BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Trump to ban migrants from 6 Muslim countries

01-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #111
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I can't find where Trump used the term "Muslim ban" - where did he say that?
He didn't and it's not a ban. It's a temporary suspension of immigration from countries deemed to have a high risk of terrorist threat until a more formal recommendation can be made.

Now it does leave room for person's belonging to minority religions in the country (think Christians) to migrate due to persecution.

I may not agree with his policies but will admit its a well crafted, comprehensive document that covers a broad range of directives. I still think the majority of it is PR and that judgment on it's effectiveness should be reserved until we see the final recommendations and ultimately if, in the long run, we are safer or not as a result.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #112
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
My name is not Dude. I am not living in la la land, as I said that I did not believe that Trump's numbers were higher than Obama's!!

The time lapse is bogus, just like the photo comparison. You stop!!!
Your post read that way but you need to maybe edit in 'not.' You typed I 'do believe'...
The time lapse just sort of stopped and panned to end. ??
Ants were still scampering around. The whole day?
      01-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #113
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
My name is not Dude. I am not living in la la land, as I said that I did not believe that Trump's numbers were higher than Obama's!!

The time lapse is bogus, just like the photo comparison. You stop!!!
Bogus.. OK, sounds reasonable
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #114
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Your post read that way but you need to maybe edit in 'not.' You typed I 'do believe'...
The time lapse just sort of stopped and panned to end. ??
Ants were still scampering around. The whole day?
Corrected - thanks.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
MKSixer23519.00

01-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #115
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
He called for a complete "shutdown" of all Muslim immigration in December, 2015.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-r...im-immigration

If you're quibbling about "shutdown" vs "ban" they are functionally the same. I was responding to more nonsense abouts leftist conspiracy when it is clear that the label is the direct result of what he said.
What he said was "We must suspend immigration from regions linked with terrorism until a proven vetting method is in place."

He did clarify his (at the time) recommendation several times, when the media pressed him on it.

But "Muslim Ban" sounds so much more... Insidious.
      01-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #116
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
He didn't and it's not a ban. It's a temporary suspension of immigration from countries deemed to have a high risk of terrorist threat until a more formal recommendation can be made.

Now it does leave room for person's belonging to minority religions in the country (think Christians) to migrate due to persecution.

I may not agree with his policies but will admit its a well crafted, comprehensive document that covers a broad range of directives. I still think the majority of it is PR and that judgment on it's effectiveness should be reserved until we see the final recommendations and ultimately if, in the long run, we are safer or not as a result.
Thank you for your reasonable and rational response.
MKSixer23519.00

01-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #117
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Every country has the right to control its borders and decide who it will allow entry.

That is one of the reasons behind the visa system.

So while I have nothing as such against the ban, it just seems exceptionally badly thought through.

It does not include countries such as Afghanistan, Algeria, Morocco, Lebanon, Palestine (yes they have pass ports), Pakistan, Indonesia.

Those countries above are where a large number of terrorists are born (hold passport), additionally the majority are rife with corruption and places like Pakistan loads of fake passports.

Adding Iran seems strange, they are fighting against ISIS and there were a large number that fled Iran during their revolution, a large majority being highly educated and linked to U.K., French US companies since the revolution.

If it is down to needing a better way to vet people, then I guess more countries need to be added, as I imagine majority of Central African countries suck on controls.

If it is Muslim and / or terrorism, then say so and ban the correct full number of countries.

The current order just seems a very botched attempt by some clown that has not had an impact analysis carried out.

This should have been phased in over a number of weeks and not as it has been.
Appreciate 3
VRG_135794.50
c63er861.00

01-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #118
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Guess what, 1.5million americans killed by guns since 1968 versus 5 killed by refugees.
Refugees the bigger problem tho.

01-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #119
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

The restrictions stated in the executive order are not that extreme, the issue is it's being implemented differently.

There is nothing that says people with green cards can't return, it is crazy that they are blocking people with green cards. Green card holders were already vetted multiple times.

Families with green cards that went on vacation are now stuck. Again that isn't what the order states, but for some reason the administration isn't doing anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #120
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
The restrictions stated in the executive order are not that extreme, the issue is it's being implemented differently.

There is nothing that says people with green cards can't return, it is crazy that they are blocking people with green cards. Those people were already vetted multiple times.

Families with green cards that went on vacation are now stuck. Again that isn't what the order states, but for some reason the administration isn't doing anything about it.
There are several issues, all make the trump administration look incompetent.

Green cards were supposed to not be an issue but bannon said no.
Giuliani said trump asked him to help make a "muslim ban that looks legal"
No lawyers had a chance to go through the EO
DHS didnt even have a heads up what was going to go down.

Last edited by justinnum1; 01-29-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #121
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #122
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

I think I've had it with this guy. I'm a moderate Conservative who didn't vote for either candidate, but did favor Trump only marginally. I wanted to give him a chance but this whole entire thing is ridiculous.

Bush did this after 9/11 which made perfect sense, but right now there hasn't been any recent terror attacks that call for such drastic action. The attacks that have been done here were from home-grown terrorists. Even if he were to just ban or reduce the number of refugees it would have made a little more sense, but now green card holders are screwed too. Absolutely short-sighted and unnecessary. This is a real shame.
Appreciate 4
VRG_135794.50
c63er861.00

01-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #123
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I think I've had it with this guy. I'm a moderate Conservative who didn't vote for either candidate, but did favor Trump only marginally. I wanted to give him a chance but this whole entire thing is ridiculous.

Bush did this after 9/11 which made perfect sense, but right now there hasn't been any recent terror attacks that call for such drastic action. The attacks that have been done here were from home-grown terrorists. Even if he were to just ban or reduce the number of refugees it would have made a little more sense, but now green card holders are screwed too. Absolutely short-sighted and unnecessary. This is a real shame.
Right great approach there. Wait till they attack again then react. To be successful at war on must be proactive not just reactive. Last recent attack by foreign nationals was the Boston bombing, which was in 2013. Both of the attackers where born in chechnya.
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw2387.00

01-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #124
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

It just comes over as immensely incompetent, it seems to show that who ever was involved in the process of writing and reviewing this order is incompetent.

I have totally no hassle with any country restricting entry, putting in more secure entry requirements, even out right bans.

However, this has just been pathetically managed with obviously no impact analysis or planning or anything level of thinking.

I just do not see what it hopes to accomplish, it is missing some major terrorist producing countries, it is also likely missing lots of countries with crap passport and visa checking procedures.

This single executive order alone shows to the rest of the world and likely most Americans a new level of political incompetence
Appreciate 2
Germanauto4302.50
c63er861.00

01-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #125
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

So, you'd rather wait until there is an attack before we put a clamp down on refugees?
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw2387.00

01-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #126
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It just comes over as immensely incompetent, it seems to show that who ever was involved in the process of writing and reviewing this order is incompetent.

I have totally no hassle with any country restricting entry, putting in more secure entry requirements, even out right bans.

However, this has just been pathetically managed with obviously no impact analysis or planning or anything level of thinking.

I just do not see what it hopes to accomplish, it is missing some major terrorist producing countries, it is also likely missing lots of countries with crap passport and visa checking procedures.

This single executive order alone shows to the rest of the world and likely most Americans a new level of political incompetence
It's a 90- day moratorium on immigration, etc.

Everyone acts like it's forever (and the sky is falling).

Ironic you're posting this - maybe the Brits need to take a look at their immigration policies? Perhaps Theresa May will save the Empire.
      01-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #127
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:

There were three attacks in September from "refugees" - MN, NY, and OH.

Take another look at the "home grown" terrorists - of the minority that were born here, most of them are the children of radicals that were allowed to immigrate to the US in the 80's and '90's.

Here's more:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2015-09-09.html
      01-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #128
Stangorang
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

Ironic you're posting this - maybe the Brits need to take a look at their immigration policies? Perhaps Theresa May will save the Empire.
It is an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees, not a 90 day moratorium.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #129
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Quote:

It is an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees, not a 90 day moratorium.
And that's an even better idea!
      01-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #130
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
There are 4 Migrant centers in the town where I live and can attest to this. The migrants have destroyed the places that they are living in (old American Army Housing areas) the bordering communities have seen crime rates increase 200% and people are scared to go out in the night because of regular events that the local governments cover up as the standard. The police ( I have a few friends in the German Polizei) have their hands tied by the government as well, Arrest, record the name (most of the time more of an alias) and then sent them on their way...

To put it into perspective, 3 years ago only the Police had pepper spray (more like pepper joke) now the stuff is being sold in the grocery stores. Oh, Forgot to mention, if you do actually use pepper spray to defend yourself you can almost expect to be prosecuted for bodily injury if the attacker chooses to push charges against you...
I think David's post is important. I was born in Pakistan. It's not on the list but it easily could be. I am not going to talk of the merits of this temporary ban of 90 days for visas or 120 days for refugees.

What I am going to say is that as a Canadian brown dude of Pakistani birth - I am no longer visiting Europe. I think it's unsafe as David points out and due to my skin colour I do not wish to be confused for an Immigrant or Refugee in Europe.

I am also probably going to curtail my US visits until this sorts itself out. I do not wish to put myself at the mercy of The Department of Homeland Security - even though I am an atheist and have nothing to hide.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #131
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
There are 4 Migrant centers in the town where I live and can attest to this. The migrants have destroyed the places that they are living in (old American Army Housing areas) the bordering communities have seen crime rates increase 200% and people are scared to go out in the night because of regular events that the local governments cover up as the standard. The police ( I have a few friends in the German Polizei) have their hands tied by the government as well, Arrest, record the name (most of the time more of an alias) and then sent them on their way...

To put it into perspective, 3 years ago only the Police had pepper spray (more like pepper joke) now the stuff is being sold in the grocery stores. Oh, Forgot to mention, if you do actually use pepper spray to defend yourself you can almost expect to be prosecuted for bodily injury if the attacker chooses to push charges against you...
I think David's post is important. I was born in Pakistan. It's not on the list but it easily could be. I am not going to talk of the merits of this temporary ban of 90 days for visas or 120 days for refugees.

What I am going to say is that as a Canadian brown dude of Pakistani birth - I am no longer visiting Europe. I think it's unsafe as David points out and due to my skin colour I do not wish to be confused for an Immigrant or Refugee in Europe.

I am also probably going to curtail my US visits until this sorts itself out. I do not wish to put myself at the mercy of The Department of Homeland Security - even though I am an atheist and have nothing to hide.
Are you going to visit Pakistan? Would it be a problem there that you are an atheist?
      01-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #132
pz619
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Quote:

So, you'd rather wait until there is an attack before we put a clamp down on refugees?
Honestly yes. Because there hasn't been a major attack from one of those countries. On top of that look at the countries that are absent. We already have the most extensive screening process to get in the US. Want more vetting? Fine. Put that in place. But a shutdown is just giving into fear.

In the end it doesn't matter. It will be challenged in the courts and will be struck down. As well it should.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto4302.50
Lups11078.00