BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I won't buy a vehicle assembled in Mexico, including the next M2

03-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #155
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
They got more reliable? The Jetta turned into a different car because VW purposely made it for the American market. The country of assembly has nothing to do with design decisions. The GTI is also made in Mexico and it's more reliable and has better build quality than it ever has.
lol

No, the Jetta did not become more reliable after production moved to Mexico. It became a total shitbox overnight. Quite literally one of the least reliable cars the world has ever seen. Check your facts.

And if you're implying that craftsmanship and quality of materials suffers as a result of the demographic it is aimed at (and not the move or worker skill), then that's equally as bad, if not worse. If BMW follows in VW's footsteps and purposely makes the new M2 inferior (in some ways) for the American market, then how does that translate to the consumer being better off?

The scary part is that, historically, cars made specifically for the American market were typically compromised and worse than their counterparts. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe they assume that most Americans will buy anything. Europeans, in general, have a higher standard and definition of "quality".
My 1995.5 Jetta was better than my Grandmother's 1980's Rabbit.

The Rabbit wasn't very reliable and developed rust fairly quickly.

My "Mexican" Jetta had two QC (Paint,Rear Alignment ) issues but was comparatively more reliable and better put together.

Your comments aren't all that different from what people were saying when some 3-series were being assembled in the, then new, S. Africa plant. The SA plant became one of the best in BMW Group.

I do agree that BMW looses some panache with Made in Mexico. For decades they have subtly used "Made In Germany" as part of their marketing schitck and a party of buyers were convinced that it was part of the price premium.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #156
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The quality of manufacturing is dependent on the manufacturer's standards, not the country it is made. My experience with Mexican built VW's has been the same if not better than German made VW's.

Companies like GM, Ford, and Chrysler just make shit vehicles no matter where they manufacture them, because the company's quality standards are less of a priority over profits.

I still get a laugh from family and friends who "buy American" because it's better for the USA. The only thing American about GM and Ford is the soil where the CEOs park their helicopters, most of the vehicles are made with foreign parts. In fact the cars with the most American content right now are Toyotas (Camry). I'd rather support a foreign company that comes here and employs American workers, like BMW or the Honda small engines division compared to companies like GM or Briggs and Stratton that will just put whatever profits they make into expanding their presence overseas for cheaper labor.
      03-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #157
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The quality of manufacturing is dependent on the manufacturer's standards, not the country it is made. My experience with Mexican built VW's has been the same if not better than German made VW's.

Companies like GM, Ford, and Chrysler just make shit vehicles no matter where they manufacture them, because the company's quality standards are less of a priority over profits.

I still get a laugh from family and friends who "buy American" because it's better for the USA. The only thing American about GM and Ford is the soil where the CEOs park their helicopters, most of the vehicles are made with foreign parts. In fact the cars with the most American content right now are Toyotas (Camry). I'd rather support a foreign company that comes here and employs American workers, like BMW or the Honda small engines division compared to companies like GM or Briggs and Stratton that will just put whatever profits they make into expanding their presence overseas for cheaper labor.
Camary's with US made engines which have to be recalled no less!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #158
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
My 2001 F150 was assembled in Canada with parts "Hecho en Mexico". What's wrong with this picture??
      03-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #159
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
These bean counters are losing their mind.
Sooner or later they're gonna realize they're being penny-wise and dollar-foolish in the long run.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | MHD Custom tune | xHP Stage 3 | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #160
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
How about India? I just heard all Volvo's are manufactured in India then "inspected" by Swedes for quality control.
People still buy Volvo's?

Haha. Not even soccer moms are buying them anymore. Soon to be an all electric lineup. Can't see that being a good strategy but those Scandinavians love to save the world.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #161
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I do agree that BMW looses some panache with Made in Mexico. For decades they have subtly used "Made In Germany" as part of their marketing schitck and a party of buyers were convinced that it was part of the price premium.
Assuming labor cost is baked into the price, my immediate first thought when thinking about a car with the same price tag being produced in Mexico is "let's see, they probably save quite a bit in shipping to final US destinations, pay less in labor wages / benefits...but I'm paying the same price for the car still. Nice little bump on their margin there."
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #162
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Assuming labor cost is baked into the price, my immediate first thought when thinking about a car with the same price tag being produced in Mexico is "let's see, they probably save quite a bit in shipping to final US destinations, pay less in labor wages / benefits...but I'm paying the same price for the car still. Nice little bump on their margin there."
Perhaps, however IMO it's just a likely that without Made in Mexico the prices would be higher. Basically savings is found in a reduced rate of price increases. *shrug*

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #163
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Also a valid possibility.
Appreciate 0