Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

11-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #353
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

The car itself is great IMO. I happen to just find it difficult to see myself driving this based on the station wagon/Mini van or MPV proportions and not being a true SUV. I was hopeful after my i3 and this was going to be my next vehicle but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to see myself in it. The price point does not look to be below $80K. At +$100K there is zero chances of me buying this.

Hoping the i4 doesn't disappoint in design. I'm not concerned about a few miles or a few seconds performance difference from Tesla.
      11-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #354
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

that's also a big no the design is way way way to complex tesla nailed it BMW learn something stop trying so hard geeez
      11-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #355
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
Quote:
The grilles are here to stay. I admire BMW for recreating their design language, much to the chagrin of some people in the peripheral. They are definitely thinking forward.
LOL do you work for BMW? This is atrocious...
Your response is both tired and overly regurgitated. No, I do not work for BMW. Admiring their willingness to push forward despite criticism(s) does not make me a shill. I would admire any business or person willing to carve their own path as they see fit, embracing criticism in the process.
You have the right to your own opinion as do others. No reason to attack them for disliking it. If it seems a common theme then there is merit to it. As you said yourself, embrace the criticism in the process. It's not personal unless you designed it.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #356
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The grilles are here to stay. I admire BMW for recreating their design language, much to the chagrin of some people in the peripheral. They are definitely thinking forward.
Your response is both tired and overly regurgitated. No, I do not work for BMW. Admiring their willingness to push forward despite criticism(s) does not make me a shill. I would admire any business or person willing to carve their own path as they see fit, embracing criticism in the process.
You have the right to your own opinion as do others. No reason to attack them for disliking it. If it seems a common theme then there is merit to it. As you said yourself, embrace the criticism in the process. It's not personal unless you designed it.
So wait, members can more or less continue to attack me, but I can't rebut?!? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #357
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Without any tone or argumentative purposes, can you share a bit more your view on how the gigantic grills are a symbol of BMW thinking forward?
It is not uncommon for design to be ahead of its time. Yes, sometimes forward thinking/design fails, but taking risks is part of the fun. If a designer or design team never tries to take their designs down other paths, the designs become stale.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #358
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

BMW is destroying the brand with these atrocious Grills. It's pretty bad when you try to find reasons to like the design. I hope they will reconsider.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 3
      11-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #359
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My opinion on the grilles / exterior being an utter design failure is shared by many.

BTW I'm not attacking you personally...you literally sounded like you worked for BMW in that post so I asked the question.

If you like the design that's great. You know what they say about opinions, everyone's got one.
Sedan_Clan24829.00
KRS_SN13104.50
Mavus2014.50
sq86363.00
bmw1racer998.00
Vivek.1363.50
      11-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #360
Frank Jia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MPPSK

Another BMW design disaster🤦🏻
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
bmw1racer998.00
      11-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #361
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So wait, members can more or less continue to attack me, but I can't rebut?!? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
Not saying you can't rebut, it is well within your right to. That being said I've seen many examples of it going the other way around where you've called out people for their viewpoints on disagreeing with the current design language, in which they never referenced you. Your so called "will you be driving it in a few years lists" stand out the most.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
OG///M1002.00
      11-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #362
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
This looks like the result of breeding an i3 with the new 4 series. Gross.
It baffles my mind that BMW didn't learn for i3 failure :
Everyone who has owned one, including myself, pretty much loves the car. They tried to kill it but it still sells, albeit not extremely well, but well enough.
My buddy had it in Chicago and he liked it's driving. We all have diff tastes, the cars I like my friends don't.
I'm just talking in general about the project.
The i3 is an EV that I actually find fun to drive. I still enjoy my M3 and I'm shopping for a Porsche and a big SUV. I don't think you have to stick with one type of car if that's what you are saying.
Not sticking to one type, I enjoy all cars.
BMW designs used to be more sophisticated, subtle and the body lines showing the power of the car. Now, it's very busy design, too many cuts and edges with different color shades. It could be the market demand,
I'm not an expert.

Let me tell you, KIA is doing really great job, making simple designs which stand out. take Stinger as an example, that car got so much appreciation from all kind of enthusiasts and it's good performance wise too. I see them often on track.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #363
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Without any tone or argumentative purposes, can you share a bit more your view on how the gigantic grills are a symbol of BMW thinking forward?
It is not uncommon for design to be ahead of its time. Yes, sometimes forward thinking/design fails, but taking risks is part of the fun. If a designer or design team never tries to take their designs down other paths, the designs become stale.
How are large grills that no one likes considered Forward Thinking? They are not innovative in any way. They aren't functional. It's not a feature. They are just aesthetics.
      11-14-2020, 02:36 AM   #364
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How are large grills that no one likes considered Forward Thinking? They are not innovative in any way. They aren't functional. It's not a feature. They are just aesthetics.
The true reaction/reception/success won't be accurately gauged any time soon. A few years from now we'll know how successful the design truly was.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #365
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Who is that chick? Is she a motoring journalist or just someone with good connections? Always seems to be reviewing latest models and has exclusive reveals. How does she get her mitts on those?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #366
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The true reaction/reception/success won't be accurately gauged any time soon. A few years from now we'll know how successful the design truly was.
How would you measure the success of the gigantic kidney grills?
      11-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #367
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
The same way BMW does: sales.
Appreciate 3
      11-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #368
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Quote:
So we are saying if the iX sales well it must be because of the grills?
      11-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #369
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Car is still ugly even if it sells, just look at how many Lexus RX's and Hyundai Elantra's sell. They aren't winning any beauty pageants.

No matter what, to me, this is a design failure.
bmw1racer998.00
OG///M1002.00
///M TOWN13119.00
      11-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #370
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Who is that chick? Is she a motoring journalist or just someone with good connections? Always seems to be reviewing latest models and has exclusive reveals. How does she get her mitts on those?
Female privilege perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #371
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductive View Post
I'm having difficulty scouring the specifications for "advanced" technology here.

The whole concept has been touted as "next generation" hence iNext - but unless this is 2012 news, I can't find anything that pushes the needle forward on market-defining technology, BEV or otherwise.
Give me a few names of other EV SUV with better specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #372
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Partially, yes. BMW cares about sales. That's it. They're a different car company than they were many years ago. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Car is still ugly even if it sells, just look at how many Lexus RX's and Hyundai Elantra's sell. They aren't winning any beauty pageants.

Then don't buy it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      11-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #373
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Partially, yes. BMW cares about sales. That's it. They're a different car company than they were many years ago. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post

Then don't buy it.
But what you are saying is that if the vehicle is a success, is not due to the price point, or value prop, or range, or interior design, or exterior design, or driving dynamics, etc. You are saying it due to the grills. Which I'm not clear how we are arriving at that conclusion.
      11-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #374
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

For some people, the brand turned their backs on them with the death of hydraulic steering. For others it was turboing every engine... the more you polarize your costumer base the more people you will find turning to other brands. BMW was just trying to expand their brand appeal with 30+ model types while losing their history and what they became popular for in the first place.

And now we get big ugly grilles.
Appreciate 0