BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Audio system volume seems very low

12-18-2023, 09:13 PM   #1
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
Audio system volume seems very low

For the past month or so the audio in my car seems much lower than it has in the past. I'm not sure if this is an android auto, phone integration issue or something others have experienced as well?

I've tried android auto, Bluetooth, even FM radio and the stereo has to be at 3/4 volume to be audible. In the past I'd barely put it past halfway.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:54 AM   #2
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Have you looked at your balance / sound / equalizer settings?
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have played around with these to no avail unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:42 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
It looks like you must make an appointment and go to your dealer to check it out.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

What year is your Z4?

There was a bad batch of radio parts that were installed in cars built in 2020, usually it causes bass audio problems.

Either way it sounds like an amplifier issue, definitely a dealer visit required for troubleshooting.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #6
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
What year is your Z4?

There was a bad batch of radio parts that were installed in cars built in 2020, usually it causes bass audio problems.

Either way it sounds like an amplifier issue, definitely a dealer visit required for troubleshooting.

It's a 2019 so maybe not that specific issue but it's had it's fair share of gremlins. I have a CPO until next July so I'm going to take it in like you all are suggesting, thanks for listening to my gripes 😜
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #7
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I messed around with the equalizer yesterday based on some settings that were posted on these forums a little while back. Honestly.. the Bass got real soft with that and I was left pretty disappointed. Ended up going back to factory settings and then boosting bass and treble. I agree though, the basic system bass punch sounds more filling than the HK upgraded system.
Appreciate 3
Mastakko181.00
Argo742.00
      12-19-2023, 09:50 PM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I agree though, the basic system bass punch sounds more filling than the HK upgraded system.
Appreciate you posting your thoughts since you've lived with both G29 systems.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4193.50
      12-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Appreciate you posting your thoughts since you've lived with both G29 systems.
If i were to have any singular regret with the new car, it's not just sticking with the basic sound system. Just don't think that the HK surround is worth the $875.
Appreciate 4
BMWGirlFL6357.50
Argo742.00
      12-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Interesting.

What specifically do you not like about the HK?

For me it's the lack of bass extension, and chassis resonance at typical bass frequencies found in genres like classic rock. A few weeks ago I listed to 3 garden variety rock songs in a row on XM (classic Van Halen, Journey, and maybe The Who) and even with the EQ totally flat so as to minimize chassis resonance the bass sounded terrible. Very disappointing. I've never heard the base (hah!) system, so not sure how it compares. Ultimately, I think the only way to fix the resonance will be to get in there and dynamat everything around the woofers, and possibly other panels.

The system probably could use more power too, especially for top-down use. But that's a distant 2nd place problem, IMO.

Somewhat related, I've been hearing that the premium HK system in the current Ram 1500s does not sound as good as the now mid-tier Alpine system. I have the same/similar factory Alpine system in my prior-gen truck and that comparison is the basis for most of my unhappiness with the Z4's audio.

Quote:
If i were to have any singular regret with the new car, it's not just sticking with the basic sound system. Just don't think that the HK surround is worth the $875.

Last edited by ebirotedu; 12-20-2023 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Which would you pick if reordering today and price was the same?
Which would you recommend to someone who thinks the $875 (less than 1.5%) upcharge is inconsequential?
Appreciate 1
Horseman4193.50
      12-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #12
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Interesting.

For me it's the lack of bass extension, and chassis resonance.
Have you tried the native Spotify app? Premium account required but think you will find improved sound compared to XM.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1482.50
      12-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #13
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Which would you pick if reordering today and price was the same?
Which would you recommend to someone who thinks the $875 (less than 1.5%) upcharge is inconsequential?
Depends: If I had an intention of selling the car, I'd still go for the HK system simply because of trade in value - resale (private).

However, for quality of sound purposes, I cannot bring myself to pay for the $875 option again in this car. The "upgraded" system is too soft for a convertible. Bass even when cranked, doesn't have the same impact. Basic system sounded very good in that regard, and the Surround Sound option in a convertible is absolutely pointless since many of those mid and high frequencies you're not hearing a whole lot of anyway with the top down. Bass... you feel/hear no matter what.

After two weeks now of almost daily driving the car with volume about mid way ... I'm not impressed by what the bass delivers with most genres of music. Everything from EDM, Techno to Classic Rock and Indie ... feels flat to me. I tweaked the equalizer a bit here and there (admitedly I don't really know wtf I'm doing in that regard, but I followed what others had posted from the forums) and wasn't impressed AT ALL.

I use a few songs for bass reference:

Bifrost -

Waste Love -

Playground -

All sounded flat without the punch I was looking for.

These songs in the base sound system absolutely ROCK the cabin with the top down and with the top up, it does it so much that it often rattled something in the trunk or the panel right behind the seats.

It should be understood that I am not an audiophile. I don't know the different Hz and technical attributes of a good sound system. Only what sounds/feels good. 100% the surround sound is kinda pointless in a car. period.... this is not really something I can be convinced otherwise. When it comes to home audio for movies and gaming, surround sound is very important. For Music... NOT REALLY. Especially when a 2-seater is extremely 2-Dimensional to begin with.

I honestly see myself swapping out the sound system one day, but after putting in $875 for this one ... it's hard for me to bite that bullet especially since I already lost so much trading up from the 30i.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #14
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Mostly I stream Amazon HD content, so CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) or better, but that doesn't sound any better either -- worse in fact because I usually listen to EDM via stream and that tends to emphasize bass even more.

So, I don't think I can blame XM's bitstream for the Z4's sucky bass. The same XM content sounds vastly better in the truck.

Quote:
Have you tried the native Spotify app? Premium account required but think you will find improved sound compared to XM.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mostly I stream Amazon HD content, so CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) or better, but that doesn't sound any better either -- worse in fact because I usually listen to EDM via stream and that tends to emphasize bass even more.

So, I don't think I can blame XM's bitstream for the Z4's sucky bass. The same XM content sounds vastly better in the truck.
No phone in equation with native Spotify. Do USB files sound better to you?
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 10:58 AM   #16
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

That I haven't tried. It would remove the Bluetooth codec from the equation as well.

I'll see about setting that up next time I'm in the car - looking like it will hit 60 on Saturday, so a good day for a drive. Think I have a Spotify login already....

Quote:
No phone in equation with native Spotify. Do USB files sound better to you?
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #17
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That I haven't tried. It would remove the Bluetooth codec from the equation as well.

I'll see about setting that up next time I'm in the car - looking like it will hit 60 on Saturday, so a good day for a drive. Think I have a Spotify login already....
Requires Premium (paid) account. Suggest USB as alternative test if need be. Please share your thoughts after.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #18
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Signed up for the 3 month free Spotify Premium trial. Convenient.

I have used the USB connect in the past, when I was first connecting my phone. But that was before I set up CarPlay. Don't recall noticing any difference in sound quality or even output level with USB vs BT/CarPlay.

Will report back after I have a chance to try the native Spotify app.

Quote:
Requires Premium (paid) account. Suggest USB as alternative test if need be. Please share your thoughts after.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #19
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

So recently my car went in for the booster/amp replacement due to faulty units installed in BMW’s built in 2020.

Here’s the kicker, before I brought it in I swear the bass hit harder, had to keep it dialed down cause it overpowered the sound system….but bass would cut out randomly so definitely wanted it taken care of while under warranty.

It sounds ok, I max the surround sound to bring in additional volume coming from the rear speakers….it is not a true surround sound system, all it seems to do is increase volume behind your head without touching the volume knob.

Do not have a point of reference for the base system, I purposely seeked out mostly loaded CPO M40i’s before purchase.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #20
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting.
A few weeks ago I listed to 3 garden variety rock songs in a row on XM (classic Van Halen, Journey, and maybe The Who) and even with the EQ totally flat so as to minimize chassis resonance the bass sounded terrible. Very disappointing.
Not to disagree with your suggestions but SiriusXM music is typically highly compressed. I don't currently subscribe to SiriusXM but ran across this webpage that may or may not be useful:

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/pr...aming-audio%3F

Appreciate 3
      12-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #21
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Thanks, I'll take a look, though I'm skeptical that XM bitstream quality is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Not to disagree with your suggestions but SiriusXM music is typically highly compressed. I don't currently subscribe to SiriusXM but ran across this webpage that may or may not be useful:

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/pr...aming-audio%3F

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:46 PM   #22
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I'll add some thoughts here, since I've had cars with both as well (albeit different cars).

The base Hi-Fi sound system in my M340i was awful. No bass at all, had to turn the volume up to 80% to even get some decent sound output. I find the HK in my Z4 significantly better. The base Hi-Fi in the Z4 must be better than in the 3 series (maybe due to the smaller cabin?).

With that being said, the HK in my wife's X3 sounds a lot better than the one in the Z4. There's a ton of bass in that system, and it just seems to get louder. Has more speakers, but a much bigger cabin.