BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Liberty Mutual Insurance

12-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
lenny_zwik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Silverstone / Sakhir

Liberty Mutual Insurance

To all my fellow BMW owners and Club members:

I'm pretty sure that at some point in time you've been pitched, or made aware of insurance coverage through Liberty Mutual. They advertise heavily in Roundel and are promoted at the dealership during the car purchasing process.

I've just received my renewal and to make a long story short, my premium went up 30% from last year which I find unconscionable and while maybe not a bait and switch between the 1st and 2nd years of coverage (this being my 3rd), it sure comes close. There have been absolutely no claims, accidents, or tickets. The only justification anyone was able to provide me was that my wife and I both turned 65, which while might justify some rate increase, doesn't justify 30%.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Well, I guess the both of you reached into the year group who are more likely to be in a crash and fatal ones
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Time to move on, try USAA if you are eligible.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try Amica. My rate has been stable for years.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

They need to pay for all the ads they're running.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
betak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i, '11 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
I've had them for about 5 years and I see a rate increase every year despite a clean driving record and zero claims/accidents. Minimal increases in year 1, 2 but I saw mine jump at the 3rd year also.

I'm still with them because in year 3, I bought a second car and added it to my policy. It somehow seem to "reset" my rates and they were once again competitive with State Farm and AAA. Fast forward 6 months and I sold car 1, premium decreased only about 20%. I called my agent to ask why the decrease was so small and apparently the multi-car discount is worth a ton in my case. Age didn't play a factor for me, single male in my 30s.

I shop around every year when I get my renewal, just to make sure I'm not being taken to the cleaners.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I would call them and ask.

Sometimes it is normal.

For example. Accidents in my area went up and as a result my insurance had to do a lot of payouts to their customers. So they raised everyone's rates the following year.

Still sucks but nothing I can do.

They're still cheaper than anyone else so I'm staying where I'm at.
      12-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #8
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Been with USAA, rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #9
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Been with Liberty for years but yes have also seen big jumps. I combine home, 4 autos, moto with them, no issues with me or my wife with respect to driving incidents for 5+ years.

Their service is pretty good (for insurance companies, which are one rung above used car dealers when it comes to business models) but they have jacked rates.

My favorite was the year after Sandy, my home premium went up over 25%. I called to complain as this is not how things are supposed to work.

They said they had lots of claims that year because of the storm. My retort "yes, but my house was not one of them: raise their rates."

<silence>

Its time to shop it around...

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 04:07 AM   #10
DmitriKozlowsky
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i Sdrive

uSAA if you qual/

If you ever served in Armed Forces (of U.S.), Coast Guard, Reserves, employed by Pentagon/Dept. Of Defense, or ABC agencies, or your spouse have. You probably qualify for USAA, which IMHO is the best insurer in U.S.A.
My lease on '13 135I Mpkg Conv. matured, and I leased 2016 Z4 35i Sdrive (with 19" perf rim and tires of course), and my 6 month tab droped by $130.
Not that much, but I expected it to rise, as I was returning a 52,500 car for $72,500 one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny_zwik View Post
To all my fellow BMW owners and Club members:

I'm pretty sure that at some point in time you've been pitched, or made aware of insurance coverage through Liberty Mutual. They advertise heavily in Roundel and are promoted at the dealership during the car purchasing process.

I've just received my renewal and to make a long story short, my premium went up 30% from last year which I find unconscionable and while maybe not a bait and switch between the 1st and 2nd years of coverage (this being my 3rd), it sure comes close. There have been absolutely no claims, accidents, or tickets. The only justification anyone was able to provide me was that my wife and I both turned 65, which while might justify some rate increase, doesn't justify 30%.
Appreciate 0