BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How true is this article re: car insurance?

02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

How true is this article re: car insurance?

... or is this reporter/website paid by insurance companies to scare people?

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...WT.qs_osrc=MSN
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Reads like a lot of other famous lies, such as "no really,I won't cum in your mouth....."

The article says the best thing to do is OVER-communicate issues to your insurer, like they are friend and looking out for YOUR best interests? BS, they are looking out for their own best interests. And what better way than to get you to do their dirty work for them.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
ajskydiver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d

"Failing to report such changes -- because either you forgot or you're hoping to lower your car insurance rates -- cost the auto insurance industry $15.4 billion in revenue in 2010."

Explains the most common reasons why the industry lost 15.4 billion in revenue and why a customer could be dropped for lying, lying by omission, etc. after a claim.

Basically, you may save a little bit of money by not being truthful, but if you need to make a claim and you haven't been honest, you may not be able to renew.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Yes, all that is true, Insurance companies will look for any reason not to cover you during an accident or jack your rates. This is why people get in trouble with doing insurance online, no agent so they think they get the best deal. This is why the Allstate commercial are trying to tell you. I had the same agent for almost 20 yrs until he just retired, and he use to tell me thing like how to reduce my rates or how to avoid not being covered. If you realize insurance rates are base on how many mile you drive a years especially for work, the closer to home your work is the higher your rates, since more accident happen within 5 mile of your home. So changing driving habits and other things like modding a car can cost you.

When my son got his permit, I called my agent and told him and he then told me how to change the policy to reduce my son's and mine yearly costs. Specifically I set up an umbrella policy with the home. I almost tripled my personal liability coverage for accidents and my car insurance dropped since I reduce the liability on the car and the home owners went up less than the drop in the car and my son insurance cost dropped from 1200 to 700 per year.

So not tell the agent could cost you and especially if there are any sort of claims against you the insurance company could choose not to cover you. It is not a game you want to play if you have lots to loose.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-29-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0