BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dirt Diggler: 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor First Drive by Inside Line

08-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Dirt Diggler: 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor First Drive by Inside Line

this thing is shit-your-pants awesome, imo
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Thankfully the graphics are an option. Not crazy about the grill either, but like it. Looking for a replacement of my Titan.

You made a thread that didn't make me want to choke you. Imagine that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
You made a thread that didn't make me want to choke you. Imagine that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

I always thought the SVT Lightning was a stupid idea (a road racing truck? really?), but this is an idea I think has merit. A factory off roader that will be (hopefully) be covered by a full manufacturer's warranty should something break while you're carving up the desert or whatever is a good idea. Looks like they neglected to add a snorkel though (or maybe I just missed it).

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

So was this the 400hp version they tested?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Not crazy about the grill . . .
I suspect the grille's an homage to 'Big Oly', the Bill Stroppe built Baja Bronco that Parnelli Jones raced.

http://offroadaction.ca/2009/02/21/big-oly/
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post

this thing is shit-your-pants awesome, imo
I am in LOVE with your avatar! I wish we had one here The last time I had some Jollibee was when I was in Cebu in '99. Good times
      08-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

It reminds me of a Bowler Wildcat but there is no question that it wont perform anywhere near as good. This looks like the only option for this kind of thing in US but not convinced overall.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]

Quotes from various reviews:

Quote:
Provides a staggering level of capability that doesn't make any compromises on pavement; a benchmark truck.
Green is in, and the Raptor allows us to explore all those far-flung places we're preserving without needing to pave them first. Share this logic with the Prius weenie that's giving you the stink eye and watch his head explode.
Quote:
All this hardware makes for very high handling limits off road, and we quickly learned that owners will need to build up the skill—and bravado—to make the most of it. Because of the inherent nature of the bypass shocks, the Raptor actually seemed to ride smoother the faster we hit obstacles; hold back or stab the brakes and the front end would compress violently over whoops.
Quote:
For example, the Raptor's electronic locking rear differential (E-locker) engages at all speeds, in any mode from 2HI to 4LO, with a simple pull of the drive-selector knob. Clicking the Raptor into Off-Road mode initiates a unique, higher-performance throttle map and shift schedule for the six-speed transmission. The result: more aggressive shifting with revs held longer and the flickability of a prerunner with the traction of a 4x4. Hill Descent Control, a Raptor exclusive, utilizes the ABS actuators and allows for slow-speed downhill crawling in forward and reverse, without ever touching the brake pedal.
Quote:
There's plenty of trucks, SUVs or whatever that can competently tackle a boulder. There's none available straight from a show room that are designed to run across the desert at 100 MPH. That's exactly what the Raptor does.

Push the "Off-Road" button, turn off the traction control and engage the rear axle locker in two-high and you're in the unofficial sport mode. This sets you up to tackle the loose surfaces, bumps, jumps and corners of your average desert. Point it down a dry creek bed or across the open desert and hit the gas. Add some corrective steering to overcome that slide and you're good to go. It's like driving your average pickup down a dirt road, only, in the Raptor, you'll be going twice as fast and you don't need that dirt road.

The triple bypass dampers absorb any bump small enough for the Raptor to actually make it over or cushion the landing off just about any jump. You'll find yourself going so fast - we bounced off the 100 MPH limiter without a thought - that when it comes time to steer around that boulder or cliff you won't realize how much you need to slow down until you're right on top of that obstacle. That's ok, because the off-road ABS programming has been tuned so perfectly that it can bring the Raptor to a rapid halt even on loose sand.
Quote:

Built at the F-150's production center, the Raptor rides on a chassis seven inches wider than its donor sibling, and according to one SVT fellow, "It just barely fits down the line." But comparing the Raptor to an F-150 is nearly useless. It makes far more sense to look at the Raptor as what an F-150 would be if it were the most intense off-road retail truck imaginable.

The desert doesn't present a single terrain: berms, washboard, silt beds, dunes, rocks, ruts and holes all mix it up together. There are some fantastic vehicles that are very good for a number of those terrains. And to be honest, most trucks out there could cover all the ground we covered. A Wrangler Rubicon would be hideous overkill if you just wanted to cover terra firma. But none of them, at least none that we've been in, could do what the Raptor does as quickly and as comfortably as we did it. Held back so that we wouldn't hurt ourselves, we did whoop-de-doos at 35-40 mph. Given a hot lap with one of the Raptor test drivers, we were doing them at 60-65 mph and above. In Baja you'd want a buggy for that kind of work.

But then you'd be in the hurt when it came to beds of sand and the wide-open stretches. No such word as "hurt" exists for the Raptor. Sand was a laugh. Open stretches were invitations to see how fast your SVT co-pilot would let you go. On that hot lap we did 100 mph more than once. And it was exciting, sure – but it felt about as difficult as drinking tea. That's how good the Raptor is.

And we spent the entire day in two-wheel-drive.

Beyond that there were two features of the truck that stuck out. There are several different settings for the Off-Road Mode that works in conjunction with AdvanceTrac and ABS. You can't turn the ABS off, but there is an off-road setting for the ABS. Press the Off-Road button, and the throttle mapping and transmission programs are recalibrated. Press the AdvanceTrac button after that, and you get an Off-Road Sport mode that tells the Raptor you need some latitude when it comes to wheelspin, sliding and braking. The difference stood out most in the sand, when the truck let you slide around more, yet unlike some other off-road systems we've sampled, it didn't just cut power if it decided you needed help. There are vehicles out there that force you to make a devil's bargain between maintaining a conservative line or getting bogged down in the sand by the supposed driver's aids. The Raptor does not.

The ABS braking is also altered slightly. It relaxes a bit so that when you make a hard stop, the wheels will lock up some and allow sand to build up in front of them, shortening the braking distance.

The other feature we noted was Hill Descent. The same as on the F-150, it offers the kind of control we like. As opposed to a set speed or speeds, you control how fast you go, up to 20 mph. Once you let off the gas the Raptor holds that speed. If you hit the accelerator again, the Raptor holds that new speed. Hit the brake, the Raptor then holds that speed.
Quote:
The Raptor can do things we didn’t think were possible in a factory pickup. We don’t really know or care how it was given the OK by Ford’s attorneys. The fact is, it’s available now and it’s virtually perfect for the application for which it’s built. We’re just happy Ford’s legal eagles must like their Raptor as much as we do.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

That thing is COOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I like it, how much?
      08-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That's pretty awesome and I don't even like trucks. I'd love to get an STI out on those dusty sweepers they had...

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ford unveiled its 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor back in November, but made no mention at the time of anticipated pricing. Over the weekend, Ford officially announced the high-performance truck will start at $38,995 for the 5.4-liter version and $41,995 for the ballsier 6.2-liter edition. A luxury package with 10-way adjustable leather seats will add $1,995, while the exterior graphics package (shown in some photos) will cost $1,075. An interior accent package for $395 adds orange mesh trim and orange seat inserts.

The off-road truck is powered by an updated version of the regular F-150’s 5.4-liter Triton V8 three-valve engine, delivering 320 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. Also available will be a new 6.2-liter Boss V8 engine recently developed by the automaker, deliver 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

They are on the ground. This blue isn't bad. $44,300.00

I know it has alot of beefed up components and is new and all but he fact that you can walk to any other truck on their lot and get 5-10-15K off....

What is this in the back?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
They are on the ground. This blue isn't bad. $44,300.00

I know it has alot of beefed up components and is new and all but he fact that you can walk to any other truck on their lot and get 5-10-15K off....

True. I've never been one to buy into the factory truck "performance" offers.

I'd rather buy a regular truck and pick and choose my mods to look different from everything else. That and you usually end up saving money by doing so.

I do think it looks cool...although the FORD across the grill is too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If I had "tossable" money I would snag one of these right now. Ready to rock right out of the box.

I love to go out and beat the snot out of my kidneys. This one seems to be able to handle some intense abuse.

That being said, I will wait to see when discounts appear.

Someone please tell me what that growth is on the rear cab wall....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:

That's the cargo extender/organizer.

I would so totally buy this thing if I had the disposable income to get a second car or if I needed a new vehicle right now. Pretty much around MSRP of what my 3 was and it is so much more badass. The only thing is I might need a ladder to get into one seeing I'm only 5'6", but it would be worth it. I hope these are still in production in a few years so I can get one, gas mileage be damned.
      08-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ How does it work?

I found a black one that is being discounted 4 grand....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
^ How does it work?

I found a black one that is being discounted 4 grand....

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...#page=Feature7
      08-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

It sure does not look like enough segments to stretch out like in the pic???

Built out a white one with black leather. $41,720 w/ the pkgs I like.

Weird that a cloth type surface is not available for an off road style truck. The interior is almost too nice to get in if you have crap all over yourself. From dirt biking or rafting etc....

EDIT: From the build page I am guessing you can get cloth with the blue and orange only???? Configurator locked up on me but I found this pic. Leather may get destroyed. Me likey whitey.
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 08-26-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

i shat in and around my pants. i love this truck.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I actually like the graphics on the white. The bigger boy motor comes out in a few months. I may have found my next truck.

Nothing about its cornering ability is wayward, imprecise or challenging. In fact, its far more able than the stock F-150 and is capable of pulling .83 G on the skidpad, which is nearly as much grip as the stock 2010 Ford Mustang GT. 0-60 takes 8.2 seconds, well, if the gearbox cooperates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0