BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Investors / Options Traders

12-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #23
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The idea of asking a BMW forum for stock picks might be fun and exciting but long term it is unlikely you will beat the experts in this field or the low cost funds. Similar for asking for NFL betting advice here.
Something like 90% of the so called "experts" don't beat the market.

Be a Boglehead.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #24
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Mosaud1998 I like your buying individual stocks.
I’d also suggest gaining familiarity with TreasuryDirect.gov.

Of course at this point it’s a game as opposed to as some suggest an error or detriment to your financial future.

Things like your education and career or inheritances or future partner or even health are going to have greater repercussions on your financial future than the money you put into stocks at this point in your life.

After the first of the year and after the inauguration I’ll get back into a routine of reading investment news sources and online brokerage sources to key in on some stock purchases. With 5g, home renovation just the lifestyle changes due to Covid I’m looking to buy something new.

I think I’m going to look at GM.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #25
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Put in bitcoin and forget about it. Remember it 10 years later and retire on the millions you made.
      01-01-2021, 01:59 AM   #26
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

i put all my money on GNUS
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #27
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/c...8e7/cool_etfs/

Quote:
Cool ETFs

I'm bored. Decided to share some cool ETFs you may have not heard of. I'd love to hear of some ETFs you guys have or know of too!

IDNA/HELX - both genomic plays like ARKG

LRNZ- AI and deep learning.

BFTR/LOUP- black rock future innovators and frontier tech.

IQM - intelligent machines etf. Heavy position in Tesla however.

PTF/PTH - technology momentum and healthcare momentum ETFs.

MFMS - actively managed small cap etf.

BTEC- healthcare innovation. I really like this one.

QQQJ/QQQN - both similar ETFs that track the next stocks to be included in nasdaq.

QGRO - etfs that holds stocks with high grows/strong fundamentals.

PAWZ - just like it sounds baby. Tracks stocks related to pets.

ENTR/BUYZ -entrepreneur and disruptive commerce ETFs

Any other cool ETFs I should check out?

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 01-01-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:30 AM   #28
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Echoing others, ROTH IRA first, also make sure you are maximizing your 401k. THEN you can dip your toe into the stock market. I have positions in Apple, Netflix, Tesla, Disney among others.

Apple is my biggest position that I've held the longest. It was the first stock I ever bought 12 years ago.

Netflix is my second biggest with 425% gain

Tesla would have been my biggest, but I made a bad call years ago. Still seeing gains, but not nearly what it could have been.

Right now I am looking at crypto, but a part of me is still skeptical. I threw in what I could afford to lose just to enjoy the ride.

Also my LAC stock has finally payed off after sticking it though 6 mediocre years. I saw a 300% gain since then, most of which was this year. It's still fairly cheap, still a development stage company, but looks like it's going to mature to be a big player in the future. At $12 this could be my next Netflix buy.

I also have PLL, but I was a bit late on it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #29
turbopanda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
As of right now, I have a few shares in United Airlines and Tesla. I will be getting the stimulus check since I am 22 and not making more than $75k/year (I'm a college student ). So, I am planning on taking half of the stimulus check and investing it but I am having a hard time choosing where to invest it. I heard NIO is a good one along with Amazon.
Good for you for starting so young! I started investing at 25. I’m 29 now and I’ve been maxing out both mine and my wife’s Roth IRA and maxing out both of our Roth 401k for the last 2 years. Everyone has different goals and needs in life. No advice should be a one size fits all approach. I recommend meeting with several financial advisors, and working with the one that best fits you. There is a huge difference in service between a good advisor and a bad/lazy one. Do your research. Feel free to PM me for more info.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #30
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Can you point to some good reading to gain some knowledge as I’m not very familiar with this. Thanks !
Check this site, there are some good videos here: https://www.nexusinvestments.info/education/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks for this thread. What theme or thesis has done the best for you?
I like LEAPs. which are long-dated options and are typically in-the-money bullish bets on 1yr+. With options, you have clearly defined risk and the leverage of 100 shares of the underlying stock, so it can be quite lucrative if you get direction right. You can also sell anytime you're happy with the profit as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
My question, in your opinion how much do you need to start to play?

Honestly? 1K is enough to get started. I would learn the basics and maybe try triple leveraged index ETFs first. In the case it goes against you, you can hold, whereas options expire worthless if you predict wrong.

My old accountant told me unless I can stand to lose $10k, don't even play in the market
I don't think $10K is the magic number - that's completely relative. I would phrase it in terms of "don't gamble what you don't intend to lose".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
Don't start trading options.

If anything start looking into covered calls, that is where you would want to start.
Covered calls are one of the best (and safest) things out there. However, I wouldn't suggest not trading options. I think it's a great first step to try paper trading and then move to the real thing.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #31
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I ran investments for a few companies in the past, and day traded for a bit. Did pretty good, but have moved all of our 401k and personal investments to Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington funds (part stock/part bonds etc). Conservative with ok returns. (8-10% year, which is decent with amount we have in there.)

If you are young, run with S&P funds, and enjoy the ride...just start going, adds up by the time you are 50 I'm a big Vanguard fan, low fees, good returns and fantastic customer service/advice.

(those 2 funds have been voted best bang for buck, low risk, ok returns)

Good luck and of course consult your financial advisor blah blah
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #32
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I played with futures last night in the cryptos... was triple my money went to the refrigerator and came back and it hit the stop loss by going over by $1... way too tuff to play for the most part.... the way it worked that I was playing is you pick the bottom and depending on how much you want to lose for the stop loss and it's not much... 5% loss was only like giving $10 leeway.... 45% loss gave $150 leeway (this is how much you can go below your pick) .... in the end... don't do it... way toooooo tough... just my opinion...

Last edited by FastF30; 01-03-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0