BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Cancelled Flights (COVID-19)

Today, 09:22 PM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Cancelled Flights (COVID-19)

Anyone have a planned flight cancelled by an airline?

Just a head's up in case you don't know - airlines are required to offer a refund when they cancel a U.S. flight, even if as a result of COVID-19. They can give you the choice of a refund or voucher or something else, but they need to offer the refund if they cancel (but not if you cancel).

A while back, I purchased some domestic tickets for my in-laws for a Memorial Day trip we since decided would not happen due to COVID-19. I did not cancel the flight reservations, instead waiting to see if the flight would be cancelled by the airline. Sure enough it was cancelled by the airline tonight. When I went to the airline's site, there was a pop up asking me to acknowledge and accept a voucher...

There have been a lot of complaints about this issue and the U.S. DOT issued and enforcement notice last Friday:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund

Needless to say, I sent in a note to them to indicate I want a refund (calling would take forever). Hopefully that gets it done without disputing the charge on my credit card or filing a complain with the U.S. DOT.

So if you have a (U.S.) flight cancelled by an airline and prefer a refund, be aware you should get one and don't get tricked by attempts to get you to take a voucher.
      Today, 09:32 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have had the fastest response from airlines (prior to C-19) by posting to their FB page, or for privacy messaging them through FB Messenger
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:34 PM   #3
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

My flight was cancelled by AA for this Thursday but they booked me on another flight same day / similar time. I wouldn't have taken either of these flights at this point due to Covid 19. I ended up calling them expecting at best a flight credit or voucher but they refunded the entire flight no question... was pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0