BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Future Cars: 2019 BMW Z4 Roadster Render

02-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Future Cars: 2019 BMW Z4 Roadster Render

Quote:
BMW’s partnership with Toyota to co-develop an all-new Supra and BMW Z4 Roadster has car enthusiasts buzzing with excitement.

While there’s been too much hype surrounding the new Supra and its impending reveal, the limelight is now turning towards BMW’s Z4 Roadster after camo-clad prototypes were recently caught wearing significantly less disguise.

So let’s take off the tester’s camouflage and look at what’s altered from the Z4 concept that was launched last summer at Pebble Beach on the way to production.

Contemporary BMW Design

The outgoing Z4 has a sleek profile with classic rear-wheel-drive proportions. Luckily, its replacement retains that long hood and short deck appearance.

BMW’s twin kidney grille has become sharper at the outer edges and adaptive LED headlights mimic those from the concept. Sadly, the hood doesn’t quite retain those shapely vents from the show car and looks restrained in comparison.

Fender vents and scalloped lower doors add dynamism to the bodywork. Checking it out from the rear reveals unique LED taillights, angular bumper cutouts, dual exhausts and a ducktail-style deck lid.

Open Air Accommodation

Drivers will be treated to a much improved cabin combing luxurious with sporty touches. Styling elements of the Z4 concept remain, yet areas like the digital gauge cluster, infotainment display and switchgear will be familiar to anyone that has seen BMW’s latest crop of vehicles.

Technophiles should be impressed by a revamped iDrive setup incorporating gesture control and a large touchscreen. Wireless device charging, Apple CarPlay, Wi-Fi hotspot and BMW Connected services are also tipped to feature.

The Ultimate Driving Machine

Propelling the new Z4 will be a range of four- and six-cylinder engines. A turbocharged 2.0-litre four producing around 200 horses will kick off the lineup, at least in Europe and select markets around the world, while North America’s base model should get a 2.0L producing around 250 horses. Those wanting more oomph will have the option of a turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six in two states of tune, with 335hp and 385hp respectively.

Power will be sent to the rear wheels via an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission. There will be a six speed manual option, although some reports claim it will be limited to the 2.0-liter engines.

Platform-sharing with the new Supra suggests it could have sportier handling compared to its predecessor, but it isn’t expected to be the hardcore corner carver like its Japanese promises to be.

Topless Rivals

The 2019 Z4 will go up against the usual crop of topless sports models such as Audi’s TT Roadster, Porsche’s 718 Boxster, the Mercedes-Benz SLC and Jaguar’s F-Type convertible.

While its Gazoo-branded Supra sibling will debut at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show on March 6, the Z4 is tipped for an official reveal later this year or in early 2019.

Photo Renderings Copyright Carscoops / Josh Byrnes
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/fu...ter-flips-lid/

Last edited by supra93; 02-17-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Chris Rocks
Rep
Drives: Box with wheels

Lord I would kill for a coupe version. Looks like I'm leasing the ragtop and hoping they drop a hard top eventually.

Would probably love a Targa top ideally.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing ... sounds like very generic information, probably mostly (easy) guesses with what's already known.

Bummed that they say it may be 2019 now ...

Can't wait. Hope they show the car soon. Don't think it will be in Geneva, doubt they will want to still Toyota's thunder.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Chris Rocks
Rep
Drives: Box with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Thanks for sharing ... sounds like very generic information, probably mostly (easy) guesses with what's already known.

Can't wait. Hope they show the car soon. Don't think it will be in Geneva, doubt they will want to still Toyota's thunder.
2019 is the assumption for the more expensive models of the Z4 / possible Performance variant.

The G29 goes on sale this Summer, introduction in the Spring according to the majority of the reliable insiders.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rocks View Post
2019 is the assumption for the more expensive models of the Z4 / possible Performance variant.

The G29 goes on sale this Summer, introduction in the Spring according to the majority of the reliable insiders.
Summer ... I hope so! Not many car shows between now and then for a big reveal though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rocks View Post
Lord I would kill for a coupe version. Looks like I'm leasing the ragtop and hoping they drop a hard top eventually.

Would probably love a Targa top ideally.
Supra is the coupe version.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

More renderings by AutoBild.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
REDEV217342
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (sold)

I like it....especially the rear end
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post

BMW has actually stated that the production car will be revealed at Pebble Beach this summer.
Appreciate 0