BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography *OFFICIAL* Snapshot of the Day (one image per post please) #2

Closed Thread

09-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #177
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
I dont have that much skills with PS yet. It seems like a lot of trouble getting rid of both the screens and the shadow that they produce.

I must admit i'm working mainly with lightroom tho; but I should take some time to learn PS a little better.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #178
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I dont have that much skills with PS yet. It seems like a lot of trouble getting rid of both the screens and the shadow that they produce.

I must admit i'm working mainly with lightroom tho; but I should take some time to learn PS a little better.
I'd leave the screens. They'd be a pain to remove and they are part of the church now, so they belong. Although I think the powers-that-be at the church should have thought twice about mounting them.

You lined this image up perfectly so that the center line of the church is the center line of your image. So you could duplicate the layer, flip the bottom layer horizontally, then use a layer mask to take out the guy sitting in the pews and the guy off to the left. Takes about two minutes. Maybe a bit longer if you want to really tidy up.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 09-03-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #179
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

BTW, where is that and is it HDR?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #180
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'd leave the screens. They'd be a pain to remove and they are part of the church now, so they belong. Although I think the powers-that-be at the church should have thought twice but mounting them.

You lined this image up perfectly so that the center line of the church is the center line of your image. So you could duplicate the layer, flip the bottom layer horizontally, then use a layer mask to take out the guy sitting in the pews and the guy off to the left. Takes about two minutes. Maybe a bit longer if you want to really tidy up.
Nice shot, Mark.

Here are two shots from yesterday. Too tired to process any of the other photos from the weekend.

Go Daddy by mkrepp, on Flickr

Boy Scouts of America by mkrepp, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #181
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Its in Quebec city and is single shot hand held shot at ISO6400. I used a S curve on it tho. I will definitely go back outside the tourist season for an HDR attempt.

It was very dark in the church except for the hostel. So I boosted the shadows and blacks in LR to get some detail; and to be honest, I didnt think those would turn out that good. I'm impressed every time I use this camera. The DR is very wide and colors are rich.

I got a spare evening in front of me, and I've been talking myself to learn about layering for more then 6 months now. I should give it a try.

I really like the guy sitting in the church because to me it adds to the meaning of the picture. Being completely oof is even better. This place is usually PACKED with tourists and i've been lucky enough to get an almost clear sight after a 5 minutes wait. I got a lot more. In fact I shot from various focals an angles until someone walked through my sight.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #182
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Nice shot, Mark.

Here are two shots from yesterday. Too tired to process any of the other photos from the weekend.
Not my shot, Matt. I was just editing Maximus's shot. But you're right, it is a nice shot.

I watched that race on TV. Or rather, the qualifying. That is one seriously bumpy street course.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #183
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its in Quebec city and is single shot hand held shot at ISO6400. I used a S curve on it tho. I will definitely go back outside the tourist season for an HDR attempt.

It was very dark in the church except for the hostel. So I boosted the shadows and blacks in LR to get some detail; and to be honest, I didnt think those would turn out that good. I'm impressed every time I use this camera. The DR is very wide and colors are rich.

I got a spare evening in front of me, and I've been talking myself to learn about layering for more then 6 months now. I should give it a try.

I really like the guy sitting in the church because to me it adds to the meaning of the picture. Being completely oof is even better. This place is usually PACKED with tourists and i've been lucky enough to get an almost clear sight after a 5 minutes wait. I got a lot more. In fact I shot from various focals an angles until someone walked through my sight.
The lone guy there does lend a bit of emotional context to the shot, so yeah, there's no reason not to leave him in there.

I ran into the same issue at St. Patrick's in NYC this summer. Very dark inside and people constantly crowding in front of the altar. Tough to get a good shot. If I had brought my tripod with me, I could have done a long exposure shot, but I've found that tripods tend to draw lots of attention very quickly.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #184
triton3k
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Acura TL Type-S

Lovely couple. by Denn-Ice, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #185
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The lone guy there does lend a bit of emotional context to the shot, so yeah, there's no reason not to leave him in there.

I ran into the same issue at St. Patrick's in NYC this summer. Very dark inside and people constantly crowding in front of the altar. Tough to get a good shot. If I had brought my tripod with me, I could have done a long exposure shot, but I've found that tripods tend to draw lots of attention very quickly.
Thanks for the comments and feedbacks btw.

When I got into that church (Called Notre-Dame de Quebec btw), I was looking for a sign when I got in; looked everywhere... Couldnt see any. I was convinced that it was there, at least to ask not to shoot with flash or at least during the celebrations... nothing.

I tried one up close with flash, but nothing like natural light coming from the pieces of art they call windows.

Closer look at the altar.

I have to go back now that I know they allow pretty much everything. I will wait until September is almost over and the place should be a LOT less crowded.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #186
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the comments and feedbacks btw.

When I got into that church (Called Notre-Dame de Quebec btw), I was looking for a sign when I got in; looked everywhere... Couldnt see any. I was convinced that it was there, at least to ask not to shoot with flash or at least during the celebrations... nothing.

I tried one up close with flash, but nothing like natural light coming from the pieces of art they call windows.

Closer look at the altar.

I have to go back now that I know they allow pretty much everything. I will wait until September is almost over and the place should be a LOT less crowded.
Another great pic.

When you go back, see if they'll allow a tripod. When we were in Salzburg the Dom had a great light and music show. They wouldn't allow tripods, though. I'm sure some of the reason was that they didn't want anyone getting commercial grade pics or vids. But also because the church was packed and tripods can be a nuisance or even a danger. In an empty church it shouldn't make a difference.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #187
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton3k View Post

Lovely couple. by Denn-Ice, on Flickr
Nice shot, Denn. Love that 85 1.8 bokeh. No CA either. I'm surprised. Were you shooting stopped down?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #188
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another great pic.

When you go back, see if they'll allow a tripod. When we were in Salzburg the Dom had a great light and music show. They wouldn't allow tripods, though. I'm sure some of the reason was that they didn't want anyone getting commercial grade pics or vids. But also because the church was packed and tripods can be a nuisance or even a danger. In an empty church it shouldn't make a difference.
From what I saw, they do allow them. Any ways, i'll go when its really not that busy. When they see you making a donation in the box at the entrance, it helps a bit I guess!

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #189
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Nice shot, Denn. Love that 85 1.8 bokeh. No CA either. I'm surprised. Were you shooting stopped down?
Yes, very nice shot.
Exif says f/1.8

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #190
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Blue Angels Fortus

Canon 1D X, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
400mm, f/10, 1/3200s, ISO 800, Tv, RAW

I really had to bump up the ISO for a super-fast shutter speed, because even with IS mode 2, it's amazingly difficult to get a steady shot at 400mm with these ridiculously fast jets. Here they are going just under the speed of sound.
      09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #191
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I really had to bump up the ISO for a super-fast shutter speed, because even with IS mode 2, it's amazingly difficult to get a steady shot at 400mm with these ridiculously fast jets. Here they are going just under the speed of sound.
That's a pretty small size to evaluate, but I'm not sure it's really sharp. Look at it at 100% and the letters and numbers should be tack sharp. Maybe that's a huge crop or something, but I'm expecting sharper.

You weren't using a tripod were you? Don't use Mode 2 except on a tripod and even then it's debatable. I'd hand hold that kind of shot.

I think that you could have dropped down to 1/2000-sec. and still had plenty of sharpness.

Which AF mode were you in? You should have had AI Servo turned on, multi-shot. I've started using expanded single point (four surrounding one). Using the 61-points is tempting, but I'm finding that the camera might grab onto a wingtip when you really want the cockpit to be the focal point.

It's a learning process. The camera is amazing, but you can't just point it at an object and get consistent, sharp images.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 09-04-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #192
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]

Cedar Waxwing... my first by dcstep, on Flickr
      09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #193
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
      09-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #194
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
That's a pretty small size to evaluate, but I'm not sure it's really sharp. Look at it at 100% and the letters and numbers should be tack sharp. Maybe that's a huge crop or something, but I'm expecting sharper.

You weren't using a tripod were you? Don't use Mode 2 except on a tripod and even then it's debatable. I'd hand hold that kind of shot.

I think that you could have dropped down to 1/2000-sec. and still had plenty of sharpness.

Which AF mode were you in? You should have had AI Servo turned on, multi-shot. I've started using expanded single point (four surrounding one). Using the 61-points is tempting, but I'm finding that the camera might grab onto a wingtip when you really want the cockpit to be the focal point.

It's a learning process. The camera is amazing, but you can't just point it at an object and get consistent, sharp images.

Dave
It was not tack sharp at 100%, and it's shown cropped to about 75%. I was not using a tripod or monopod; it was handheld. I could've dropped down to 1/2000s, but the problem with those shots was that my panning technique wasn't good enough to allow for sharp images.

Most of the day I was practicing, and the towards the end of the day I was exhausted from holding nearly 7 lbs for ~6 hours before the Blue Angels. So, I'm sure I was much shakier.

Also, I was using AI-Servo and 12 fps. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to catch that maneuver and its apex without the 12 fps capability of the 1D X (unless I was really lucky). I was using the 61-pt auto AF for that shot. Honestly, that AF system is remarkably fast, and I got more keepers with that, instead instead of a single point AF.

edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot it was really hazy with all that smoke too.

Last edited by Chewy734; 09-04-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #195
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

panicos, your image hosting site sucks
      09-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #196
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
panicos, your image hosting site sucks
hahaah i know, i dont really use it, just to post images to the picture game and occasionally here when i dont upload directly from the computer
      09-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #197
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
It was not tack sharp at 100%, and it's shown cropped to about 75%. I was not using a tripod or monopod; it was handheld. I could've dropped down to 1/2000s, but the problem with those shots was that my panning technique wasn't good enough to allow for sharp images.

Most of the day I was practicing, and the towards the end of the day I was exhausted from holding nearly 7 lbs for ~6 hours before the Blue Angels. So, I'm sure I was much shakier.

Also, I was using AI-Servo and 12 fps. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to catch that maneuver and its apex without the 12 fps capability of the 1D X (unless I was really lucky). I was using the 61-pt auto AF for that shot. Honestly, that AF system is remarkably fast, and I got more keepers with that, instead instead of a single point AF.

edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot it was really hazy with all that smoke too.
Hmm, I don't understand the problem I would expect that with that AF system that around 8 out of 10 would be sharp, not necessarily well composed, but sharp. When picking my "keepers" I look at them on my 24" screen at 100 or even 200%. For animals I look at the eyes. For your Blue Angels I'd look at the lettering or the pilot.

When your previewing it's tempting to look for the best composition and peak of action. Ideally that's what you want, but if it's not tack sharp, then it needs to be shit-canned, sometimes you don't see that until you're at 100%. Also, you need to look after-crop and make sure the detail is still there. You've got to be brutal in your self analysis. My goal is for all my images to stand up to a full-screen viewing. I'll often process a heavy crop and then dump it when I see it full-screen.

I've tried 61-point AF for fast moving, flying objects and it DOES NOT WORK. You get too many shit-cans. It works fine for cars driving down the street at normal speeds or runners or bikers coming toward you, but it starts grabbing at parts of birds or planes and doesn't focus exactly where you want. I use the single point with four points surrounding it. I think there's one with 8-points around a single that you might try.

Is there a remote control airplane club in your area? If so, shooting those guys is great, repeatable practice. Try several AF modes and make sure you ask them to fly their planes straight at you a bit. When reviewing results, make note of keeper rates for various modes. With 61-points you'll get some part of the plane in focus most of the time, but you'll find when looking at 100% that it'll be the tail, or a wingtip, etc. Even at f/8, that's often not accurate enough and wide open it'll be way off.

My next step is to work with developing a custom AF program for me and my two normal setups (500/f4 and 700/f5.6). The AF reaction times vary quite a bit between those two and deserve their own programs. I'm approaching 10,000 images with my 5D MkIII and think this extra refinement will improve my keeper rate even more. (I dump tons and tons of pix).

Dave
      09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #198
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Hmm, I don't understand the problem I would expect that with that AF system that around 8 out of 10 would be sharp, not necessarily well composed, but sharp. When picking my "keepers" I look at them on my 24" screen at 100 or even 200%. For animals I look at the eyes. For your Blue Angels I'd look at the lettering or the pilot.

When your previewing it's tempting to look for the best composition and peak of action. Ideally that's what you want, but if it's not tack sharp, then it needs to be shit-canned, sometimes you don't see that until you're at 100%. Also, you need to look after-crop and make sure the detail is still there. You've got to be brutal in your self analysis. My goal is for all my images to stand up to a full-screen viewing. I'll often process a heavy crop and then dump it when I see it full-screen.

I've tried 61-point AF for fast moving, flying objects and it DOES NOT WORK. You get too many shit-cans. It works fine for cars driving down the street at normal speeds or runners or bikers coming toward you, but it starts grabbing at parts of birds or planes and doesn't focus exactly where you want. I use the single point with four points surrounding it. I think there's one with 8-points around a single that you might try.

Is there a remote control airplane club in your area? If so, shooting those guys is great, repeatable practice. Try several AF modes and make sure you ask them to fly their planes straight at you a bit. When reviewing results, make note of keeper rates for various modes. With 61-points you'll get some part of the plane in focus most of the time, but you'll find when looking at 100% that it'll be the tail, or a wingtip, etc. Even at f/8, that's often not accurate enough and wide open it'll be way off.

My next step is to work with developing a custom AF program for me and my two normal setups (500/f4 and 700/f5.6). The AF reaction times vary quite a bit between those two and deserve their own programs. I'm approaching 10,000 images with my 5D MkIII and think this extra refinement will improve my keeper rate even more. (I dump tons and tons of pix).

Dave
Yeah, neither do I. I haven't had a problem with sharpness on my other lenses, even in similar (but not so extreme) situations. Perhaps the 100-400mm needs some MFA? Or perhaps I just need to practice my skills more. I'll have to see what else is around town that I can practice on, before the winter begins.