BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Powerlifting and Crossfit: Best Lifts

02-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #265
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
No worries brother, we like the enthusiasm!

I haven’t tried knee wraps as that’s more then I would need. However I do use Mark Bells STrong sleeves which I just replaced with his Extreme X knee sleeves. I am a High bar squatter. I stopped low Bar few years ago as it was bothering my back and hip. I also use a modified Wendler 531. What is this app you speak of??? I’m also a volume freak!
It's called zero to hero. Now I'm on Android...sho I don't know if Apple has it.

But after downloading the app, you can choose between bodybuilding and powerlifting setups.....that drills down into the different programs. On the powerlifting side, there are 3-4 variations of Wendler stuff. I'm doing the Nsuns variety.

But you enter your 1RM, and it will program out the next 4-6 weeks of lifts with weights and reps that you use. It has a between set adjustable timer for rest periods, and then you can add accessory exercises in to catch the stuff that the main program doesn't hit such as bicep, tricep, etc.

It's pretty cool and as long as you are feeding honest data in, you can't help but progress. At the end, you just tell it to program the next "wave" and it will recalculate your 1 RM off of your best lifts. Because at one point or another in your programming, you will have a AMRAP set or "As many reps as possible".

That set will determine your new 1RM. If you get it....let me know if you have any questions. It's a free app......and it has a lot of funcationalty built into it for endless possibilities!
      02-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #266
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Not at all dude somewhere in here are probably my best lifts also not an issue. I'm searching for 1200lb total this year ar 47.
Awesome!

That's a respectable number for any age. You see so many people in the gym year after year and they make no progress.

Being consistent and having a goal is the big secret. But most people don't want to put in the work, and they want it now....not later.

That's why I love old school physiques. They worked hard and it showed. You can just look at someone and the density of the muscle they are carrying and just know that they have been putting in the work.

I'm pretty much an introvert in the gym, and I stay covered up outside the gym. But if people approach me and ask questions, I do my best to help them.
      02-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #267
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Thanks sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #268
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
It's called zero to hero. Now I'm on Android...sho I don't know if Apple has it.

But after downloading the app, you can choose between bodybuilding and powerlifting setups.....that drills down into the different programs. On the powerlifting side, there are 3-4 variations of Wendler stuff. I'm doing the Nsuns variety.

But you enter your 1RM, and it will program out the next 4-6 weeks of lifts with weights and reps that you use. It has a between set adjustable timer for rest periods, and then you can add accessory exercises in to catch the stuff that the main program doesn't hit such as bicep, tricep, etc.

It's pretty cool and as long as you are feeding honest data in, you can't help but progress. At the end, you just tell it to program the next "wave" and it will recalculate your 1 RM off of your best lifts. Because at one point or another in your programming, you will have a AMRAP set or "As many reps as possible".

That set will determine your new 1RM. If you get it....let me know if you have any questions. It's a free app......and it has a lot of funcationalty built into it for endless possibilities!
I checked, not available on iPhone...bummer Guess I’ll keep doing my own calculations. Thanks tho
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #269
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked, not available on iPhone...bummer Guess I’ll keep doing my own calculations. Thanks tho
Sorry about that. I'm sure that the iPhone has to have some apps that are Wendler related. His program gave me the most success. I've done a lot too.

Before this app came along, I always had spreadsheets with me in the gym!

I remember doing Smolev Jr for bench and legs in different cycles......brutal.

But Wendler took the best of Westside and tweaked it. I've been using it ever since.

But you guys have been doing this for awhile as well and making fantastic progress. So I think it really boils down to us just knowing our bodies!
      02-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #270
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about that. I'm sure that the iPhone has to have some apps that are Wendler related. His program gave me the most success. I've done a lot too.

Before this app came along, I always had spreadsheets with me in the gym!

I remember doing Smolev Jr for bench and legs in different cycles......brutal.

But Wendler took the best of Westside and tweaked it. I've been using it ever since.

But you guys have been doing this for awhile as well and making fantastic progress. So I think it really boils down to us just knowing our bodies!
Without a doubt Wendler 531 has produced the most gains for me. I apply it to all my big lifts. When I was Olympic lifting and hurt my wrist, all I did was squat and pull. I tried Cory Gregory’s Squat Everyday program. Had very good success with that also. Now I do the modified Wendler.

Gotta love big Jim Wendler, ever since I saw him on Barbell Shrugged I was a fan. Very smart and interesting guy.

Yes definitely know my body at my age. Rest my CNS and train smarter! Thanks for the info bro.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #271
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In the past week:

Bench 305 - 8 reps.....last one was a struggle.
OHP - 185 - 7 reps
D.L. - 365 - 9 reps

Squat 315 - 11 reps..... I may start bumping the weight on this one. My legs grow best at high reps though. My only issue is I have to watch is that they grow too fast. I went for years looking so "lop-sided" because my upper body hadn't caught up to my legs.

I expect these numbers to start coming down slightly though. In a few weeks I will be adjusting my calorie intake down to slowly start cutting. I was 201lbs this morning. Last summer, I was sitting right around the 185lb mark....this summer I hope to be closer to the 190lb area and as lean or leaner.

I put in some hard work this off-season, so I hope that I gained a few lbs of quality muscle!
      02-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #272
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Damn that's good
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #273
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn that's good
Thanks.

My lifts used to always be above average, but after 4+ years of Wendler...they really took off. It seemed my body liked training in the 3-5 rep range.

Only in the last 2 years did I start upping the reps again. Those low reps really build strength, but the higher reps and focusing on more "Time under Tension" seems to be the key to gaining size for me.

I swear...I wish I knew all this in my 20's!
      02-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #274
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Always LOL.

It's the price we pay for what we do. Same with shirts. If I find anything that fits me nicely in the arms and shoulders, the mid-section is big enough to make me look pregnant!
try bonobos athletic fit for pants - i've had good luck with them. shirts are impossible. i've tried everything...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #275
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

My lifts used to always be above average, but after 4+ years of Wendler...they really took off. It seemed my body liked training in the 3-5 rep range.

Only in the last 2 years did I start upping the reps again. Those low reps really build strength, but the higher reps and focusing on more "Time under Tension" seems to be the key to gaining size for me.

I swear...I wish I knew all this in my 20's!
Yeah I've always liked low reps also. Doing a 3x4 right now weekly on squat bench and dead on Wednesdays. Trying to get to 1000 lb total for those 3 and should get me my 1200 1rm for the 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #276
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've always liked low reps also. Doing a 3x4 right now weekly on squat bench and dead on Wednesdays. Trying to get to 1000 lb total for those 3 and should get me my 1200 1rm for the 3.
I hear ya guys. As I’ve gotten older the switch up to Wendler and lower reps has benefited me big time. Stronger now then in my 30s, and more fit over all with a balance of strength speed endurance. I am currently trying to get my mile time under 7mins while maintaining my strength numbers. Tough task at my age.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #277
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya guys. As I’ve gotten older the switch up to Wendler and lower reps has benefited me big time. Stronger now then in my 30s, and more fit over all with a balance of strength speed endurance. I am currently trying to get my mile time under 7mins while maintaining my strength numbers. Tough task at my age.
That is awesome. I will be the first to admit my endurance needs more work. Last summer when I was hitting the treadmill hard, I was still in the 8 minute range.

But I have this fear of eating up muscle tissue with too much cardio. I know it's "gym science" and as long as you are doing something to stimulate muscle retention and have your diet on point...it's not a big issue.

But I'm old and old habits die hard!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #278
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achappell8 View Post
try bonobos athletic fit for pants - i've had good luck with them. shirts are impossible. i've tried everything...
Cool....I will a look.

I have had some luck with that company called Untucked. I have a couple of shirts from them actually fit pretty decently.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #279
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is awesome. I will be the first to admit my endurance needs more work. Last summer when I was hitting the treadmill hard, I was still in the 8 minute range.

But I have this fear of eating up muscle tissue with too much cardio. I know it's "gym science" and as long as you are doing something to stimulate muscle retention and have your diet on point...it's not a big issue.

But I'm old and old habits die hard!
That’s definitely a fear of mine also, but I limit the distance and keep it more short runs, or workouts with 200m or 400m runs mixed in. I do a lot of weighted/vest runs and workouts. I like to keep it varied. I do use HMB which has helped retain muscle as I’ve gotten into my 40s.

As for the jeans/shirts dilemma, take a look at Hylete. They now make casual wear. Jeans shirts etc. Made for athletic builds. I love their stuff, I have a ton.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #280
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s definitely a fear of mine also, but I limit the distance and keep it more short runs, or workouts with 200m or 400m runs mixed in. I do a lot of weighted/vest runs and workouts. I like to keep it varied. I do use HMB which has helped retain muscle as I’ve gotten into my 40s.

As for the jeans/shirts dilemma, take a look at Hylete. They now make casual wear. Jeans shirts etc. Made for athletic builds. I love their stuff, I have a ton.
Nice....thanks for the tip!

For a lot of our cardio, we go outside and do some tire flipping, ropes, farmers carrys, etc. Our gym is starting to develop a pretty big powerlifting base!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #281
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm now hearing I can declare as a women and compete in usapl and clean up!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #282
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm now hearing I can declare as a women and compete in usapl and clean up!
I've already seen a few pics of "guys/gals" that have crossed over into the other genders sports.

But you know what...I laugh about it because for the most part...they brought it upon themselves. And they are past a turning point as they can't say anything about it now....just look at how Martina Navratilova got railed for basically saying what is the truth.

I don't care what type of male blocking / female enhancing hormones you take...your body composition is always going to be different and it does make an unfair playing field.

But they can reap what they sow as they opened that can of worms and supported it when it benefitted them to do so.
      02-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #283
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Thanks guys.....those are probably my best 1 RM's. Crazy thing is I never knew what a knee wrap was until I was in the 365lb range. Had a guy at the gym asked me if I wrapped....I was like what is that. He showed me and my squat took off.

We currently are using a modified Wendler Split, so I haven't tested my 1rm. The program is an app on our phone, and it calculates workload every week based on what you did to figure out a 1 RM.

So my last bench workout was multiple sets of triples at 295Lbs, and then a back-off set of 275 lbs where you do as many reps as possible. I hit 11 reps...so my phone says my new 1RM is around 375lbs.

So the next "wave" it will load all my %'s around the newly calculated 1RM.

Honestly I haven't tried a true 1RM in about 12 months. That was the last time when I did the St. Judes's bench contest. I won my class with a 360lb bench, but I could have done more. I just picked the guy that had the heaviest attempts in my class, and stayed 10lbs ahead of him each lift.

Afterwards when my elbow started hurting, I figured I had been tempting fate long enough, and I wanted to start being more pro-active about my joints and cardiovascular health.

I'm a fitness nut....I get blood-work done multiple times a year, and I have a great sports doctor. So I'm constantly watching everything.

I refuse to believe that you still can't progress even at our ages! It's just a slower process.

I will make sure to stop in here more. I just joined because of the car I bought, but didn't realize there was a health section in it. I think I can be very helpful in some things as I have used a ton of OTC products for everything from general health to my progression in the gym. And I have data from a Dr. who I tell about everything I try and we actually test to see if things are doing what they really say they do. Some is subjective, but others really make an impact.
You and I are similar in our training regimen. I am 40 (41 in March), and I have been training since 2010. Over the years I went from knowing nothing to following YouTubers such as Scooby, Elliot Hulse, Omar Isuf, and shit ton of strength coaches. It wasn't until I came across SL 5*5 that I started making serious strength gains. I was meticulous, and made notes of my warm up sets, working sets and rest intervals. But after doing it for a couple of years I decided to take a break from it (due to tendinitis in my knee, and elbow). I started PT, and fortunately my PT was a powerlifter, and helped me tremendously with getting to full recovery. He suggested that I try Jim Wendler 5 31; I downloaded the app and started playing with it. A year later I had made massive gains, but almost at 40 I was constantly sore, and recovery was absolutely crap. I have since had my blood and hormone panels done and my t-levels are in the low 300 ng/dl range.

How is your recovery with JM 5x3x1? What are your t-levels (if you don't mind me asking)? And how do you keep them optimized? For years I have followed Labdoor, and Examine.com to order and use the supplements but to no avail. I recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3, ZMA ( based on some of the articles I have read) but I am seriously considering TRT if things don't get better. What do you suggest?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #284
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
You and I are similar in our training regimen. I am 40 (41 in March), and I have been training since 2010. Over the years I went from knowing nothing to following YouTubers such as Scooby, Elliot Hulse, Omar Isuf, and shit ton of strength coaches. It wasn't until I came across SL 5*5 that I started making serious strength gains. I was meticulous, and made notes of my warm up sets, working sets and rest intervals. But after doing it for a couple of years I decided to take a break from it (due to tendinitis in my knee, and elbow). I started PT, and fortunately my PT was a powerlifter, and helped me tremendously with getting to full recovery. He suggested that I try Jim Wendler 5 31; I downloaded the app and started playing with it. A year later I had made massive gains, but almost at 40 I was constantly sore, and recovery was absolutely crap. I have since had my blood and hormone panels done and my t-levels are in the low 300 ng/dl range.

How is your recovery with JM 5x3x1? What are your t-levels (if you don't mind me asking)? And how do you keep them optimized? For years I have followed Labdoor, and Examine.com to order and use the supplements but to no avail. I recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3, ZMA ( based on some of the articles I have read) but I am seriously considering TRT if things don't get better. What do you suggest?

To be perfectly honest, I'm on TRT therapy. I'm 45, and my doctor prescribed it to me at age 42. I was in the mid 250 range. Right now I'm taking 80mg a week. I was going to him once every two weeks, but the half-life of my prescription had my E2 levels all over the place.

I've been with the same doctor for over 20 years and he is very cool about it. I took him in some research from Dr. Chrysler.....I believe that's his name spelling, who is an expert in the field. He suggests a much more frequent pinning schedule. My doctor told me that once I got my bottle, it was my decision.

So about a year ago, I started backloading slin pins and pinning everyday. So much easier, plus it seems to elevate your total and free test with a lower dosage. I probably average 70-80mg a week, and I'm in the high 600's. I could push it higher, but I don't see any need to be at the top of range.

Plus I have a baseline PSA that I test against every 3 months just to be safe. So far my doctor is happy with it. My estradiol and E2 stay constant, free test numbers are good, and shgb is in range along with hemotocrit and hemoglobin.

As far as recovery, I've always approached it as just a training day. Typically it's your central nervous system that suffers most....so my workouts aren't set in stone. If I feel that I need an extra day of rest.... I take it. I just resume my workout the very next day and continue my normal schedule.

It does throw off my training days at times, but I don't mind it. Plus the Wendler hybrid I'm on has a built in reload roughly every 6-8 weeks....and you get a week of active recovery. This is a big factor as most people want to keep pushing those gains!

Remember....two steps forward...one step back. In the long run it really benefits you!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #285
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I'm on TRT therapy. I'm 45, and my doctor prescribed it to me at age 42. I was in the mid 250 range. Right now I'm taking 80mg a week. I was going to him once every two weeks, but the half-life of my prescription had my E2 levels all over the place.

I've been with the same doctor for over 20 years and he is very cool about it. I took him in some research from Dr. Chrysler.....I believe that's his name spelling, who is an expert in the field. He suggests a much more frequent pinning schedule. My doctor told me that once I got my bottle, it was my decision.

So about a year ago, I started backloading slin pins and pinning everyday. So much easier, plus it seems to elevate your total and free test with a lower dosage. I probably average 70-80mg a week, and I'm in the high 600's. I could push it higher, but I don't see any need to be at the top of range.

Plus I have a baseline PSA that I test against every 3 months just to be safe. So far my doctor is happy with it. My estradiol and E2 stay constant, free test numbers are good, and shgb is in range along with hemotocrit and hemoglobin.

As far as recovery, I've always approached it as just a training day. Typically it's your central nervous system that suffers most....so my workouts aren't set in stone. If I feel that I need an extra day of rest.... I take it. I just resume my workout the very next day and continue my normal schedule.

It does throw off my training days at times, but I don't mind it. Plus the Wendler hybrid I'm on has a built in reload roughly every 6-8 weeks....and you get a week of active recovery. This is a big factor as most people want to keep pushing those gains!

Remember....two steps forward...one step back. In the long run it really benefits you!
It's crazy how our bodies decline as we age. In the last three years my total test levels have gone from 345 ng/dl to 324 ng/ dl on my last physical last August. I don't consume drugs, or have ever used PEDs, water only, and compound exercises and yet suffer with low T. I actually do quite well in the gym, but once home I have no energy. My doctor referred me for a sleep study, but that didn't say crap. Only thing I can think of at this point is adrenal fatigue, and high amounts of caffeine consumption leading to high cortisol levels. Also hear great things about mg, and D3 supplementation and currently doing that.

A buddy of mine (53 years old) who is also on trt says great things about it. My only concern with trt (once I qualify for it) is that primary care docs don't do HCG, or finistride to control elevated Estrodiol, and DHT conversion. I have access to testosterone gels but I am scared of trying it on my own. 80 mg/week is not high...I would be quite happy with my t-levels in the 600 ng/dl range. Do you remember what your free testosterone number before you started TRT?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #286
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
It's crazy how our bodies decline as we age. In the last three years my total test levels have gone from 345 ng/dl to 324 ng/ dl on my last physical last August. I don't consume drugs, or have ever used PEDs, water only, and compound exercises and yet suffer with low T. I actually do quite well in the gym, but once home I have no energy. My doctor referred me for a sleep study, but that didn't say crap. Only thing I can think of at this point is adrenal fatigue, and high amounts of caffeine consumption leading to high cortisol levels. Also hear great things about mg, and D3 supplementation and currently doing that.

A buddy of mine (53 years old) who is also on trt says great things about it. My only concern with trt (once I qualify for it) is that primary care docs don't do HCG, or finistride to control elevated Estrodiol, and DHT conversion. I have access to testosterone gels but I am scared of trying it on my own. 80 mg/week is not high...I would be quite happy with my t-levels in the 600 ng/dl range. Do you remember what your free testosterone number before you started TRT?

If I remember correctly, it was in the 170-180 range. I know it was below 200. I initially went in for the same as you.....fatigue and also just feeling overwhelmed from everything that was going on. Plus my joints actually hurt constantly and I couldn't recover from even easy workouts. I would be wiped out for days.

Never tested cortisol, but my PC specializes in Internal Medicine and very open minded to all of this.

I remembered telling him....something is off....and I do not want pain killers or an anti-inflammatory as that was just treating the symptoms.

I've been through quite a few sleep studies....oddly enough I always aced them with flying colors. My problem is that 4-5 hours....and I'm up and wide awake. Been that way my whole life.

Eventually my PC just told me that different people need different amounts....and I am one that doesn't require a lot of it.

But we could start a different thread on all of this off you like, I feel like we have taken this one off track already....and I apologize to the other guys on here.

We will move the conversation if we can!
Appreciate 0