BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Thoughts after a year

06-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #23
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Love the comments and point in this thread (with exception to the engine replacement recall!)
Makes me even more excited for mine to arrive, literally cannot wait!
The few drives I’ve had the contrast between comfort and sport with the adaptive susp. is awesome.

OP; (and others!) I’d be interested in your pearls of wisdom for the care of the frozen pain, mine will be frozen orange and a bit nervous about the management of it over traditional metallic finishes!
      06-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #24
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Makes me even more excited for mine to arrive, literally cannot wait!
Waiting too (since February). When do you think you'll have yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Waiting too (since February). When do you think you'll have yours?
Don’t want to upset you whilst you’re waiting what might be a while..... but

Monday I hope!

Mine is a used sale so is just being prepared for me

11 months old, 1700 miles, M40i First Edition in frozen orange.

Literally CANNOT wait!

Last edited by Sladester100; 06-13-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
BMWGirlFL6232.50
Romer73.00
      06-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #26
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Don’t want to upset you whilst you’re waiting what mine be a while..... but Monday I hope!

Mine is a used sale so is just being prepared for me

11 months old, 1700 miles, M40i First Edition in frozen orange.

Literally CANNOT wait!
Oh stop whining LOL.... you haven’t suffered until you custom order one and have to wait for them to make it in Austria, then follow it all the way from there to the USA...
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #27
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Oh stop whining LOL.... you haven’t suffered until you custom order one and have to wait for them to make it in Austria, then follow it all the way from there to the USA...
I'm in the same boat - build date for 28th week and expected delivery mid to late August. Arghh.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabu View Post
I'm in the same boat - build date for 28th week and expected delivery mid to late August. Arghh.
Worthwhile wait. Should be MY21.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 06-15-2020 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #29
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Worthwhile wait. Should be MY21.
Yep - it will be a 2021 model year. How long after yours is built do you expect it to be delivered? My dealer told me approximately 4-5 weeks. Same in FL?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #30
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep - it will be a 2021 model year. How long after yours is built do you expect it to be delivered? My dealer told me approximately 4-5 weeks. Same in FL?
Sounds like a reasonable estimate. My last wait was 6. When did you order?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #31
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

My Z4 M40i was delivered to me on June 13, 2019. My thoughts after a year are summed up as follows (after about 8,000 miles):

A blast to drive. I drive 90% in Sport Individual (transmission in Sport/not Sport +) and find this the most engaging. Sport + is great in the mountains or on curvy roads built for day to day the high revs are annoying and so is the constant burble.

I had no mechanical issues so far and have not observed any oil consumption (I did observe the break-in, have no mods and don't drive overlay aggressive).

The software has its kinks: CD is not very reliable, OTA - until recently - has been MIA and my car has not received an update so far.

My biggest gripe is the wireless charger that overheats my iPhone XS and shuts down ACP after one hour of charging or so.

I drive the car all year if the weather is allowing (not on ice/snow or when super cold due to MPSS); I drive my 2015 M235 x-Drive in bad weather).

The car is faster and more engaging than my M235 - but I still enjoy the latter as well (especially bad weather days or when it is super hot).

With the top down, the car is just perfect to drive.

With the top up over the shoulder visibility is zero and even backwards die to the mesh wind deflector is limited. Blind Spot detection feature is a must. I replaced the mesh wind deflector with a glass one that I imported from Germany - looks much better and provides greater visibility. A bit more turbulence but as soon as temps are above 68F that is not relevant anymore.

I don't like the Cerium Grey parts that much. In other countries (eg Canada and Europe) you can get the blacked out version and it looks much better on SFR with black wheels. But I don't hate it enough to buy the parts.

Overall, I cannot think of a more fun - luxurious - roadster/vert.... other than the 992 Convertible — that maybe next in 4-5 years.
Attached Images

M40i4me1014.50
      06-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #32
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually ordered a couple months ago but it was held up due to Covid and also the model year change at factory. Finally got a production number last week. So expecting mid-July build now and delivery in late August.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I actually ordered a couple months ago but it was held up due to Covid and also the model year change at factory. Finally got a production number last week. So expecting mid-July build now and delivery in late August.
I've had allocation/production no. since Feb. Production date is today.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #34
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ordered mine end of October 2019. I got it, with license plate and ready to drive on 02-20-20.
Delivering time when you want your personalized car has to do with supply and demand. I guess, demand is now lower than supply therefore you should have it delivered earlier than before Covid.
      06-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #35
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The problem now is that here in europe, car factories were close down for a long time.
So ad that time frame to the markets production schedule 😪😪
      06-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
Ordered mine end of October 2019. I got it, with license plate and ready to drive on 02-20-20.
Delivering time when you want your personalized car has to do with supply and demand. I guess, demand is now lower than supply therefore you should have it delivered earlier than before Covid.
Different market. Different variant. Pandemic. Happy to have more time with my current vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #37
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
My Z4 M40i was delivered to me on June 13, 2019. My thoughts after a year are summed up as follows (after about 8,000 miles):

A blast to drive. I drive 90% in Sport Individual (transmission in Sport/not Sport +) and find this the most engaging. Sport + is great in the mountains or on curvy roads built for day to day the high revs are annoying and so is the constant burble.

I had no mechanical issues so far and have not observed any oil consumption (I did observe the break-in, have no mods and don't drive overlay aggressive).

The software has its kinks: CD is not very reliable, OTA - until recently - has been MIA and my car has not received an update so far.

My biggest gripe is the wireless charger that overheats my iPhone XS and shuts down ACP after one hour of charging or so.

I drive the car all year if the weather is allowing (not on ice/snow or when super cold due to MPSS); I drive my 2015 M235 x-Drive in bad weather).

The car is faster and more engaging than my M235 - but I still enjoy the latter as well (especially bad weather days or when it is super hot).

With the top down, the car is just perfect to drive.

With the top up over the shoulder visibility is zero and even backwards die to the mesh wind deflector is limited. Blind Spot detection feature is a must. I replaced the mesh wind deflector with a glass one that I imported from Germany - looks much better and provides greater visibility. A bit more turbulence but as soon as temps are above 68F that is not relevant anymore.

I don't like the Cerium Grey parts that much. In other countries (eg Canada and Europe) you can get the blacked out version and it looks much better on SFR with black wheels. But I don't hate it enough to buy the parts.

Overall, I cannot think of a more fun - luxurious - roadster/vert.... other than the 992 Convertible — that maybe next in 4-5 years.
Looks awesome, such a bold red
My current F30 is Melbourne Metallic and I still love it. Not sure how I’ll feel with not having a red car when the G29 arrives!

How is the CD unreliable?

Also is your iPhone XS in a case? I’ve read reviews on wireless chargers generally that list this as a exacerbating factor for heat retention in iPhones when charging. Not sure if it’s makes a difference with the charger being enclosed in the centre though
Does the phone actually heat to a degree it suspends itself with the “overheat lockout” ?
      06-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #38
QueueCumber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Current: Z4 M40i; 997.2 GT3 RS

Garage List
I've had issues with the iPhone 11pro getting hot, but haven't had it shut down. I usually have it charging and playing music at the same time via Apple Play on trips that last 3+ hours. Phone does get super hot, and doesn't charge very efficiently (battery charge seems to creep up super super slow).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #39
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Tram lining...i.e., running in-line with tram rails...aka grooves in the road
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #40
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Happy birthday! 🥳
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      06-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #41
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
My iPhone 11 is in the Apple clear case. It gets hot, but doesn’t shut down. And yes, it’s more a trickle charge that prevents the battery from discharging - especially when the phone is used (I almost always have Waze running except for really short trips).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #42
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
My iPhone 11 is in the Apple clear case. It gets hot, but doesn't shut down. And yes, it's more a trickle charge that prevents the battery from discharging - especially when the phone is used (I almost always have Waze running except for really short trips).
My XS is in the Apple leather case and charges without overheating in other wireless chargers.

I think there are three issues:
- poor ventilation even with drawer open
- charging under load: phone will become erratic / drop ACP when in the charger and running Waze plus music
- positioning of the phone relative to coils (explaining why not all phone models seem to be impacted)

I am charging via cable on longer trips.
      06-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #43
QueueCumber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Current: Z4 M40i; 997.2 GT3 RS

Garage List
P.S. I don’t use a case on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
I've had issues with the iPhone 11pro getting hot, but haven't had it shut down. I usually have it charging and playing music at the same time via Apple Play on trips that last 3+ hours. Phone does get super hot, and doesn't charge very efficiently (battery charge seems to creep up super super slow).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #44
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My iPhone 11 is in the Apple clear case. It gets hot, but doesn’t shut down. And yes, it’s more a trickle charge that prevents the battery from discharging - especially when the phone is used (I almost always have Waze running except for really short trips).
Curious if your phone screen is on when using Waze? With my Volvo's wireless charger, I noticed that when I use navigation apps, the screen occasionally stays on and it gets very hot on the pad. Now I make sure that the screen is off and it seems to help. (FYI - I have an otterbox thin case and an iphone XR)
Appreciate 0