BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion What are you reading lately?

04-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #155
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

Garage List
I'm so glad to have found this thread!

Last week I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and found it to be excellent, especially for an amateur in personal finance such as myself.

This week I'm reading "The Richest Man in Babylon" after seeing the recommendation in more than one place.

Next will be either finishing "Sapiens" or reading "My Bondage and My Freedom" or "Improvement of the Mind" depending on the mood I'm in when I finish my current book.

All time favorite, "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.
2014 F30 328d ~ Inventory: M-Sport suspension / Dinantronics Sport Tuner / Apex Spacers / BMC Drop-in Filter / AFE Air Scoop / Megan Racing Rear Sway Bar / UR Front Strut Bar / CF Wrapped Interior / M3-Style Mirror Caps / Sequential Turn Signals / PSM Trunk Lip / Roof Spoiler / Splash Guards / LCI Radio Trim / Red Start-Stop / CF Double Slat Grilles / Rennline Phone Mount / Painted Reflector Inserts / Stud Conversion
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go4271.50
MKSixer23220.50

04-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #156
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post

Last week I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and found it to be excellent, especially for an amateur in personal finance such as myself.

This week I'm reading "The Richest Man in Babylon" after seeing the recommendation in more than one place.

Next will be either finishing "Sapiens" or reading "My Bondage and My Freedom" or "Improvement of the Mind" depending on the mood I'm in when I finish my current book.

I wish there was a way to give 100 "likes". You earned it with this.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 2
haagm58542.50
cmyx6go4271.50

04-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #157
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:

I wish there was a way to give 100 "likes". You earned it with this.
Thank you, kind sir. Here is the print above my desk, a constant reminder (when I peel my face away from the monitors).
Attached Images

2014 F30 328d ~ Inventory: M-Sport suspension / Dinantronics Sport Tuner / Apex Spacers / BMC Drop-in Filter / AFE Air Scoop / Megan Racing Rear Sway Bar / UR Front Strut Bar / CF Wrapped Interior / M3-Style Mirror Caps / Sequential Turn Signals / PSM Trunk Lip / Roof Spoiler / Splash Guards / LCI Radio Trim / Red Start-Stop / CF Double Slat Grilles / Rennline Phone Mount / Painted Reflector Inserts / Stud Conversion
Appreciate 1
MKSixer23220.50

04-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #158
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Anyone else love to read? I'm addicted to good books. I mostly read fiction - crime drama, mysteries, action/political thrillers. I read more in the summer, sitting poolside or at the beach.

Some of my favorite authors are Vince Flynn (he died way too young), Greg Iles, Nelson Demille, Dean Koontz, James Patterson (for quick, easy reads), Tom Clancy, and a new guy Jack Carr - former Navy Seal. I've read so many, these are off the top of my head.

I can't get into reading on my phone or a nook though. I have to have a real book, preferably a hardcover and turn those pages.

Who else is with me on the joy of reading?

EDIT - Wrong forum, sorry.

Absolutely will not read from a screen, have read a lot of the ex SAS Andy McNab's books,reading Remote Control again and must catch up on his latest books.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go4271.50
MKSixer23220.50

04-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #159
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Anyone else love to read? I'm addicted to good books. I mostly read fiction - crime drama, mysteries, action/political thrillers. I read more in the summer, sitting poolside or at the beach.

Some of my favorite authors are Vince Flynn (he died way too young), Greg Iles, Nelson Demille, Dean Koontz, James Patterson (for quick, easy reads), Tom Clancy, and a new guy Jack Carr - former Navy Seal. I've read so many, these are off the top of my head.

I can't get into reading on my phone or a nook though. I have to have a real book, preferably a hardcover and turn those pages.

Who else is with me on the joy of reading?

EDIT - Wrong forum, sorry.

Absolutely will not read from a screen, have read a lot of the ex SAS Andy McNab's books,reading Remote Control again and must catch up on his latest books.
Same here, I read for two years on a tablet but strongly prefer a paper book.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go4271.50
MKSixer23220.50

04-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #160
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Same here, I read for two years on a tablet but strongly prefer a paper book.
There is something about the heft of a book and feeling it in your hands. I actually don't like to check books out from the library because I like to be the first one to read the book. I buy them from deep in the storage rack to make certain of this as much as possible!!! I know...OCD. I'll discipline myself.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
haagm58542.50
cmyx6go4271.50

04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #161
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
There is something about the heft of a book and feeling it in your hands. I actually don't like to check books out from the library because I like to be the first one to read the book. I buy them from deep in the storage rack to make certain of this as much as possible!!! I know...OCD. I'll discipline myself.
It's like buying/building a new house, you can be the first one to mark it up, learn it, and care for it. If you choose to, you can share it with others.

I used to rent books but realized having them visible on my shelves is important to me. I refer back to them, let friends borrow them, quote from them, re-read sections, and enjoy remembering the major lessons from them as I scan their titles.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer23220.50

04-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #162
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
It's like buying/building a new house, you can be the first one to mark it up, learn it, and care for it. If you choose to, you can share it with others.

I used to rent books but realized having them visible on my shelves is important to me. I refer back to them, let friends borrow them, quote from them, re-read sections, and enjoy remembering the major lessons from them as I scan their titles.
Exactly. It's just as intimate and being able to revisit them as much as possible is nice. Well said!!

Appreciate 1
haagm58542.50