BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Any better wind deflector for G29

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Any better wind deflector for G29

One of the thing that G29 inferior to the rivals is the wind deflector. Other car manufacturers have automatic retractable transparent wind deflector. However G29 only has fixed meshes-type wind deflector which block the rear mirror.
Is there any better transparent wind deflector for G29?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
German1967
Lieutenant
German1967's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

See link below from a German forum. You will have to inquire regarding shipping outside of the EU.

https://shop.ur-windschott.de/bmw-z4-g29/
__________________
Hoc Lapidem Non Vi Sed Saepe Cadendo!
Appreciate 1
pukeko18.00

      01-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
279
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Other car manufacturers have automatic retractable transparent wind deflector.
Just curious but what other car manufacturers? ....My Jaguar and SLK both had mesh screens the same as our Z4 and I don't remember the Boxter or 911 I test drove having an automatic deflector either?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
10327
Rep
19,615
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
See link below from a German forum. You will have to inquire regarding shipping outside of the EU.

https://shop.ur-windschott.de/bmw-z4-g29/
Good find, is it Perspex part or glass?
__________________
Daily: M135i Motech #002 Family: X2, Weekend: MX5 30th AE
Past: X3M40d, M3CP, M4, M2, RRS, Mini JCW, X5M50d's, 335d, 330d, X1, 520d's & all began 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10222
Rep
8,706
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Good find, is it Perspex part or glass?
The link says "Wind deflector middle section for the BMW Z4 G29 made of 5mm toughened safety glass"

"packing and shipping within Germany 12.- Ä, within EU 19.- Ä

Other countries on request!"
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
JustChris10327.00

      01-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
German1967
Lieutenant
German1967's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

@SakhirM4 Thanks for translating !

Several folks on the German forum have purchased that glass wind breaker with positive results. Some noticed different air circulation as the original mesh let's air flow and the solid glass does not. But supposedly not a big deal. The visibility with closed top and the mesh in place is indeed not great. Hence, I remove the wind breaker during fall/winter. I was tempted to order the glass version ... just did not get around it yet.
__________________
Hoc Lapidem Non Vi Sed Saepe Cadendo!
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410221.50
JustChris10327.00

      01-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
kj57
New Member
17
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East TN, USA

iTrader: (0)

My old F-type had a mesh deflector, 300.00 option lol. Plus it was a PITA to remove and I always though the clips were going to break, at least the BMW one is on magnets.

I bought a clear plexiglass one for the Jag and I think it made things worse as far as wind buffeting then none at all. Plus the reflections, day and night, were pretty annoying. Best to just leave it out if driving with the top up for extended periods of time.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Major
713
Rep
1,122
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The only car I've ever had with an automatically retractable wind deflector was an E-class cabrio. Nice touch but not enough to make up for everything else that was wrong with the car.

I quite like the fact the mesh cuts down eye-level glare from SUVs. And if I need to go eyeball to eyeball with the person behind, I'm happy to step out and do it mano a mano
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:33 AM   #9
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
10327
Rep
19,615
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone actually taken delivery of a G29 without the wind deflector option?

In the UK it's part of the comfort pack and I'm not really fussed about the other bits that come with the pack. Thus it's about £750 for a wind deflector.

Reason for the question, I wonder if the rollover protectors that the deflector fits between still have the gaps to for the wind deflector?
__________________
Daily: M135i Motech #002 Family: X2, Weekend: MX5 30th AE
Past: X3M40d, M3CP, M4, M2, RRS, Mini JCW, X5M50d's, 335d, 330d, X1, 520d's & all began 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
CeEl
Captain
United_States
169
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Has anyone actually taken delivery of a G29 without the wind deflector option?

In the UK it's part of the comfort pack and I'm not really fussed about the other bits that come with the pack. Thus it's about £750 for a wind deflector.

Reason for the question, I wonder if the rollover protectors that the deflector fits between still have the gaps to for the wind deflector?
I vaguely recall reading from another poster who didnít get the wind deflector and had a heck of a time ordering / installing it later. Apparently, the rollover hoops are different, BMW doesnít seem to sell some needed bits, etc.
Appreciate 2
JustChris10327.00

      01-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
JustChris
General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
10327
Rep
19,615
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I vaguely recall reading from another poster who didnít get the wind deflector and had a heck of a time ordering / installing it later. Apparently, the rollover hoops are different, BMW doesnít seem to sell some needed bits, etc.
Thank you, just what I was suspecting.
__________________
Daily: M135i Motech #002 Family: X2, Weekend: MX5 30th AE
Past: X3M40d, M3CP, M4, M2, RRS, Mini JCW, X5M50d's, 335d, 330d, X1, 520d's & all began 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
279
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I vaguely recall reading from another poster who didnít get the wind deflector and had a heck of a time ordering / installing it later. Apparently, the rollover hoops are different, BMW doesnít seem to sell some needed bits, etc.
I remember reading that too.


Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
CeEl
Captain
United_States
169
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Thank you, just what I was suspecting.
Found the post - BMW does sell the necessary parts for retrofit, but it seems to be easier and less expensive to just order with car:

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...Wind+deflector
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
274
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think that a wind deflector is essential for this car and that BMW should have included it as standard in the UK, like in the USA.
Appreciate 1
JustChris10327.00

      01-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #15
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Just curious but what other car manufacturers? ....My Jaguar and SLK both had mesh screens the same as our Z4 and I don't remember the Boxter or 911 I test drove having an automatic deflector either?

Dave
As far as I know Lexus LC, Audi TT & Honda S660 have transparent automatic wind defector. Porsche boxster, Mustang & my old E89 Z4 can have transparent wind deflector (not genuine parts).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
See link below from a German forum. You will have to inquire regarding shipping outside of the EU.

https://shop.ur-windschott.de/bmw-z4-g29/
Thanks so much! That's great. Hope they can ship it to Hong Kong.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
CeEl
Captain
United_States
169
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Other car manufacturers have automatic retractable transparent wind deflector.
Just curious but what other car manufacturers? ....My Jaguar and SLK both had mesh screens the same as our Z4 and I don't remember the Boxter or 911 I test drove having an automatic deflector either?

Dave
Corvette C8 has an automatic clear wind blocker.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
The only car I've ever had with an automatically retractable wind deflector was an E-class cabrio. Nice touch but not enough to make up for everything else that was wrong with the car.

I quite like the fact the mesh cuts down eye-level glare from SUVs. And if I need to go eyeball to eyeball with the person behind, I'm happy to step out and do it mano a mano
The automatic dimmer of the rear view mirror actually blocked the SUV headlights good enough. But for eyeballing with the one behind you......depends on the driver behind you.....I don't mind looking into the eyes of the beautiful lady
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #19
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I think that a wind deflector is essential for this car and that BMW should have included it as standard in the UK, like in the USA.
True, fortunately in Hong Kong, the wind deflector is standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
279
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
As far as I know Lexus LC, Audi TT & Honda S660 have transparent automatic wind defector.
Thanks, that explains it; I've never been interested in any of those cars so I haven't driven them. ...actually I never heard of a Honda S660 (it seems they've never been sold in North America) but it sounds interesting. Hmmm; more reading - 63 hp, 85 mph top speed and a glacial 18 second quarter mile....I guess I know why they aren't sold here. LOL

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #21
jeffp1105
Private
United_States
23
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Found the post - BMW does sell the necessary parts for retrofit, but it seems to be easier and less expensive to just order with car:

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...Wind+deflector
This installs exactly like the OEM mesh screen for the E89 I had. That version was great because it folded in half and came with a storage bag. For me, bust of all worlds because you don't need to keep the glass clear and wind passes through. I didn't have much issue seeing through it and it cuts glare when the sun is behind you.

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
2020 BMW Z4 M40i, Black/Cognac/799 Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:16 AM   #22
Bigmouth Studio
First Lieutenant
Bigmouth Studio's Avatar
Hong Kong
73
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HKSAR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Thanks, that explains it; I've never been interested in any of those cars so I haven't driven them. ...actually I never heard of a Honda S660 (it seems they've never been sold in North America) but it sounds interesting. Hmmm; more reading - 63 hp, 85 mph top speed and a glacial 18 second quarter mile....I guess I know why they aren't sold here. LOL

Cheers
Sorry that I am slightly wrong, BMW did made a convertible with electric glass wind deflector: it's call i8



(1:45)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST