BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Corvette Stingray

12-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #1233
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
So why did you spend the extra money for an M car? If you don't care about performance, acceleration, top speed, 0-60 times, lateral G limits, sound or any of the things that makes an enthusiast appreciate a car .... than why not a m235 or a 2 series convertible for that matter?

What is it in your mind that makes an M car great? Interior? Ride quality, fuel economy, looks, status ... what is it?

To me lap times matter, handling matters, acceleration and lateral grip matters, and yes, the sound matter. I like going faster around a track than theoretically faster cars. I like oversteer, and I like sound.

This is why I enjoy M cars. Or Mustangs. Hear the difference in that last one?
I would take a Mustang GT with PP1, Active valve exhaust and magnaride every day over an M4 or M3. Both cars are bloated but at least the Mustang sounds like it means business.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      12-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #1234
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Not once did I say I didn't care about performance, I said I don't care about lap times. Sit down.
Ok, let's play. So you drive only on the street. And you don't care about 0-60, 1/4 mile or track times. Than how do you define performance? How comfortable your seat is?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
      12-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #1235
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, let's play. So you drive only on the street. And you don't care about 0-60, 1/4 mile or track times. Than how do you define performance? How comfortable your seat is?
Really easily.

You hit a certain tipping point where you feel a push in the back or you don't. Through corners, a razor sharp track beast may actually be worse than a well tuned road car as it just cannot handle the crappy roads well.

On the street, you cannot get anywhere NEAR the performance envelope of modern cars.

I rented a GT stang, no Pp or anything and flung it around back roads in Nova Scotia for an hr or. Was a ton of fun, sounded like it had a serious attitude problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #1236
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refined View Post
You sure do assume a lot. Dick measuring contest? Feeling inadequate?

I care about performance metrics, not because I care how a given car compares to my neighbours car. I care because I love high performance sports cars and the metrics are an indication of a given platforms capability. I research all of my purchases to ensure that I am getting the best product for my hard earned money. Just because I view that more objectively than you doesn't mean we're having any kind of a contest.
But really you're splitting hairs. So it does 4.3 instead of 4.1. Really? Who fucking cares? It's not 1992 anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #1237
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Really easily.

You hit a certain tipping point where you feel a push in the back or you don't. Through corners, a razor sharp track beast may actually be worse than a well tuned road car as it just cannot handle the crappy roads well.

On the street, you cannot get anywhere NEAR the performance envelope of modern cars.

I rented a GT stang, no Pp or anything and flung it around back roads in Nova Scotia for an hr or. Was a ton of fun, sounded like it had a serious attitude problem.
But that's my point. You drove it, and it delivered. Acceleration, sound, edge of your seat feel. This other joker talks about appreciating performance without any quantifiable figures, while actively dissing quantifiable figures! Feel can be quantified too. So what is it? How quickly the heated seats turn on?

I'm an engineer. I need numbers.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #1238
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

No you don't need numbers. look back int he day yeah we saw big difference but there's very little difference today at a set price point, it's more down to feel.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      12-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #1239
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you don't need numbers. look back int he day yeah we saw big difference but there's very little difference today at a set price point, it's more down to feel.
And this is where we disagree then. Respectfully. Look at the videos I posted on the last page. I can tell you how my driving experience felt, and I can also point out on data graphs where the dip on the track was based on steering feel. It's all quantifiable if you record the right data.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #1240
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And this is where we disagree then. Respectfully. Look at the videos I posted on the last page. I can tell you how my driving experience felt, and I can also point out on data graphs where the dip on the track was based on steering feel. It's all quantifiable if you record the right data.
Track.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #1241
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Track.
And you point is? Street is just like the track, except you need to cut your data range in a third if not more. And your excitement also.
EDIT: My personal view, I can't fully experience a car on the street.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #1242
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And you point is? Street is just like the track

EDIT: My personal view, I can't fully experience a car on the street.
You've made my point.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #1243
Refined
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
You've made my point.
I think you're missing the point
Appreciate 4
5.M0NSTER3353.50
N54Yankee2706.00
See5449.00
3798j11167.00
      12-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #1244
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refined View Post
I think you're missing the point
I think that anyone that thinks they can get close to a pro drivers lap times, and therefore buys a car based on said lap times, is missing the point.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #1245
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that anyone that thinks they can get close to a pro drivers lap times, and therefore buys a car based on said lap times, is missing the point.
And I think anyone who thinks faster cars are the enemy is missing the point. The point is LEARN TO DRIVE!

Than you can enjoy any car. Regardless of heated seat warm up times.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #1246
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
So why did you spend the extra money for an M car? If you don't care about performance, acceleration, top speed, 0-60 times, lateral G limits, sound or any of the things that makes an enthusiast appreciate a car .... than why not a m235 or a 2 series convertible for that matter?

What is it in your mind that makes an M car great? Interior? Ride quality, fuel economy, looks, status ... what is it?

To me lap times matter, handling matters, acceleration and lateral grip matters, and yes, the sound matter. I like going faster around a track than theoretically faster cars. I like oversteer, and I like sound.

This is why I enjoy M cars. Or Mustangs. Hear the difference in that last one?
I would take a Mustang GT with PP1, Active valve exhaust and magnaride every day over an M4 or M3. Both cars are bloated but at least the Mustang sounds like it means business.
Hey, dentistry is a business bud!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #1247
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

This one time, on Mulholland, I was all proud of myself for reeling in a 996 TT with my M Coupe only to notice that a guy in a Miata was just casually hanging out behind us, looking bored.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #1248
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Is there a slack jawed yokel joke in there?

Quote:
This one time, on Mulholland, I was all proud of myself for reeling in a 996 TT with my M Coupe only to notice that a guy in a Miata was just casually hanging out behind us, looking bored.
#drivermod #likeaboss

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #1249
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a slack jawed yokel joke in there?

Quote:
#drivermod #likeaboss
He said the M3/4 didn't sound like business. But they do, just not the car business.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      12-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #1250
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He said the M3/4 didn't sound like business. But they do, just not the car business.
I was thinking blender business (like Ninja) but I see what you mean.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #1251
Refined
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Why do you assume that I think I can achieve those lap times?

Why do you think that anyone that buys a vehicle based on things that you don't care about is doing it wrong? If a car makes me happy, what do you care? Funny, it's the people in this thread ABOUT THE C8 that have no interest in buying one that are coming in here trying to convince all of us who do want one why we are wrong. How about you drive what ever makes you feel good (plush seats, German badges, whatever), and I'll drive whatever moves the fastest. At the end of the day if we're both enjoying our cars that's all that matters.
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
See5449.00
      12-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #1252
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Sounds similar to the time I was chasing down a 991 GT3 in my 135i. No Miata behind me that time. But I did have an E30 M3 with an engine swap leave me in the dust on a tighter road a different time.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #1253
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Guess who said this,
“you might be right there. i think i looked up the ZL1 time. Found a thread on the camaro forums saying the ss 1le is about the same time as a Z28 on most tracks. So around 7:37. Same time as a CS.”

This same person quotes drag racing times, trap speeds often enough as well as comparing cars on tracks with turns. That dude is dick measuring also then isn’t he?
———————————————
Since you posted this in the C8 thread and no one here has a C8 so dick measuring doesn’t quite apply, just guys shooting the shit with other car guys. Talking performance numbers is something the vast majority of performance car people do. If numbers weren’t talked about by people who buy these cars there wouldn’t be hundreds of sites, tv shows, magazines, blogs.... of guys thrashing cars to see what they can do and how to make them do it better and faster. Nor would be there a need for every perf car maker to get their new projects to tracks ASAP to lay down low numbers.

Many of us do take our cars on tracks when we can but it’s really irrelevant, most cars that perform well on the track perform well on the street also. Most of us when lined up at a red light side by side with a worthy opponent and there’s open road ahead and cop free will indulge in a contest of speed. Most guys talk racing and race when they can, on the street or on the track. It’s the American way and the way of many lands.

There are those who don’t talk performance numbers, hp, tq and all that good stuff but I think it’s limited to little old ladies, guys who are pissed because their ride doesn’t measure up and that metrosexual creep in pajamas curled up on the couch by itself sipping hot cocoa in the Hillary add a couple years ago.
quite a long rant you got there. You seem to be triggered.

so because I quote a lap time for the sake of discussion i'm dick measuring??

If you actually go out and buy car A over car B simply because you are beating the other guy by a car length in the 1/4... or you're a second faster around a lap... then you are dick measuring and you got some issues you need to work out. Again just discussing lap times and data, not saying someone should buy a zl1 or z28 over an civic f80, I know I never would.

It does sell. but so does a lot of other pointless stuff. like how everyone has a a big SUV now. A bigger drink at mcdonalds… people value quantity over quality these days. especially when it comes to performance. A model 3p will beat an m3 on a track and drag strip but I don't care. there are other factors to a car that are more important. mainly how it makes YOU feel when YOU drive it. If you need to beat someone else to feel good, well that's on you.

I used to care about straight line numbers in my 20s. Had an E85 GTR that was running a mid-10 1/4 mile. But the shit gets old. Anyone can do it...

good video by carlos lago of motortrend/Edmunds on this and how we are all obsessed with numbers.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS

Last edited by Humdizzle; 12-05-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #1254
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Not triggered at all, just seemed a bit hypocritical. As I said, I don’t own a C8, nobody else here does either and we’re all just shooting the shit having conversations about the car, it’s competitors and whatever and there’s always those few, you included, that are obsessed with chiding those who talk numbers like it’s beneath you. Yet they always can be found out to be doing the same thing they mock, talking and posting performance numbers on cars they have or don’t have, just like you did in this thread.

I enjoy talking cars including comparing times for conversational fun but I never once bought a car or didn’t buy a car because it might be a sec faster or slower. When I bought my Corvette, 135i or any of the other cars I’ve had along the way, being number one to the finish line never was paramount. I buy what I like for many different reasons, take my time to decide and I’m usually quite content with my purchases and enjoy making changes to improve them to my liking, good ole American hot rodding.
I’ve seen Lagos videos and read him before, he doesn’t impress me and really don’t care about his opinion.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 12-05-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0