BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jeep 392 Wrangler Extreme Recon - Best Daily Driver

10-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #23
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I just looked locally here in Ontario, some are selling for $110-146k. lol

https://www.jeep.ca/en/new-inventory...activeTab=cash
They retail for $85-94k USD with the options most people would want, but you can order one for ~10-11% off MSRP. The going rate for cars on the lot is generally MSRP to MSRP + $10k or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
On the value today sure. But jeeps hold their value very well. They aren’t porsche level but they are up there and typically stronger than BMW; so it’s hard to say it’s not a decent buy if he find it fun.
Wranglers probably hold their value better than any SUV outside of a G wagon. I drove my 2018 Wrangler for 25k miles over 3 years and sold it for $3k more than I paid for it brand new to a wholesaler. Considering this is the only Wrangler that will ever be built with a hemi, I think their value will hold extremely well long term.
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      10-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #24
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesm View Post
Congratulations on the 392!!
The gobi color looks killer. Im still waiting for my Stingray order to be built. How long was your wait time? Every person I've talked to whose drive it agrees with your statement...it is a great/fun car to drive.

Congratulations!!!
I ordered in November 2021 and it was delivered first week of September, so about 10 months. Definitely one of the longer waits I've seen, part of that was due to an issue with them canceling my order by accident and having to get it reinstated, plus I changed the color from white to Gobi which may have delayed things too. Seems most people wait 3-4 months.
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      10-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #25
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
They retail for $85-94k USD with the options most people would want, but you can order one for ~10-11% off MSRP. The going rate for cars on the lot is generally MSRP to MSRP + $10k or so.

Wranglers probably hold their value better than any SUV outside of a G wagon. I drove my 2018 Wrangler for 25k miles over 3 years and sold it for $3k more than I paid for it brand new to a wholesaler. Considering this is the only Wrangler that will ever be built with a hemi, I think their value will hold extremely well long term.
Yep. Which is why I was suggesting it was a good buy. Forget how much you like it, it’s hard to argue it’s not worth the spend when it will sell high. IT’s sort of like a GT3/GT4. You might spend a fortune up front but hte reality is you don’t lose a ton in the transition to the next model.

I want a GT3 in 6-7 years. It sucks to spend that kind of money but I’m pretty sure trending it out over 20 years and if I flip that car every 3-4 vs. any other cars i’ve had from Audi to Lexus to Corvettes etc.. I have a feeling I’ll lose less money in the long run despite “spending” more on the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #26
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep. Which is why I was suggesting it was a good buy. Forget how much you like it, it’s hard to argue it’s not worth the spend when it will sell high. IT’s sort of like a GT3/GT4. You might spend a fortune up front but hte reality is you don’t lose a ton in the transition to the next model.

I want a GT3 in 6-7 years. It sucks to spend that kind of money but I’m pretty sure trending it out over 20 years and if I flip that car every 3-4 vs. any other cars i’ve had from Audi to Lexus to Corvettes etc.. I have a feeling I’ll lose less money in the long run despite “spending” more on the Porsche.
I've had 4 911's and made money on all of them except broke even on the GT3. Had I held onto that one it would be worth about $30k more than I sold it for. Believe it or not I had trouble getting $100k for it a couple years ago, had people lowballing me at $80-85k lol. Bought it for $101k, sold it for $100k after adding about 4k miles (sold with 43k).

I always try to buy fun cars that have strong resale - nicely spec'd Porsche's, the Ferrari FF, 392 Wrangler, etc. I've made around $70k over the last 5-6 years driving high-priced cars and then selling them after a year or so. Just need to know what you're doing buying the right cars, be able to get financed, and able to afford the payments and maintenance/repairs.

My most expensive car was a BMX X3 that I paid $20k for, lost $5k on in one year plus spent about $5k in repairs.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6070.50
Mike00105.00
      10-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #27
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've had 4 911's and made money on all of them except broke even on the GT3. Had I held onto that one it would be worth about $30k more than I sold it for. Believe it or not I had trouble getting $100k for it a couple years ago, had people lowballing me at $80-85k lol. Bought it for $101k, sold it for $100k after adding about 4k miles (sold with 43k).

I always try to buy fun cars that have strong resale - nicely spec'd Porsche's, the Ferrari FF, 392 Wrangler, etc. I've made around $70k over the last 5-6 years driving high-priced cars and then selling them after a year or so. Just need to know what you're doing buying the right cars, be able to get financed, and able to afford the payments and maintenance/repairs.

My most expensive car was a BMX X3 that I paid $20k for, lost $5k on in one year plus spent about $5k in repairs.
The GT3 is shocking since people rarely seem to lose money on them especially on the used market which it obviously was unless it was a long time ago?

I don’t care necessarily about making money on cars. I just suspect as I shift into this new upper range I won’t lose near as much as people suspect. I flip the cars too often (or do when I’m not investing).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #28
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:

since we both have a similar taste in cars and like NA v8s... which would you pick between these two? looking for my v8 nice weather daily. the LC is very rare, but doesn't really have the brand heritage of the M. it also doesn't have the usual maintenance things that come with an e92.

just not sure if the LC will dump like most luxury GT car do. or if it will go up / stay stable due to rarity. i think they make like 100 a month or something.

https://www.exoticmotorsportsok.com/...bmw-m3-c-1076/

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=658947203

need to make a decision in 2 months otherwise my 50k tax credit from the f80 sale runs out

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #29
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The GT3 is shocking since people rarely seem to lose money on them especially on the used market which it obviously was unless it was a long time ago?

I don’t care necessarily about making money on cars. I just suspect as I shift into this new upper range I won’t lose near as much as people suspect. I flip the cars too often (or do when I’m not investing).
I sold mine about 3 years ago before the Covid pricing madness. Even breaking even or losing a little on these cars is still pretty amazing to be able to drive them for "free" or close to it for something that was so expensive when new. My FF that I sold a few months ago was $392k new, paid $108k for it, drove it a year and sold it for $150k. Covid helped but I still don't think they'll ever be worth less than $100k-ish even with a ton of miles on them.
Appreciate 1
Mike00105.00
      10-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #30
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...s-on-offensive

I didn't know they were making these, 83K as tested for a jeep, wow.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:20 PM   #31
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I sold mine about 3 years ago before the Covid pricing madness. Even breaking even or losing a little on these cars is still pretty amazing to be able to drive them for "free" or close to it for something that was so expensive when new. My FF that I sold a few months ago was $392k new, paid $108k for it, drove it a year and sold it for $150k. Covid helped but I still don't think they'll ever be worth less than $100k-ish even with a ton of miles on them.
yeah covid helped with the z06 I brought. Bought literally in April 2020 and then 2 months later it was worth about $18k more. Crazy market.

The driving cheap piece is the interesting piece to me about it. Looking at the values on Porsche it’s easy to see how you can flip them every 3 years or so and not spend a fortune. not a money maker but certainly not the loss you would think it would be when you compare what you lose on a 70-110k car typically in the first 2 years else where.

GT3 is sort of on my hotlist of cars but I’ve started eyeballing a few exotics as well. Sort of curious how Ferraris and Lamborghini or even McLaren (though some of what I read there concerns me on car issues) hold up price wise.

Wouldn’t mind owning one of those in the future also. Especially if Lambo keeps producing ICE as long as they state they will.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:36 PM   #32
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
I just saw one of these today in blue and it had some sort of aftermarket exhaust. I'm not even a Jeep guy but it sounded nice.

Do people offroad these high HP variants? I don't know much about offroading as I'm usually a passanger.
      10-12-2022, 09:49 PM   #33
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
I just saw one of these today in blue and it had some sort of aftermarket exhaust. I'm not even a Jeep guy but it sounded nice.

Do people offroad these high HP variants? I don't know much about offroading as I'm usually a passanger.
People have taken supercars off-road so I’m sure somebody does. For example:

From what I understand no real downside to off-roading these other than you better have good throttle control but thats true in any off-road.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #34
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Best daily?

You must work from home or your workplace must be at most 5 miles away lol

When I think of a good daily, it would be a high MPG vehicle yet also fun to drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:57 PM   #35
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Best daily?

When I think of a good daily, it would be a high MPG vehicle yet also fun to drive...
I do work from home so don’t care about MPG. Obviously this isn’t the car to buy if you need good gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:00 PM   #36
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
since we both have a similar taste in cars and like NA v8s... which would you pick between these two? looking for my v8 nice weather daily. the LC is very rare, but doesn't really have the brand heritage of the M. it also doesn't have the usual maintenance things that come with an e92.

just not sure if the LC will dump like most luxury GT car do. or if it will go up / stay stable due to rarity. i think they make like 100 a month or something.

https://www.exoticmotorsportsok.com/...bmw-m3-c-1076/

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=658947203

need to make a decision in 2 months otherwise my 50k tax credit from the f80 sale runs out
I think a low mileage top condition e92 will hold its value much better long term but obviously the LC had a higher original price tag and is a newer more modern car. Haven’t driven an LC but it seems like very much a GT car. For $75k I’d rather have a 981 Cayman GTS though. I like the LC a lot but just don’t think Lexus will have any long term appreciation.

Is a 2013 e92 with 35k miles really worth $62k now? Market still nuts…that was $40k a couple years ago
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6070.50
      10-12-2022, 11:07 PM   #37
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yeah covid helped with the z06 I brought. Bought literally in April 2020 and then 2 months later it was worth about $18k more. Crazy market.

The driving cheap piece is the interesting piece to me about it. Looking at the values on Porsche it’s easy to see how you can flip them every 3 years or so and not spend a fortune. not a money maker but certainly not the loss you would think it would be when you compare what you lose on a 70-110k car typically in the first 2 years else where.

GT3 is sort of on my hotlist of cars but I’ve started eyeballing a few exotics as well. Sort of curious how Ferraris and Lamborghini or even McLaren (though some of what I read there concerns me on car issues) hold up price wise.

Wouldn’t mind owning one of those in the future also. Especially if Lambo keeps producing ICE as long as they state they will.
One of the major benefits of getting a 991.1 GT3 is the 10 year engine warranty. As my first $150k+ car I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be hit with a monster repair bill. Will be interesting to see what happens to their values after the 10 year mark.

Owning an exotic is definitely more of a pain than a Porsche. People think every 911 is the same car, but everyone knows what exotics look like. Lots of comments and looks, people trying to race you, etc. Any time something goes wrong you’re a little worried about a five figure repair bill lol. Getting repairs and parts in the first place takes longer. Have to be prepared for all of that otherwise you’ll get tired of it quickly. There’s no McLaren dealer in Vegas so I ruled those out. Shipping the car to Scottsdale for every little thing isn’t something I want to deal with.

Def helps to have a good indy shop nearby that can work on exotics. One of the issues I quickly found with Aston ownership is that there are some things only the dealer can diagnose because of their proprietary software. Had an emissions error and my indy checked everything and couldn’t find anything wrong. Told me I had to take it to dealer. $500 for diagnosis. $2000 for a purge valve, oxygen sensor, and new gas cap. That would probably be $800 or so on a Porsche if I had to guess.
Appreciate 2
Mike00105.00
Humdizzle6070.50
      10-12-2022, 11:42 PM   #38
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Best daily?

Do you really factor in MPG when talking about a $75k plus purchase? And when you say daily it alos means you have other cars. So if we think the daily is doing 10,000 miles a year and lets say it average 20 MPG not good not horrible. A 27 mph average would save you $500 bucks on that single year.

I’m not saying it’s nothing but if I ‘m buying a $75k depreciating asset it’s not something that I think about.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #39
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
One of the major benefits of getting a 991.1 GT3 is the 10 year engine warranty. As my first $150k+ car I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be hit with a monster repair bill. Will be interesting to see what happens to their values after the 10 year mark.

Owning an exotic is definitely more of a pain than a Porsche. People think every 911 is the same car, but everyone knows what exotics look like. Lots of comments and looks, people trying to race you, etc. Any time something goes wrong you’re a little worried about a five figure repair bill lol. Getting repairs and parts in the first place takes longer. Have to be prepared for all of that otherwise you’ll get tired of it quickly. There’s no McLaren dealer in Vegas so I ruled those out. Shipping the car to Scottsdale for every little thing isn’t something I want to deal with.

Def helps to have a good indy shop nearby that can work on exotics. One of the issues I quickly found with Aston ownership is that there are some things only the dealer can diagnose because of their proprietary software. Had an emissions error and my indy checked everything and couldn’t find anything wrong. Told me I had to take it to dealer. $500 for diagnosis. $2000 for a purge valve, oxygen sensor, and new gas cap. That would probably be $800 or so on a Porsche if I had to guess.
So I’m fortunate being in the northeast. I have pretty much any dealer near by.

Lambo / Ferrari is what I have my eye on only because some of the stuff I’ve read around the 720s concern me. BUT i do really love that car. THat said in some ways it’s a bucket list item. Not 100% sure I would stick with exotics long term (the recognition piece I expected) and the maintenance piece I’m familiar with to a degree. But not sure I would want the whole mess plus big depreciation (or at least for more than one car).

Still lambos to have much reputation around quality and maintenance. Ferrari gives you the 5 year maintenance plan also.

Ahh well issue for a later age but it’s funny. It’s easy to find out what you are getting into with the porsche, even a $200k+ porsche. Burn ot so easy to research with exotics.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:12 AM   #40
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:

So I’m fortunate being in the northeast. I have pretty much any dealer near by.

Lambo / Ferrari is what I have my eye on only because some of the stuff I’ve read around the 720s concern me. BUT i do really love that car. THat said in some ways it’s a bucket list item. Not 100% sure I would stick with exotics long term (the recognition piece I expected) and the maintenance piece I’m familiar with to a degree. But not sure I would want the whole mess plus big depreciation (or at least for more than one car).

Still lambos to have much reputation around quality and maintenance. Ferrari gives you the 5 year maintenance plan also.

Ahh well issue for a later age but it’s funny. It’s easy to find out what you are getting into with the porsche, even a $200k+ porsche. Burn ot so easy to research with exotics.
Def try to find an Indy or someone who can do your maintenance /repairs if you go Lambo/Ferrari. It will make your ownership way way better!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #41
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
I think a low mileage top condition e92 will hold its value much better long term but obviously the LC had a higher original price tag and is a newer more modern car. Haven’t driven an LC but it seems like very much a GT car. For $75k I’d rather have a 981 Cayman GTS though. I like the LC a lot but just don’t think Lexus will have any long term appreciation.

Is a 2013 e92 with 35k miles really worth $62k now? Market still nuts…that was $40k a couple years ago
yeah e92 market is nutty. individual/frozen edition low miles cars are moving for 60s. the regular zcp cars are going for 50s on BaT.

caymans are nice. but i still have my .2 gt3. i feel like it would be more of the same with the flat six, similar gauges, and buttons, etc.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 02:27 PM   #42
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

that thing is a BEAST - pretty cool - enjoy it
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #43
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Absolutely right OP - love my 392. And especially now that we are starting to see some fairer weather on the horizon here really get to enjoy it.

Mine with the wheels/tires on. Lift just got here as well as all the other goodies and going to start installing next week.

Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      10-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #44
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Nice Jeep OP.

Love my 2022 rubicon. Just replaced my 2020 red rubicon that got totaled from a lighting strike. If I could only have one car, I'd take this over my G80 M3. So much fun to drive.

And to the person that said these things are so expensive to have, that's nuts. My last one didn't cost me a damn thing in 2 years and 27k miles. Flawless. Well I guess it did cause me to buy tube doors, sunrider, and whole bunch of other accessories. That adds up quickly.
Attached Images