BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Would you buy a preowned car from a Just preowned dealer.

01-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Would you buy a preowned car from a Just preowned dealer.

As some of you may know i have been car shopping for my son, soon hes gonna have his own car. However the thing is, would you buy a used car from just a used car dealership

For example. buying a E46 at a dealer called George Washington's motors?

I know im not buying from a BMW dealer, and the carfax is indeed clean, and lets say everything is nice and drives fine, and the price is pretty good as well.

Are there any Cons in buying cars from dealers like this, what would you guys look out for?

I also realize that most of these cars are bought from auction.

I think these dealerships may give out better prices than certified BMW ,Audi, or MB dealerships.

This would be my first time buying from a dealership like this, my previous cars were bought at normal dealerships selling both new and used cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

also what if they only have 1 key and no books, is that something to be suspicious with?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. As long as you have the service history and it checks out, it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

When I got my car I bought it from a dealership that sold cars primarily on Ebay. They just happened to be local so I was able to buy directly from them. The thing that put me at ease however was that they sold exclusively higher end cars. BMW, MB, Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, and a few Escalades. I got my car for around $34k in 2001 with only 9,000 miles on it. It had no books, and 1 key. However, I haven't had a single major issue with the car. I had to replace my key once over 5 years ago but it's been fine since. So as long as they look reputable and you get a good vibe from them I wouldn't see any harm in it. Just make sure to ask a lot of questions and test their knowledge.
      01-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

I purchased my e46 from a used car dealership that only sold luxury cars (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jag, Porsche) and so far have had no issues with the car. Just made sure the carfax came up clean.

However I really don't think your going to get a "better" deal with these types of dealers. The dealer I bought my car from was trying to sell it for over 2k what KKB stated. Obviously I got them down to much more realistic numbers.

Either way, I don't see them any different than a BMW dealership except for the fact that a BMW dealership can certify their cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

oh i see, well then theres some dealers that dont sell luxury cars but happen to have 3 or 4....what about those dealers, they sell mostly fords and chevys and stuff.

also where can you go customize a car like KBB or edmunds for a car thats gone thru 2 owners, i dont think KBB considers that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008

Its possible to get the car at a used car dealer and then get it fixed at BMW. He might not have the right computer to plug into the BMW.