BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Four-door Corvette: Fantastic idea

12-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
DmitriKozlowsky
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i Sdrive

Four-door Corvette: Fantastic idea

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3o0&ajaxhist=0

It worked for Panamera, and Estoque looks good. No reason why Vette cannot be made into executive transport.

GM, IMHO, should spin off Corvette as separate make, keeping it within GM family. The various trim performance trims would become model designations.

Corvette would then introduce a mid-engined Corvette, a four door front engined corvette, and evolve current two door grand tourer. Both front engined two seater, and mid engined two seater would be available as coupe or spyder/roadster.

Name:  Corvette 4door  a805a21b6cbcf826c2ffdc3e110d0dc1.jpg
Views: 3362
Size:  70.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

They do, it's called the CTS-V.
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
Kankles1484.50
      12-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Panamera and Estoque are built on unique platforms not shared with a sports car.

GM would have to do the same, but said platform would be expensive -- too expensive to justify for such a niche product. No one would purchase the resulting $100k+ four-door Corvette. They could use their Alpha platform instead, but then its just a CTS with different styling. And it would not look like a Corvette. It would look like a CTS with curves instead of straight lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

They're busy making the mid engine Vette right now to care about a 4 door version. It would be a bust and would only be made for a 2-3 year run. I'd rather see the mid engine version (with a DCT) before a 4 door version out on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

yeah, it'd be real easy to Frankenstein a car from the existing cars. it wouldn't be that hard at all, and wouldn't cost much either. I guess the engineers and designers are sitting in the break room jerking off all day.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

You'll have to settle for a four door Camaro.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Except that it's not built on Alpha - it uses the last generation Camaro platform. So instead of being able to perform about like an M4 can as the Camaro SS does, it performs about like a 340i rather than an M3.

It also looks no where near as racy as Camaro, nevermind a Corvette as the OP suggested. In fact it looks downright homely next to an M3 or Giulia, or even a C63 sedan. Heck even an ATS-V sedan looks better.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Except that it's not built on Alpha - it uses the last generation Camaro platform. So instead of being able to perform about like an M4 can as the Camaro SS does, it performs about like a 340i rather than an M3.

It also looks no where near as racy as Camaro nevermind a Corvette as the OP suggested. In fact it looks downright homely next to an M3 or Giulia, or even a C63 sedan. Heck even an ATS-V sedan looks better.
That is true, good point. The SS is still built on the Zeta platform.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
DmitriKozlowsky
Rep

Is that a Holden?

Quote:

That looks like a Holden. From Australia.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
DmitriKozlowsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
They do, it's called the CTS-V.
With all respect.
CTS-V is a sedan. A fast great handling sedan , that seats five. When I think of Panamera, Estoque, or a 4 door Vette, I am thinking seating for 4. Each of the four seats are same front Corvette sport seats. With rear seats having independent infotainment controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #11
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKozlowsky View Post
It is based off the Holden. The 04-06 GTO was the Holden Monaro platform, the 08-09 G8 was the Holden Commodore VE platform. Now the 14-17 is based off the same Commodore VF platform.

I'd rather have the SS anyways. V8, 4 door, manual option, MRS (2015+ year models), fully loaded with a lot of stuff, RWD and cheaper than anything else you can get for the same price (optioned the same) with a 6 speed manual. It can loose all that homie chromie crap. Never have understood the concept that they think people love that crap.

Its not suppose to perform like a M or Cwhatever, though it would be nice. Its really to go up against the Taurus and Charger. I don't care what magazines say. Thats the true competition.

If I want to have a car that performs better than a M or Cwhatever on a road course, I'd get a lowly 1LE Camaro.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because it is, an SS is just a rebadged Holden.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With all respect.
CTS-V is a sedan. A fast great handling sedan , that seats five. When I think of Panamera, Estoque, or a 4 door Vette, I am thinking seating for 4. Each of the four seats are same front Corvette sport seats. With rear seats having independent infotainment controls.
I understand what you are asking for. It would be a great vehicle but like I say above, it's hard to make the business case.

GM is doing all they can to keep Cadillac afloat right now. Building a whole family of Corvette products that compete in the same price bracket would potentially cannibalize Cadillac sales. Not to mention, it would spread resources too thin.

Perhaps a future Cadillac product could be closer in form to what you are asking. Cadillac's version of a Panamera perhaps. But at the rate SUVs sales are growing and passenger car sales are shrinking, I wouldn't necessarily bank on any new non-SUV nameplates from GM soon, Cadillac or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I understand what you are asking for. It would be a great vehicle but like I say above, it's hard to make the business case.

GM is doing all they can to keep Cadillac afloat right now. Building a whole family of Corvette products that compete in the same price bracket would potentially cannibalize Cadillac sales. Not to mention, it would spread resources too thin.

Perhaps a future Cadillac product could be closer in form to what you are asking. Cadillac's version of a Panamera perhaps. But at the rate SUVs sales are growing and passenger car sales are shrinking, I wouldn't necessarily bank on any new non-SUV nameplates from GM soon, Cadillac or otherwise.
Nail's head hit. However, there's growing evidence of luxury four-door "shooting brake" coupes gaining traction in the global marketplace -- not just in the U.S. That's the whole reason Audi's A7, M-B's CLS, and the Panamera exist. Not every executive, etc. wants to drive an SUV, nor do they all want to drive a 7 Series or S Class.

Heck: on the lower end, even Toyota's toying (sic) with the idea with an extended-back 86 2+2 that would basically compete with the with Veloster -- which, by the way, may turn up as a mid-engined 'N' variant in the next year or so ...

... but back on track: I'm willing to bet a four-door 'vette has been considered simply because of the above burgeoning trend and the coming Emperor mid-engine 'vette. It just wouldn't work, however, because the current platform sits too low. It's hard enough for a driver to get in the car. How's your 70-year-old CEO boss gonna bend down far enough to get in the back seat? That's not even considering the marketing challenges, i.e., the Corvette's status as the iconographic American two-seat sports car (Viper notwithstanding). Purists (and, I suspect, the general public when it's introduced) are having a hard-enough time with Emperor. Purists would consider a four-door 'vette abject sellout heresy.

Such a car from GM would have to use a different platform than the Corvette and be designed from the ground up ... and branding it a Cadillac would be a mistake because of its already near-insurmountable branding and perception issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Because it's based off the Holden from the Aussie's. Same platform as the Pontiac G8.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:

Then the SS - 415 hp 14 city /22 hwy mpg
Camaro SS - 455 hp 16 city /25 hwy mpg

Update the engine, transmission, platform, and styling (pretty much everything) and it might be a great car.
      12-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #17
TheNus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

While I'm in agreement with The statements as to why it couldn't or shouldn't happen, it is a much more compelling thought if I frame it as something like an Aston Rapide S instead of a Panamera. The Estoque is a great example as well but the Rapide seems to minimalize the rear doors a bit better.

Last edited by TheNus; 12-19-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #18
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

'Corvette' desperately needs to be it's own brand at this point. It solves so many problems.

1) Having better qualified salesmen for dealing with such expensive and complicated cars and selling them to more discerning buyers.

2) The internal battle as to whether they abandon the car's front-engine roots to build a true world class competitor super car or stick with the traditional formula.

3) The question of how many Corvette models to have, and what powertrains to use. A family would allow hybrid/EV, other-than-V8 gas engines, AWD and other new technologies to be incorporated w/out tarnishing the name to purists.

4) It would allow Cadillac to focus on what they need to focus on- true all-out luxury cars. Building one-generation BMW's with subpar interiors and build quality is obviously not resonating with buyers. A 'Corvette' branded sedan would negate the need for Cadillac's models to be so sporty. Or the need for as many Cadillac sedans, period.

5) Tying back to #1, they could have their stores/specific showrooms that offer a better experience than what people are traditionally getting when they buy a Cruze or Malibu. A decent number of Corvette buyers have 0 interest in other Chevy models. Further separation from the Chevy brand would help entice buyers who usually buy import and/or premium brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #19
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
No.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
'
5) Tying back to #1, they could have their stores/specific showrooms that offer a better experience than what people are traditionally getting when they buy a Cruze or Malibu. A decent number of Corvette buyers have 0 interest in other Chevy models. Further separation from the Chevy brand would help entice buyers who usually buy import and/or premium brands.
Indeed. My good friend, who loves Corvettes, tells me the main problem with owning one is that, when it needs service, you have to take it to a Chevrolet dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

When Corvette was selling 40k units/yr this idea might have been workable. Not now. If I remember right the C7 got down under 5k units/yr.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #22
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Stupid, just plain stupid.

Since 1953 Corvette has used the successful model of a 2 door sports car. It may have worked for Porsche but this is not for Corvette.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Appreciate 1