BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

10-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #727
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My LBS suggested a trainer specific tire as well. But that sort of precludes taking the bike outside on a nice day. You either have to deal with changing the tire or having an extra wheel complete with a cassette.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #728
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My LBS suggested a trainer specific tire as well. But that sort of precludes taking the bike outside on a nice day. You either have to deal with changing the tire or having an extra wheel complete with a cassette.
The wheel and cassette deal is the way to go. You can likely pick one up cheap from the LBS. They might have something used or forgotten laying around you can pick up for $20. Get a cheap cassette, trainer tire and you're good to go.
M_Six16536.50
      10-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #729
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The wheel and cassette deal is the way to go. You can likely pick one up cheap from the LBS. They might have something used or forgotten laying around you can pick up for $20. Get a cheap cassette, trainer tire and you're good to go.
I was just thinking I'd stop by there tomorrow and ask about a used or cheap wheel/cassette/tire combo. Makes life easier with the axle as well. No need to keep swapping that out.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #730
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
I agree here 100%. That’s partially why I have my other bike on the trainer. And also because I’m convinced my made in America 10 speed cannondale will increase in value 😬
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #731
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Maybe it's me but I wouldn't want to sweat all over my "good" bike. I'd get a beater for the trainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #732
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Maybe it's me but I wouldn't want to sweat all over my "good" bike. I'd get a beater for the trainer.
My "good" bike isn't anything special. In fact, I'll be investing in a Domane in the spring and may leave my current Crossrip 1 on the trainer for use on rainy days.

Just dropped a deposit on a Wahoo KICKR Snap, Garmin Vector 3S pedal set, and shoes. I'm hoping Zwift gets their Apple TV app out of beta here shortly so I can set it all up when we get back from FL next week.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #733
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Woof. Need that trainer. Just got back from a 14 mile ride in near freezing temps. Even caught a bit of cold drizzle. Good day to ride inside.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #734
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Headed to FL to escape the pending winter for a few more days?
      10-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #735
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Headed to FL to escape the pending winter for a few more days?
Indeed. And of course it's going to be nice here while we're away. Wish I could bring my bike to FL.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #736
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed. And of course it's going to be nice here while we're away. Wish I could bring my bike to FL.
Where are you headed? Maybe there is a rental/demo opportunity?
      10-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #737
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Orlando to visit family. Won't have much time for riding anyway. Wifey doesn't ride and she'd divorce me if I left her alone with my family.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #738
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Orlando to visit family. Won't have much time for riding anyway. Wifey doesn't ride and she'd divorce me if I left her alone with my family.
M_Six16536.50
      10-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #739
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Great ride today. Sunny and chilly, but I was dressed for it. Mostly helpful light breeze. Very light traffic and had a long stretch on a nice smooth road with a light tailwind and no traffic at all. That was cool just tooling along at 20MPH with little effort. Longest ride yet for me at just shy of 25 miles. It keeps getting easier. A few months ago I was happy to log 20 miles over a weekend. Ten miles a day. Now a 20 mile ride is easily doable. I need to work a bit more to get into the 30 mile ride club, but it'll happen.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
mc-m3204.00
      10-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #740
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great ride today. Sunny and chilly, but I was dressed for it. Mostly helpful light breeze. Very light traffic and had a long stretch on a nice smooth road with a light tailwind and no traffic at all. That was cool just tooling along at 20MPH with little effort. Longest ride yet for me at just shy of 25 miles. It keeps getting easier. A few months ago I was happy to log 20 miles over a weekend. Ten miles a day. Now a 20 mile ride is easily doable. I need to work a bit more to get into the 30 mile ride club, but it'll happen.
Hell yeah it will. You're kicking ass!
M_Six16536.50
      10-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #741
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

That Trek that my dad bought 20+ years ago, and my son got tuned up a few month ago? I rode it for about 9 miles yesterday, just to see what all the fuss is about.

1) The 'Nard REALLY needs to pick it up on the Bike Lane pavement/cleaning. I would have felt a lot better on a mountain bike! At one point, on a relatively busy 4-lane, there was a eucalyptus log I had to go around.

2) After said events, I stopped by to pick up a rearview mirror for the handlebars. Being on pizza cutters for the first time, each time I looked back I was swerving WAY into oncoming lanes.
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
M_Six16536.50
      10-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #742
whitextc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Anyone here using Zwift on a stationary trainer? Winter is setting in here and I'm going to move my bike inside in a month or so. I'm looking at Wahoo KICKR Snap. Zwift is supposedly coming out with an Apple TV compatible app, so that looks like a good way to go. Just wondering what others are using.
I have a Wahoo Kickr and I've tried zwift with their 7 day trial last winter. I was really excited to use it but my USB bluetooth and ANT+ sensor would constantly drop connection. This didn't happen with Trainer Road. It got quite annoying after starting a ride then lose signal...on and off. I may give it another go this winter for fun factor now that I have a new PC.

I didn't subscribe to Zwift after the trial and went ahead and signed up for Trainer Road. Its been about 1 year since training with TR and never looked back. TR's structured training programs are incredible. Anything from crit to TT to endurance, they have a well planned training program for pretty much any riding events.

Zwift definitely is more entertainmenting than TR....whereas TR is hardcore kick your ass for hour and half every other day with graphs and more data than I can handle.

Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #743
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I know folks who do both and switch back and forth. I'll check them both out.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #744
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

Stumbled across this thread and thought I'd contribute since my AW M2 was (partially) paid using prize money from racing. I spent a few years in France, racing for a living.

Then I decided to quit and become a grown up. Well, until I ordered the M2.

Was really happy to discover the bike fits easily in the back seat (using all sorts of wheel bags and blankets to keep it clean back there)!
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
wdb4673.00
      11-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #745
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitextc View Post
I have a Wahoo Kickr and I've tried zwift with their 7 day trial last winter. I was really excited to use it but my USB bluetooth and ANT+ sensor would constantly drop connection. This didn't happen with Trainer Road. It got quite annoying after starting a ride then lose signal...on and off. I may give it another go this winter for fun factor now that I have a new PC.

I didn't subscribe to Zwift after the trial and went ahead and signed up for Trainer Road. Its been about 1 year since training with TR and never looked back. TR's structured training programs are incredible. Anything from crit to TT to endurance, they have a well planned training program for pretty much any riding events.

Zwift definitely is more entertainmenting than TR....whereas TR is hardcore kick your ass for hour and half every other day with graphs and more data than I can handle.

Very nice setup.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #746
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh_SE View Post
Stumbled across this thread and thought I'd contribute since my AW M2 was (partially) paid using prize money from racing. I spent a few years in France, racing for a living.

Then I decided to quit and become a grown up. Well, until I ordered the M2.

Was really happy to discover the bike fits easily in the back seat (using all sorts of wheel bags and blankets to keep it clean back there)!
Congrats on the M2. Now you'll be racing with 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #747
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

After 47 years I gave up road biking. 2 bad accidents made me make this decision. However, cycling is in my blood and we have some fantastic trails at the beach where I live. So I bought a Specialized Cross Trail bike and picked it up yesterday. I rode a cheap cross bike on the trails and really liked it. Now I have a great gravel bike. Full CF, disc brakes, front shock, good components. Time to switch gears and no traffic to worry about anymore.
Appreciate 2
M_Six16536.50
wdb4673.00
      11-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #748
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
After 47 years I gave up road biking. 2 bad accidents made me make this decision. However, cycling is in my blood and we have some fantastic trails at the beach where I live. So I bought a Specialized Cross Trail bike and picked it up yesterday. I rode a cheap cross bike on the trails and really liked it. Now I have a great gravel bike. Full CF, disc brakes, front shock, good components. Time to switch gears and no traffic to worry about anymore.
Sounds like fun. Pics?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0