BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos DUI Insurance

11-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #45
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
A known drunk? 1 in 5 drivers has a DUI on their record here. Guess I can never let anyone drive my car again...
Seriously? 20% of drivers have been convicted of DUI? That seems insane.
      11-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #46
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Ok now , this boy didn't commit a murder
Gezz
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
MWMM386.00
      11-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #47
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Seriously? 20% of drivers have been convicted of DUI? That seems insane.
That does seem insane. (Anecdotally, I don't know a single person in my family, extended family, or any friend who has been arrested for DUI and I'm in my mid 40s).

Around 1% of licensed drivers per year. If you trust this answer https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...DWI-conviction, he calculates around 17%.

Although I think ignoring multiple repeat offenders makes this number misleading.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #48
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
That does seem insane. (Anecdotally, I don't know a single person in my family, extended family, or any friend who has been arrested for DUI and I'm in my mid 40s).
I agree 20% sounds strangly high, but why would your family or friends tell you or anyone else if they’d been done for DUI? Not knowing hardly indicates anything.

I have absolutely no sympathy for people that drive while impaired under the influence of alcohol, they deserve everything that’s coming to them including expensive insurance. DUI is a choice, not unavoidable nor an accident.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #49
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Quote:

Around 1% of licensed drivers per year. If you trust this answer https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...DWI-conviction, he calculates around 17%.

Although I think ignoring multiple repeat offenders makes this number misleading.
I just fact checked myself, Its actually 1 in 7 in Minnesota, still about 15%. I believe the rate of dui's is higher here than other states.
      11-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
I won't pass judgement on the kid, everyone makes mistakes. I'm going thru this now and I "technically" wasn't even driving when I received my dui. I was rearranging cars in my driveway and pulled one car out, and went to pull another one in all of maybe 100ft. When I went to pull the car from the street to the driveway I fell asleep in the car with it running and a "concerned" neighbor called the cops instead of coming out to see what was up which led to a dui. My driveway is private property but the section right in front of my home is a public street .

I'm not indignant and accept responsibility of my actions but each circumstance is different and we ALL make mistakes. Not condoning anything just giving some insight.

I recommend your nephew not buy a BMW until this offense penalty period is over and done and he learns not to get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while impaired.

As far as insurance goes, his ONLY option right now for reasonable insurance rates will be Progressive...PERIOD!

My offense ends this February(3 year mark) but the rate on my 550i X-Drive since this incident has been ASTRONOMICAL! My insurance payment is 2x what my car payment is and in essence over the time period FAR more than what my car is WORTH on a grand scale. Progressive was the only one willing to cover such an offense at any semblance of a "reasonable" rate.

As far as these ppl saying to try the "General"...the "General" came at me with a $5600 premium every 6 months. That's $11,200/year. The General is for people with bad credit, judgements, and tax problems, not DUI's.

I'm not here to judge OP or his nephew, just to pass on from my experience in hopes that no one else makes this same expensive mistake. It'd be quite a shame if everyone that passed judgment were held accountable for the petty sins that they commit on the daily.
So you firebombed the neighbor's house, right?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #51
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Man some of you guys have some radical opinions on drinking and driving. Yeah it's a shitty thing to do and who cares if it's for OP or his friend, dude is just looking for help he didn't come here to be scrutinized by people on Bimmerpost.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 4
Kyngofpop676.00
Efthreeoh16943.00
MWMM386.00
xander_g962.50
      11-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
It did come to my mind...

They've since moved but it was VERY tense after that and like I said, I accept responsibility for my action. I saw them maybe 2x in the 2 yr timeframe after that and they knew my work schedule so they we're never out when I came or left. The last time I saw them was 6 months ago when they left...good riddance.
I'd have some serious issues with such an ultra dick move by a neighbor. They should look up the definition of neighborly; but in this day in age we all hate each other for some reason...

Sorry to hear than happened to you.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #53
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

What you need to be doing is joining a MMA gym so you can learn how to properly kick your neighbors ass.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
Efthreeoh16943.00
      11-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #54
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Man some of you guys have some radical opinions on drinking and driving. Yeah it's a shitty thing to do and who cares if it's for OP or his friend, dude is just looking for help he didn't come here to be scrutinized by people on Bimmerpost.
He came to the wrong place.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #55
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Quote:
He came to the wrong place.
Not really man, there's people on this forum who have lots of connections and have gone through experiences similar to this. If you feel obligated to be a dick then don't comment.
Appreciate 3
DieselOG1673.50
MWMM386.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #56
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328iF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Yeah, this isn't going to go over well. I made a quick call to a friend of mine who runs a discount insurance office.

He said, here in TN, the quote through Direct General Insurance Company for SR22 insurance on a 2013 BMW 328i with no other history of accidents or traffic tickets was as follows:

500/500 comp & coll
10/50/10 PIP LIAB

$3,150 per 6mos.

Thanks! lol although its not for my 2013 bimmer, its for my cousins that he hasnt purchased yet
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      11-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #57
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Why don't he just do a quote and see lol.
That's on him I'm here to find tips cause he doesn't have an acc + doesn't spend time on forums
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #58
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you my man. Although these rude comments due inherently show the ego that comes with purchasing M's... for some
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #59
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Didn’t want scrutiny for a convicted drunk driver and came to the internet?

DUI is a shitty thing to do. It’s not an accident, it’s a choice.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #60
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Quote:
Didn't want scrutiny for a convicted drunk driver and came to the internet?

DUI is a shitty thing to do. It's not an accident, it's a choice.
So it's your civic duty to scrutinize him? Oh you're a real internet warrior now you sure knocked some sense into him, here's your gift! Move along buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #61
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Quote:
Didn't want scrutiny for a convicted drunk driver and came to the internet?

DUI is a shitty thing to do. It's not an accident, it's a choice.
So it's your civic duty to scrutinize him? Oh you're a real internet warrior now you sure knocked some sense into him, here's your gift! Move along buddy.
Have you considered the possibility that some people on the forum have been impacted by a drunk driver or know someone who has been impacted by one? Personally, I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to react harshly to a question from someone seeking help to find a way for an obviously irresponsible underage drunk driver to stay on the road.
MJBO2496.00
      11-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #62
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a drunk driver fly across an intersection in a Kia Sedona hitting the traffic light and it landed on my GTI a few years ago. I could've pressed charges as my sister and I had minor scratches and glass damage as well as whiplash. But no, People make mistakes, some of which can cost the lives of other people. It's not your responsibility to lash out and shit on someone looking for advice, things happen, the guy still has bills to pay, possibly a family to feed, needs a car to drive to work, etc. If you're so emotionally touched by this subject seek therapy and mental rehabilitation. Just my .02 cents.
So it’s ok for you to reprimand everyone else but no one else can have a view of their own? Get over yourself.
Run Silent15127.00
      11-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #63
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I hope this thread gets locked
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410876.00
MJBO2496.00
      11-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #64
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
I hope this thread gets locked
Agreed, given the stupidity of its subject.
      11-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #65
Caffeine Powered
Keep it moving
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Quote:
Quote:

I just fact checked myself, Its actually 1 in 7 in Minnesota, still about 15%. I believe the rate of dui's is higher here than other states.
Quote:
Quote:

Nah, Wisconsin surely has a higher rate. If we don't, I'll bet we have more with 7 or more dui's and are still driving.
      11-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #66
Mageshkk
Canyon Carver
Rep
Drives: 135is 6MT; 2000 M5;1991 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
I lol'ed. You can get a DUI on one of those too.
RUI