BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Confess here

12-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #7173
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
This is solely volunteer. I don't make any money and this is not associated at all with my actual job.

I'm just so upset. I really don't understand how a social worker gets to have so much authority. This one doesn't even know the entire case and formed a decision. That's not ok. It's not objective. One person gets to be the deciding factor on a child's life. There should be a panel of at least 3 people looking at it objectively. I'm just frustrated and venting.
You know, in our society we glorify athletes and musicians every moment on TV, social media, etc.....

But real heroes (front line workers, teachers, volunteers such as yourself on behalf of children especially and many more I am not even mentioning here) get token appreciation.

Sorry you are trying and not being heard. Here is a story with an opposite twist, but the same problem.

17 years ago, our neighbors adopted a highly at risk 2 year old girl. She had parents who were drug addicts and beat her. Our neighbors are the nicest people we know....but the child grew up with severe behavioral issues, often violently attacking (with knives and other harmful objects) the natural siblings and her adopted parents. She cursed out teachers and other adults, destroyed property, etc. The parents did everything they could including years of counseling, - they even spent $150,000 on a program that deals with children with severe issues. Nothing worked, I think the poor child's brain was damaged by abuse.

But here's the thing - DCFS got involved and starting levying charges against the parents because the girl would literally break a window inside their home and run away. The parents were charged with abuse or abandonment of a child and actually ended up in court because of the case worker levying these charges. We would often see police vehicles in front of our house because the neighbors had to start documenting proof of what was going on (they wanted the police to see that they were not harming the child, and that the child was out of control - she once bit and fought a police officer trying to calm her down). This must have happened at least a dozen times.

End of story - the girl is now almost 18 and hasn't been home in months. The parents did have to go to court, but because they had to amassed so much evidence that they were not harming or kicking the child out, the judge immediately dismissed all charges against them....but again, all because the DCFS case worker wasn't taking the time to understand the situation.

It was really hard on that family - it almost tore them all apart. The natural siblings had issues because of all the attention the problematic adopted child was given, - their marriage suffered...
Appreciate 5
rebekahb3128.50
Sedan_Clan24814.00
Mein11422.00
      12-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #7174
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

BMWGUYinCO thank you for sharing that story with me. It is truly sad what that young girl witnessed and experienced at such a young age. People do not give enough credit to children that young that those experiences can/might affect their emotional outcome as they age. I can't even imagine how tough it was for that family who wanted to do a good thing but in turn it turned their world/family upside down. I don't think we make or have enough resources available. Mental health is severely underserved in the United States on various levels.

As far as DCFS, I don't know what goes through their head at times. I will say that they see a lot of the worst in adults when it comes to abuse to children and what they experience. I do give them grace from the standpoint that it is a taxing line of work. When you lose objectivity or the ability to see a situation for what it is, it is time to change your line of work. I say this from the standpoint of them being in charge of a childs life. This is where CASA is important from an advocate standpoint. They are brought in on cases because we typically only have 1 and are able to spend time doing things that DCFS might not have the time to do due to their case load. It should be a collaborative approach for the best of the child. Often times, they see us as threats especially when we testify in court that the child has not had their needs met by DCFS or we see things that may not align with DCFS's stance on that child. It's a lot.

As far as me resigning, I called my supervisor this morning and spoke with her at length. She asked me to think about it over the weekend and talk again on Monday. The sad part about all of this is the foster parent wants the person who is caring for the child (family) to continue to bond with them and help raise the child. The foster parent wants to keep the title that he adopted the child. It's completely selfish. My conversation last night was all I, I, I, I, I from the foster parent not lets look at what's best for the child.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
BMWGUYinCO4047.50
      12-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #7175
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

rebekahb

Your supervisor is taking a good approach - she wants you to take some time and think about this over a few days because they clearly value what you are doing, and don't want to lose you over the heat of the moment.

I admire what you are doing - not only is it on behalf of children, but it's also on a volunteer basis..."angels among us" as I say (and I am in healthcare but on the non-clinician side).

Good luck with your decision, I know it's hard but you should do what's right by you as well. And, I'm sure I speak on behalf of many others here when I say your extended BMW family is here for you! Hope you head into a more positive weekend.
Appreciate 5
TiMSport12786.50
Sedan_Clan24814.00
UncleWede17874.00
rebekahb3128.50
Buug95916839.50
      12-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #7176
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's not much to offer, but tonight I will be mixing up a special margarita in Angel rebekahb 's name
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24814.00
BMWGUYinCO4047.50
rebekahb3128.50
      12-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #7177
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's not much to offer, but tonight I will be mixing up a special margarita in Angel rebekahb 's name
I'm rocking a "Be Like Rebekah" sticky on my uniform today as I roll to this suspected child abuse call.
Appreciate 5
BMWGUYinCO4047.50
King Rudi13152.00
TiMSport12786.50
rebekahb3128.50
Buug95916839.50
      12-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #7178
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
BMWGUYinCO thank you for sharing that story with me. It is truly sad what that young girl witnessed and experienced at such a young age. People do not give enough credit to children that young that those experiences can/might affect their emotional outcome as they age. I can't even imagine how tough it was for that family who wanted to do a good thing but in turn it turned their world/family upside down. I don't think we make or have enough resources available. Mental health is severely underserved in the United States on various levels.

As far as DCFS, I don't know what goes through their head at times. I will say that they see a lot of the worst in adults when it comes to abuse to children and what they experience. I do give them grace from the standpoint that it is a taxing line of work. When you lose objectivity or the ability to see a situation for what it is, it is time to change your line of work. I say this from the standpoint of them being in charge of a childs life. This is where CASA is important from an advocate standpoint. They are brought in on cases because we typically only have 1 and are able to spend time doing things that DCFS might not have the time to do due to their case load. It should be a collaborative approach for the best of the child. Often times, they see us as threats especially when we testify in court that the child has not had their needs met by DCFS or we see things that may not align with DCFS's stance on that child. It's a lot.

As far as me resigning, I called my supervisor this morning and spoke with her at length. She asked me to think about it over the weekend and talk again on Monday. The sad part about all of this is the foster parent wants the person who is caring for the child (family) to continue to bond with them and help raise the child. The foster parent wants to keep the title that he adopted the child. It's completely selfish. My conversation last night was all I, I, I, I, I from the foster parent not lets look at what's best for the child.
That’s really upsetting that people like you who have advocacy skills that can benefit kids and are willing to provide these skills pro bono, are being driven away by bullshit
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
rebekahb3128.50
      12-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #7179
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm rocking a "Be Like Rebekah" sticky on my uniform today as I roll to this suspected child abuse call.
BLR

Could cause some confusion with the uniform
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      12-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #7180
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
BLR

Could cause some confusion with the uniform
Naw, because they'll think it means, "Black Lives Reign" or some other dumb ass interpretation.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
UncleWede17874.00
rebekahb3128.50
      12-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #7181
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Naw, because they'll think it means, "Black Lives Reign" or some other dumb ass interpretation.
Big Long Ramrod
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #7182
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm busy AF.

My last job paid me to just show up. At my current job these assholes actually expect me to do work. The nerve.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4047.50
________4157.00
      12-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #7183
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

How are you doing - where is your head at? I know you still have the weekend, hoping you do what's right for you. It may be that this isn't it, but that there is a more effective way you can help kids (and be a giant thorn in DCFS side too as an added bonus), or maybe this is the best avenue and you just need a little mental break and then get back to it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      12-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #7184
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Today I discovered a missing bolt on my caliper bolts that hold the front caliper to the front knuckle. Yea op bolt was finger loose.

Drove like that since last track day last month.

Jesus must have been at the wheel

😬
      12-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #7185
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Today I discovered a missing bolt on my caliper bolts that hold the front caliper to the front knuckle. Yea op bolt was finger loose.

Drove like that since last track day last month.

Jesus must have been at the wheel

😬
WOW! You got very lucky for sure, that usually ends badly with at least a broken rim, if not worse. Jesus definitely took the wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #7186
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I removed the rear plate to polish the deck of the bug this morning. Then washed and sealed and took off in a clean machine to run some errands

Came out of the bank, looking at how shiny the whole car was, ESPECIALLY the deck . . . With no plate
      12-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #7187
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I removed the rear plate to polish the deck of the bug this morning. Then washed and sealed and took off in a clean machine to run some errands

Came out of the bank, looking at how shiny the whole car was, ESPECIALLY the deck . . . With no plate
Whoops! lol

Lucky the law didn't notice.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #7188
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:

Whoops! lol

Lucky the law didn't notice.
Nor did that red light camera
      12-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #7189
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Cheers, rebekahb
Attached Images

upstatedoc7555.50
rebekahb3128.50
      12-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #7190
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
My ex's friends all unfollowed me this morning (mad shit must've been talked at brunch today lmao)

Good thing I drove a Mclaren Elva today to make up for my sad feelings
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      12-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #7191
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
You know what the wearing of a soldier uniform means to civilian people here in Germany? Told of the visit of the "Bridge of spies" into the pic-thread but the untold story additional to this is, that we were uniformed and walking the bridge over and back and what happened when a hord of Army Engineers are visiting a bridge? Yeah, they're discussing the amount and possible places to add some explosives to achieve the maximum at destroying the bridge
Some passing pedestrians and cyclists had heard it out of the context and their grimaces were priceless.
I confess that I'd enjoyed this moment very much.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
Buug95916839.50
      12-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #7192
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
My ex's friends all unfollowed me this morning (mad shit must've been talked at brunch today lmao)

Good thing I drove a Mclaren Elva today to make up for my sad feelings
I mean...I know that there is always more surplus money when the female departs the relationship (except in divorce), I'm just surprised that you have accumulated this much surplus cash this quickly....
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #7193
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I mean...I know that there is always more surplus money when the female departs the relationship (except in divorce), I'm just surprised that you have accumulated this much surplus cash this quickly....
Do you see what I went through?

Nah though, obviously not my car. A friend works for a very wealthy individual as a media coordinator and he invited me to hang/help with some shoots yesterday. (I did have permission to drive it, and the photos came out great)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #7194
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
would like to own a manual car some day.
back in the days living with fam, i was able to move (not drive) my brother's
civic hatchback that was manual. I could only go few feet, all i knew reverse and 1st gear lol
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00