ride is almost always a bar and during ride it's generally stinger waffles, they fit so well in jersey pockets.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #676
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Just a quick note about iOS 11 for those of you who have iPhones. I upgraded to iOS 11 today and it really messed up both Fitbit and Garmin Connect. I got Fitbit working, but my Garmin Edge 520 still won't sync via Bluetooth with my iPhone even though it's connected and both devices "see" each other. The sync continually fails. Live tracking is also flaky. I've tried deleting the devices in BT and reconnecting and also deleting the Garmin app and reloading it. Neither worked. I was able to sync with Garmin through my laptop using a USB cable, so I have my data.

If you use an iPhone and updated to iOS 11, check to make sure your devices and apps are working before you set out on a ride.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #677
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Weird. Mine works without a hitch after the upgrade. In fact, a bit faster.

Have you rebooted your phone?
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #678
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Weird. Mine works without a hitch after the upgrade. In fact, a bit faster.

Have you rebooted your phone?
Yes, several times. I'll have to wait until my ride tonight to see if it will upload the ride.

On a side note, down 30lbs!
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #679
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5952
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yes, several times. I'll have to wait until my ride tonight to see if it will upload the ride.

On a side note, down 30lbs!

Dude!! That's awesome! Except for the having to buy new clothes part... that sucked.

But 30lb is no joke! What weight did you start at and what is your goal?


I was about 235 when i changed my eating habits. My goal was to get down to 215. That happened in 5 months so i figured why not shot for 200, i figured i'd have some abs showing at that point. That came in about 4 months so i said how about 190, SURELY my abs will appear at 190. lol Passed 190 in about 2.5 months and after that just figured when my weight plateaus, that's what i'll stay at. That was about 178 and that's where i've been for the past year. Still no abs though.

Keep it up Mark!! Feel so good to shed that excess weight and being fit on top of that only adds to the awesome feeling.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #680
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garmin and Fitbit both worked normally today. The phone must have just needed a few more reboots.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      09-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #681
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
6557
Rep
6,971
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Dude!! That's awesome! Except for the having to buy new clothes part... that sucked.

But 30lb is no joke! What weight did you start at and what is your goal?


I was about 235 when i changed my eating habits. My goal was to get down to 215. That happened in 5 months so i figured why not shot for 200, i figured i'd have some abs showing at that point. That came in about 4 months so i said how about 190, SURELY my abs will appear at 190. lol Passed 190 in about 2.5 months and after that just figured when my weight plateaus, that's what i'll stay at. That was about 178 and that's where i've been for the past year. Still no abs though.

Keep it up Mark!! Feel so good to shed that excess weight and being fit on top of that only adds to the awesome feeling.
Thanks. I plan on making this a lifetime habit now. Should have started it long ago.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5952.00
      10-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #682
GERMAN M3
Major
GERMAN M3's Avatar
Germany
2818
Rep
1,209
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Thanks. I plan on making this a lifetime habit now. Should have started it long ago.
Great to hear M_Six!! Cycling can definitely become addicting.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST