BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Dream garage essentials?

03-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #67
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious if by installing a minisplit in the garage if that would then be considered "living space" and add to the square footage of the home? If it does, I may do a dual zone. One for the garage and another for the back patio we are planning to enclose.
I think you would also need a permit from the city/state to officially convert it to a living space. This would then require the area to meet the codes for a living space including insulation, electrical, etc. They will also grab their pound of flesh.
Not sure on this, but I am in the middle of some renovations and permits/inspections are currently a big pain.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #68
slickgt1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious if by installing a minisplit in the garage if that would then be considered "living space" and add to the square footage of the home? If it does, I may do a dual zone. One for the garage and another for the back patio we are planning to enclose.
So as a contractor. I would say no. To make a garage be re-class as living space, you would need to remove garage door, put in windows and normal doors. NYC at least. There are still ways around that as well.

The back patio is iffy. Most likely you cannot enclose it without proper permits and filings. Even companies offering the service to you, usually just do it, without any sort of approval process. Again NYC, your local jurisdiction may be different.

Even closing the patio, you can get away with it until the neighbors complain. But mini-split won't affect this status either way.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #69
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

In my rural township there was no mention of additional fees for having a mini-split in the garage. Or much else beyond inspections and taxes. Safe construction and square footage is all they cared about.

I love the mini-split BTW.
Appreciate 1