CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Unrealistic expectations. I don’t think a day ended prior to 730pm last week (always start around 6am) and proceeded to spend 20 hours over the weekend working due to client demand, then three projects dropped on my lap between yesterday and today from a vp who’s supposed to be on vacation. Some are meant for SLT audience, some at a slightly lower level. Work life balance doesn’t exist, not paid nearly enough for this level of work and even if paid more, likely don’t find the environment conducive to career satisfaction and growth.
Work/life balance doesn't seem to exist in many places now. Like what happened to just coming to work, kicking ass and getting shit done, then going home?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      08-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #6558
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:
Unrealistic expectations. I don't think a day ended prior to 730pm last week (always start around 6am) and proceeded to spend 20 hours over the weekend working due to client demand, then three projects dropped on my lap between yesterday and today from a vp who's supposed to be on vacation. Some are meant for SLT audience, some at a slightly lower level. Work life balance doesn't exist, not paid nearly enough for this level of work and even if paid more, likely don't find the environment conducive to career satisfaction and growth.
Work/life balance doesn't seem to exist in many places now. Like what happened to just coming to work, kicking ass and getting shit done, then going home?
This work-life balance is exactly what I'm trying to achieve by getting off the street and finding a more chill position in the corner of the county. Last year really shined a bright light on the importance of work-life balance after my life became about nothing but protests, riots, mandatory shifts with no days off and little sleep.
Appreciate 3
Dpc2u11503.00
      08-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #6559
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
I think the problem is home has become work because you can't escape it. Interestingly Americans are renowned for this behavior. Technology has put a lot of people in this trap. You're a millennial so you may not remember the days before social media or for that matter, smart phones! Believe me, I sure as hell do remember those days and I miss them in many ways.
Appreciate 4
      08-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #6560
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
I think the problem is home has become work because you can't escape it. Interestingly Americans are renowned for this behavior. Technology has put a lot of people in this trap. You're a millennial so you may not remember the days before social media or for that matter, smart phones! Believe me, I sure as hell do remember those days and I miss them in many ways.

You and me both.
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12803.00
      08-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #6561
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Oh man, that sounds rough. Sorry to hear.
Appreciate it man. It’s on me to try and level set and if they don’t get it, I’m highly marketable. I can change my circumstances.

Quote:
Bro preach. It’s even the same company which I’ve quite a bit of tenure with which makes it more difficult. It’s not my efficiency, we cut half the team prior to me engaging and were asking more of everyone. Seems to be a common thread through the 2020 carnage of humanity.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12803.00
      08-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #6562
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
If I could Ctrl+Alt+Del the internet and especially social media I would. I specifically decided no during the MySpace craze and have retained this perspective. I long for the days of yesterday.
Appreciate 4
TiMSport12803.00
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #6563
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I'm still old enough to remember the 1990s. I may have been a kid, but remember going places without a phone, social media, etc. I work in tech, but purposely drive older vehicles without infotainment. You just need a break from it sometimes. The most relaxing part of my day is driving home with the radio off, doors and top off my Jeep, and just shifting the gears.

I always work hard while I'm at work (I'm doing 3 other things while I'm typing this) and when I leave, whatever it is can wait until tomorrow. The people who work for me are the same way. I don't want to contact them on a weekend if it isn't required, let them enjoy their time off.

Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #6564
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I could Ctrl+Alt+Del the internet and especially social media I would. I specifically decided no during the MySpace craze and have retained this perspective. I long for the days of yesterday.
I don't watch the news, and don't have social media except for snapchat which is for sharing funny shit with friends, and facebook which I only use for marketplace. It's very liberating, and I encourage everyone to try it. My phone is also on vibrate 100% of the time.

The negative is I spend more time on car forums and more car parts somehow end up showing up at my door.

Appreciate 3
TiMSport12803.00
      08-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #6565
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Amen brother! I don't do FB, Twitter, IG, or anything like it because... well we've basically stated it here.
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #6566
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
The negative is I spend more time on car forums and more car parts somehow end up showing up at my door.
Lol. THIS is something I can't seem to pry away from. It's my only real vice so I can't feel too bad about it. Bimmerpost is like a drug man. It can sometimes be annoying but evens out with the cool people around here. One important key is to have a good sense of humor, even if you have a different perspective on things sometimes.

I think we sometimes forget that things on the most part haven't changed in terms of we being humans and having different ideologies or ways, but once again, with social media platforms, we've gotten a deeper look behind the curtains and often times don't like what we see. Some things are better left unknown IMHO.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #6567
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
but remember going places without a phone, social media, etc. I work in tech, but purposely drive older vehicles without infotainment. You just need a break from it sometimes. The most relaxing part of my day is driving home with the radio off, doors and top off my Jeep, and just shifting the gears.
Hence my dad's cabin doesn't even have a land line, and I vaca outside the US borders if not at the cabin. Work won't pay for international calls, and ethernet over barbed-wire is all I have in Mexico or further south.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #6568
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Hence my dad's cabin doesn't even have a land line, and I vaca outside the US borders if not at the cabin. Work won't pay for international calls, and ethernet over barbed-wire is all I have in Mexico or further south.
Smart man.

In a few weeks I'm going to a friend's cabin in VT for the weekend. Miles from anything, no cell service, and you need 4x4 to get there. It's perfect.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #6569
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Smart man.

In a few weeks I'm going to a friend's cabin in VT for the weekend. Miles from anything, no cell service, and you need 4x4 to get there. It's perfect.
This sounds like some weird alien movie I vaguely remember.

1MOREMOD you going to be up in VT over the weekend???
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #6570
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yes, staging for Canadian invasion
Appreciate 2
UncleWede18023.50
King Rudi13154.00
      08-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #6571
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Quote:
Smart man.

Make sure you bring the scatter gun!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #6572
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
MKSixer is he taking BOTH girl scout troops?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #6573
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Smart man.

Make sure you bring the scatter gun!
Yes! Bring the boomer always…..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #6574
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Who in the frick told you were were going to invade? Who? We're a small country population wise, so I probably know them, just give me their name. That was supposed to be a secret op.

We weren't going to take much btw, just a little land (ok, a decent chunk) and a few things to keep us a little warmer on the cold winter nights.

We sort of figured you Americans had enough on your plates that you wouldn't really notice Canada got a little bigger suddenly.

And just as a FYI, I think you now understand what you should have said, which was, "staging for the invasion of Canada"...rather than the Canadian invasion....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #6575
2one3E90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2004 BMW Z4   [9.67]
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
I cant seem to downshift smoothly when my dads in the car with me LOL.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #6576
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one3E90 View Post
Ahhhh yes. Daddy issues. Afraid to disappoint and have the gear engage too abruptly.

Counseling. Therapy. Talk it through with your father. Let him know what behaviors make you nervous and how you two can co-exist in more of a loving relationship as opposed to authoritative.

Let us know how this convo goes with your dad.
Appreciate 2
2one3E902422.00
      08-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #6577
2one3E90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2004 BMW Z4   [9.67]
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Ahhhh yes. Daddy issues. Afraid to disappoint and have the gear engage too abruptly.

Counseling. Therapy. Talk it through with your father. Let him know what behaviors make you nervous and how you two can co-exist in more of a loving relationship as opposed to authoritative.

He drives manual really good but my heel toe rev matching is above average. Until hes in the car I either release it to early or rev higher than normal. Like wtf
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #6578
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:

He drives manual really good but my heel toe rev matching is above average. Until hes in the car I either release it to early or rev higher than normal. Like wtf
He's got decades of experience on you. Understand that no matter how many years you log heel/toe'ing, his experience just goes up as well, until he stops driving lol.

Don't worry about catching up to your old man's skill level. Focus on your technic, focus on smoothness, focus on form et all. You think your dad didn't have unsmooth era? Experience and time. You'll get there. Just stop worrying so much about not being as good as your dad, you just end up psyching yourself out.
Appreciate 1
2one3E902422.00