BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing HELP buying big size tablet

11-13-2023, 04:06 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

HELP buying big size tablet

I'm planning to do some music open mics and need to look at sheet music. Right now, I have a 8' tablet which just isn't gonna cut it as the screen is way too small, never mind when I'm trying to play in dim lighting. My guess I need something at least 15".

As such, I really just need a big screen and the tablet capability isn't important. Can you guys suggest something that is good for my purpose (heck, if there are discount laptops or anything else I haven't thought of) and maybe won't exceed CAD50? TIA.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:55 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

If it doesn't need to be touch screen, just get any cheap monitor (any size you like) and get a stick PC. They're small, cheap, plug right into the hdmi and can run Windows or Android.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
If it doesn't need to be touch screen, just get any cheap monitor (any size you like) and get a stick PC. They're small, cheap, plug right into the hdmi and can run Windows or Android.
Do you have any examples? I think that I may have been unrealistic w the CAD50 limit haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #4
jjFender
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

50 bucks? Tough to find a big tablet for that price. Maybe something second hand, and with a cracked screen (or otherwise compromised).

At $100, some more options open up on Amazon, like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Storage-Tablet...df_B0B2RLTDH8/

But still, the biggest you'll find for this price is a 10in screen and I would expect those cheap tablets to be low quality, slow, and have poor battery life.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 12:47 PM   #5
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Do you have any examples? I think that I may have been unrealistic w the CAD50 limit haha.
What's that translate to in US Dollars, $7.43?????
      11-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
What's that translate to in US Dollars, $7.43?????
You laugh, but we were once higher and we'll get there again someday!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrgggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      11-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjFender View Post
50 bucks? Tough to find a big tablet for that price. Maybe something second hand, and with a cracked screen (or otherwise compromised).

At $100, some more options open up on Amazon, like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Storage-Tablet...df_B0B2RLTDH8/

But still, the biggest you'll find for this price is a 10in screen and I would expect those cheap tablets to be low quality, slow, and have poor battery life.
Tx for this example. Ya, for sure I gotta be way more realistic in my budgeting LOL.

I'm ok w it being a lousy performer because I'm just using it as a screen, so as long as I can load my music onto it and the battery's reasonable (say 3 hours), that's enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Quote:
I was looking at some convertible 360 touch screen laptops on best buy that look nice and have more use cases.. but with your low budget threshold .. I'll pass. May have to bump that up a tad..
      11-14-2023, 01:03 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWholeBimmer View Post
I was looking at some convertible 360 touch screen laptops on best buy that look nice and have more use cases.. but with your low budget threshold .. I'll pass. May have to bump that up a tad..
Ya, I don't wanna buy used/refurnished, but, for sure, my CAD50 budget isn't gonna cut it lol. Maybe I was hoping for a miracle like some freak black friday prices, or thinking of just a bare screen (no computer inside) that I can just plug a usb stick into.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe I was hoping for a miracle like some freak black friday prices, or thinking of just a bare screen (no computer inside) that I can just plug a usb stick into.
Do you have Black Friday north of the border?

What software is used for displaying sheet music?
      11-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you have Black Friday north of the border?

What software is used for displaying sheet music?
We do but actually I'm very unaware and don't keep track of when it occurs.

Just basic JPG/PNG files any viewer should be able to display.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM16a5q

It's a full-on Android 12 device with Play Store. Think of it as a phone/tablet but without a screen. Plug it into any hdmi port and you're golden.

This is just an example, there are cheaper ones too. Generally I recommend MTK/Mediatek processors for cheap stick PCs, 4GB RAM recommended. And buy it from Aliexpress, Amazon sells the same stuff but at 3-4x the price.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 05:52 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM16a5q

It's a full-on Android 12 device with Play Store. Think of it as a phone/tablet but without a screen. Plug it into any hdmi port and you're golden.

This is just an example, there are cheaper ones too. Generally I recommend MTK/Mediatek processors for cheap stick PCs, 4GB RAM recommended. And buy it from Aliexpress, Amazon sells the same stuff but at 3-4x the price.
Tx, it looks great. My prb is that I just want a screen, if I buy that, I still need to look around for a display at the venue that they may not have, so unfortunately that won't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:26 AM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
How about a pocket video projector?????
      11-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How about a pocket video projector?????
$$$ and practicality aside, not sure how it would be w my back to the audience while I'm playing
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #16
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$$$ and practicality aside, not sure how it would be w my back to the audience while I'm playing
There are options under $50 USD, and you could figure out a way to use a white poster board closer to the floor between you and the audience as a projector screen.

I wonder if Google has any links for DIY teleprompter screens?????
      11-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Tbh, eventually I'd want to memorize my stuff, but starting out it's good to have a crutch just in case I forget.
Appreciate 0